New Contract 9.5 Question

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Actually the 9.5 language was headed in the right place.

It is.... in the right place.

It is good enforceable language.

So, what are you crying about ??

The problem is it divides the drivers with less than 4 years seniority that management play musical routes with.

And, newbies should be afforded the same consideration.... as a veteran Driver ??

Hall should have seen that coming.

He did.... junior.

Suck it up.

-Bug-

Ron Carey lives on

I got 20 in, bug and I was right there when hall was with Carey. The 97 contract was about recognizing all the ups teamsters, not separating them, get over it

Sent using BrownCafe App

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Newbies? That tells me exactly your mentality about junior members, way to bring them in and make them feel like a brotherhood bug.

It's called paying your dues.

But, that seems to be "forgotten" ideal with this generation of newbies.

You don't get everything handed to you on a silver platter.... you have to earn it.

Being in a Union job, requires it.

I got 20 in.

And, still living in the past of a 1 term General President.

Don't get me wrong.... that was a good time to be a UPS Teamster.

get over it

I am over it.

You need to do the same.

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Actually the 9.5 language was headed in the right place. It is good enforceable language. BUT the problem is it divides the drivers with less than 4 years seniority that management play musical routes

It is.... in the right place.

It is NOT...in the right place and I'll tell you why.
The system in place is designed to play out over multiple grievances in a 5 month period.
It makes no sense to allow the company "a bite of the apple" twice a year.
Why not opt-in until you opt-out?
The way I read it, this system isn't designed to be a vehicle to enable an employee to make extra money, rather an avenue to control unwanted OT.
While I can see why the powers that be would want to protect against employees flip flopping back and forth from on the list to off the list, but why not have it where once you're on the list you stay on for 5 months and beyond until you opt-out?

I have nine total 9.5 grievances dating back to the inception of this language in the Central Region and spans over two 5 month periods.
Not one of them has been paid or even heard at a panel, let alone went before the subsequent committees or Vice Presidents or Union's Co-Chairs as provided for to solve the excessive OT problem.
There is no way for this language to mesh with snails pace local grievance machinery and panel system in place in my state.

Last edited:
It is NOT...in the right place and I'll tell you why.
The system is in place designed to play out over multiple grievances in a 5 month period.
It makes no sense to allow the company "a bite of the apple" twice a year.
Why not opt-in until you opt-out?
The way I read it, this system isn't designed to be a vehicle to enable an employee to make extra money, rather an avenue to control unwanted OT.
While I can see why the powers that be would want to protect against employees flip flopping back and forth from on the list to off the list, but why not have it where once you're on the list you stay on for 5 months and beyond until you opt-out?

I have nine total 9.5 grievances dating back to the inception of this language in the Central Region and spans over two 5 month periods.
Not one of them has been paid or even heard at a panel, let alone went before the subsequent committees or Vice Presidents or Union's Co-Chairs as provided for to solve the excessive OT problem.
There is no way for this language to mesh with snails pace panel system in place in my state.
So are you saying that your business agent or agents are inept? I don't understand how the members can let them not hear grievances or possibly withdraw them without not talking about it. If the members were mad why wouldn't they go to the monthly membership meeting and voice their displeasure?

So are you saying that your business agent or agents are inept? I don't understand how the members can let them not hear grievances or possibly withdraw them without not talking about it. If the members were mad why wouldn't they go to the monthly membership meeting and voice their displeasure?
You couldn't even get them to put a check mark on a ballot. Now you expect them to drive to a union meeting?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The system is in place designed to play out over multiple grievances in a 5 month period.

Why is this such a problem, in your Local ?

Not one of them has been paid or even heard at a panel

Why do you.... let it continue ?

So are you saying that your business agent or agents are inept?

That's what it sounds like.

I don't understand how the members can let them not hear grievances or possibly withdraw them without not talking about it. If the members were mad why wouldn't they go to the monthly membership meeting and voice their displeasure?

Why.... indeed.

I don't understand it.

-Bug-

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
its a touchy situation.

Do I really want to go toe toe and call out the man who will be fighting for my job should something happen?

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
A good leader can make a difference. Weak membership, throws it all away.

Trust me I feel your pain. But atleast our grievances get heard.

Now anything that goes to the panel is another story. The IBT wants nothing to do with us.

It's "funny" how the membership is chastised repeatedly for not entrusting ineptitude?

Yep, it's me against the machine and yet somehow I'm the problem?
I never said you were the problem. In order to be a leader you sometimes have to have courage.

I know you and you have courage. I don't have the years you have in. I've done thing that I was scared to death to do.

Some of what I've made it through was with the help of my local. Some of it had to do with me being one Excederin short of a full medicine cabinet. Whatever it is it was a combination of wanting to help others and make my local better so that I could help out my members.

You know I went through some real bad times and my story isn't the same as your. Nobody's is the same but I hen I started my onslaught I had about ten years in.

All everyone told me is you got a long way to go. You aren't going to make it. How are you going to make it? I wasn't sure but one thing I'm not short on is loyalty, crazy, and courage. Those and a genuine cause that I believe in go me ten more years when they said I couldn't.

One of the times I was taken out a em said that one of the things they don't like about me was that people listened to me. They would follow me to a point. I was very influential. This was before I hooked up with what I have now. The dm didn't like the leader that I was becoming. Courage. Loyalty. Listening to others and taking it all in and coming from the bottom of humanity. That's me bro.

There was a member on this forum who called me out under another name I was using. He said from my posts that I felt sorry for myself. Maybe to a degree but it's drove me to be me. My members are better off with someone like me. My local is better off with someone like me. All I want to do is make things better and I calculate, grind, and plot on how I can do this. This is what makes me me. Proud of it I am.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
There was a member on this forum who called me out under another name I was using. He said from my posts that I felt sorry for myself. Maybe to a degree but it's drove me to be me. My members are better off with someone like me. My local is better off with someone like me. All I want to do is make things better and I calculate, grind, and plot on how I can do this. This is what makes me me. Proud of it I am.
You operate under completely different dynamics than I do locally.
I'm not quitting, just putting it out there in hopes of someone hearing me, rather than dismissing me.

You know, he's not happy so he's TDU.

Damn it, I'm supposed to be in Chicago.
If I leave now, I'll only be 5 hrs late.
Gotta go, have a good day.

By The Book

You operate under completely different dynamics than I do locally.
I'm not quitting, just putting it out there in hopes of someone hearing me, rather than dismissing me.

You know, he's not happy so he's TDU.

Damn it, I'm supposed to be in Chicago.
If I leave now, I'll only be 5 hrs late.
Gotta go, have a good day.
Hey Bubblehead, hang in there! I've been reading your posts and wish the leadership at your local filed on those over 9.5s for everyone. I will say the language is only as strong as the BA who backs you and files on it. Lip service gets old. Lets work with the language we have(enforce it). It will be a tall order to change it now. Lets work on pension improvements and healthcare.

Dr.Brownz

Actually the 9.5 language was headed in the right place. It is good enforceable language. BUT the problem is it divides the drivers with less than 4 years seniority that management play musical routes with. Its a two tier system. Just like 4 years to top out. Ups always trys to divide and conquer, Hall should have seen that coming

Sent using BrownCafe App

That is precisely what is happening in my center. Management has several routes where the bid driver is out on FMLA leave as well as a few unbid split routes and they shuffle the younger drivers through them to make them inelligeble for 9.5. Not to mention the contract says that start times and assignments are to be posted the friday of the preceeding week. NOT HERE. WE have daily assignments. Thinking of grieving but I know what this will do is make it extremely difficult to Request off for an unpaid day off if wanted/needed by higher seniority drivers