New Courier At Fedex Blues...

bbsam

Staff member
I just had Anthem Blue Cross deny payment on a stress test last March. Hospital is now saying I owe the $7200. If I were at UPS I wouldn't even owe the $1600 I'm still paying on. And if I had UPS pay I could save more, invest more, leave sooner if I chose to. My mgr could act like a Marine drill sergeant for all I care if they paid me better. FedEx is very much like the old Soviet Union. We do everything for the company, and in return they give us enough to get by. Why would anyone want better pay and benefits when they can have that?
What does that have to do with being polite to newcomers?

vantexan

I believe MFE was stating that it would be difficult to state that they've got it worse over at UPS. People work hard at both companies. People deal with jackasses at both companies. But at least you get rewarded at UPS and aren't at the edge of bankruptcy if you have a health issue. Not everyone sees FedEx the way MFE does? Let's take 100 applicants off the street, tell them there are exactly 100 openings each at the local UPS and FedEx, and honestly explain all the plusses and minuses of each company. I wonder how many will go with FedEx?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Nice, MFE. Her first post and you have to be acidic in your reply. You haven't changed one bit since I got here. Still hard for you to fathom that not everyone sees Fedex exactly as you do or that UPSers aren't exactly happy in their situation.

You forget. I've worked for both. The average UPS driver is light years ahead of where we are at. Acidic? Hardly. Just saying it is what it is.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

He's making the point that he probably wouldn't have to play the Sedgwick game if he worked for UPS. This is another angle of the FedEx scam, which is denying legitimate medical claims.

Anyone who comes on here saying that we've got it way better than UPS deserves an honest rebuttal, not some phony greeting.

armymom

I feel I can make such comments since I'm a FedEx courier (13 years) and married to a UPS driver who just retired after 35 years. Trust me....I have things a lot better than he ever did
and I'll gladly take less pay for being treated better than Brown! I have to say...in our station we are treated with respect. I'm truly fortunate to have two great managers.

bbsam

Staff member
You forget. I've worked for both. The average UPS driver is light years ahead of where we are at. Acidic? Hardly. Just saying it is what it is.
You forget. I've worked for both too. I'm quite happy being where I am and wouldn't even consider trading places.

armymom

I believe MFE was stating that it would be difficult to state that they've got it worse over at UPS. People work hard at both companies. People deal with jackasses at both companies. But at least you get rewarded at UPS and aren't at the edge of bankruptcy if you have a health issue. Not everyone sees FedEx the way MFE does? Let's take 100 applicants off the street, tell them there are exactly 100 openings each at the local UPS and FedEx, and honestly explain all the plusses and minuses of each company. I wonder how many will go with FedEx?

You are correct....there are jackasses at both companies....But Rewarded at UPS? I think not...... When my husband retired from UPS at the end of August, his supervisors and Center Manager didn't even say congrats, kiss my ass or give a hand shake. One supervisor asked if he would like to show up the week AFTER his retirement for cake and his "oh so kind" Center Manager still has his retirement plaque and other items sitting in his office. They may make good money, but being treated like you are less than human is all I have seen from this UPS Center. I'll stick with FedEx....

vantexan

You are correct....there are jackasses at both companies....But Rewarded at UPS? I think not...... When my husband retired from UPS at the end of August, his supervisors and Center Manager didn't even say congrats, kiss my ass or give a hand shake. One supervisor asked if he would like to show up the week AFTER his retirement for cake and his "oh so kind" Center Manager still has his retirement plaque and other items sitting in his office. They may make good money, but being treated like you are less than human is all I have seen from this UPS Center. I'll stick with FedEx....

Good for you!! You have a nice home, vehicles, company paid healthcare, and nice retirement provided by your husband's company and you get to work in a nicer environment. I guess those of us who don't have a well paid spouse should just settle for what we get and like it! And don't kid yourself, women get treated better by male mgrs. And I've worked for a number of good mgrs at FedEx but the majority weren't people I would trust and they could be pretty harsh. If your mgrs are good people be thankful.

Ricochet1a

Oh please...

The worst you can throw at UPS is that your husband didn't get his going away party during his actual last week and his manager didn't remember to present him with his plaque for years of service.