New Contract

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would rather have less money now to ensure a secure retirement.

It is hard to blame the plan administrators for the stock market crash or for the fact that we have about 5,000 more retirees than active members.

rocket man

Option days are straight-forward.

More routes is a problematic goal.
The proposal can't say, add more routes but "more routes" has to be a result of a term that results in more routes.

The most common and logical proposal I have seen is to have a sliding scale condition that happens automatically.
This one that I seen on here:
0 - 8 hours - straight time
8 - 9 hours - time and 1/2
9 - 9.5 hours - double hourly pay
9.5 and above - triple pay

One thing that UPS (or any company) reacts to is cost.

Would these terms and conditions be acceptable to you.
nice avatar

40 and out

It is hard to blame the plan administrators for the stock market crash or for the fact that we have about 5,000 more retirees than active members.

How about more money now and we can secure our own retirement. Someone needs to explain to me why we should even be considering any concessions cause I don't understand. Negotiate nothing but improvements. If and when the day comes when UPS is struggling, then and only then talk concessions.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How about more money now and we can secure our own retirement. Someone needs to explain to me why we should even be considering any concessions cause I don't understand. Negotiate nothing but improvements. If and when the day comes when UPS is struggling, then and only then talk concessions.

We are not talking contract concessions----we are talking about diverting raises gained as a result of the ratified contract to shore up an underfunded pension.

I still say that I would have rather have less now (split raises continued to be diverted to pension) in order to have a secure retirement.

Buck Fifty

I'm confused. How do you know to vote "No" before you've even read it? Do you still vote "No" if it's a good contract???

You would be. Are you also naive enough to think that UPS would offer the best contract on the first go around. Voting No gives us the most leverage. The contract is only a good one if its good for everybody, not just a select few. We know thats not what the company we work for has in mind. They prove it to me everyday. Let me know when you read thru it though.

40 and out

We are not talking contract concessions----we are talking about diverting raises gained as a result of the ratified contract to shore up an underfunded pension.

I still say that I would have rather have less now (split raises continued to be diverted to pension) in order to have a secure retirement.

I think where you are,you still have a decent pension. Where I am, the pension is only $300 more a month than it was TWENTY years ago. Its gotten to the point where its better than not having one at all, but thats about it. I can pretty much guarantee it won't be going up anytime soon. By the time I retire it may not even be 25% of my pay. So I say go for all the raise we can get and we can invest much of it towards our retirement. My pension is quickly becoming almost insignificant and throwing any extra money at it at his point is a BAD idea.

barnyard

KTM rider

The blame would go to the conservatives that keep pushing to deregulate banks and stock brokers.

Logb17

Make every day a planned 8 hour day.

I like the double time over 9.5 hours for EVERYONE!

I would actually like my job if I wasn't working 10-11 hours a day..

UPS would make sure to dispatch under 9.5 if they knew they had to pay double after 9.5, and wouldn't send cover drivers out with 30 more stops then the regular driver.

anonymous4

Longer progression? I will be waiting over a decade just to make full time to wait another half a decade to top out? Open your eyes. I am crossing my fingers the only teamster idiotic enough to vote for any contract with two tiered wages and longer progressions go by the name "Upstatenyupers".

What do you want to pay me? Less than full time insiders after waiting 15 years? How about we slash every new full timers pay while making them wait even longer to get to top rate, while also continually allowing the company to not fill the full time jobs that do open up. Time to drive is 10 years in my center, time to go full time inside is getting close to 15 years in its current state. WAKE UP.

HULKAMANIA

Longer progression? I will be waiting over a decade just to make full time to wait another half a decade to top out? Open your eyes. I am crossing my fingers the only teamster idiotic enough to vote for any contract with two tiered wages and longer progressions go by the name "Upstatenyupers".

What do you want to pay me? Less than full time insiders after waiting 15 years? How about we slash every new full timers pay while making them wait even longer to get to top rate, while also continually allowing the company to not fill the full time jobs that do open up. Time to drive is 10 years in my center, time to go full time inside is getting close to 15 years in its current state. WAKE UP.

I agree with you 110%! People talk about longer progression when they never went through it. 3 years is too long if you ask me. You are doing the same exact job-if not harder than anybody else since you are the LOW guy and getting paid half the amount for the duration of 3 years?!?!?!?! What alot of you guys arent realizing is and I can say this is true even for myself. How many of you would actually do this job IF the pay was less than what it is? So many of the younger people who come into this job do it for the soul purpose that many of you did--30 bucks an hour. You take that out of the equation, and add in a longer progression and let me tell you the kind of drivers you are gonna get for the next crop. Then UPS will go downhill even more! Nobody anymore wants to work as hard as we do and get rewarded less!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I went through progession just like everyone else. I forget how long it was (24 months?) but I went through it.

I hope that there are no changes to our current wage system and that we all continue to receive contractual raises and paid benefits.

I am also a realist and I know that in order for us to remain competitive with Ground we must begin to control our labor costs.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
This topic is subjective to every ones personal opinion, as are all topics. I don't recall anyone here saying that they wanted a longer progression. We were and are discussing what the possibilities are and what UPS might go after. Progression is very likely on the list as are our benefits.

HULK - you say "
People talk about longer progression when they never went through it."
I understand what you mean but to make a blanket statement like that is inviting rebuttal. We all went through progression. Be more specific.

I got lucky and of this I have NO doubt. I got in at the right time and went to FT in less than 10 months, but I still had to go through progression to make top driver pay.

HULKAMANIA

Ok I apolagize for the vague statement. I wasnt saying as something personal to anybody on this site. The majority of the drivers in my center their progression was what 6 weeks if that. Theres a couple that was 2 years. As a whole though Im sure we can all realize that the majority of the drivers in this work force didnt go through the 3 year progression. My whole argument is the fact that 3 years is already too long, and to even consider making it longer is just absurd.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Are you sure you mean progression as opposed to probation? My progression was 2 years and that seemed like forever. I hope that they don't lengthen the progression.

HULKAMANIA

Lol sounds as confusing as UPS as normal huh. But no the guys I have spoken with in my center are just blown away at the 3 years, they look at me like HUH we worked for like 6 weeks when we started and was topped out. Granted these are senior drivers, but the point is still the same 3 years is insane. 2 years would suck to, Im not taking away what you guys went through at all. If they go more than 3 years whats next? Why not just make the entire job a waiting game so they can get out of paying benfits and actually having to pay you a FAIR DAYS WAGE like they proclaim. When I went to Integrad I heard that stupid saying probably 9000 times.

barnyard

KTM rider
(Rolling eyes)

Really????

Big business = conservatives = deregulation.

Our investments, both 401k and pension plan investments need to be regulated in order to avoid both dramatic increases and decreases in value. The housing bubble just about destroyed many pension plans, ponzi schemes did destroy some. These industries need to be regulated to avoid the kind of bailouts that many pension plans are going to need in the coming years.

In the end, it does not matter if a person has an individual account or a guaranteed plan, if investment bankers are allowed to pee away my investments and maintain a liberal salary and bonuses, there is little to no expectation that money will be there for my retirement.

beentheredonethat

Lol sounds as confusing as UPS as normal huh. But no the guys I have spoken with in my center are just blown away at the 3 years, they look at me like HUH we worked for like 6 weeks when we started and was topped out. Granted these are senior drivers, but the point is still the same 3 years is insane. 2 years would suck to, Im not taking away what you guys went through at all. If they go more than 3 years whats next? Why not just make the entire job a waiting game so they can get out of paying benfits and actually having to pay you a FAIR DAYS WAGE like they proclaim. When I went to Integrad I heard that stupid saying probably 9000 times.

I was a driver back in 1990. Progression then was 2 years. Seniority was around 30 days. (Can't remember exactly). Not sure what occurred before then, but 2 years had been in place for decades.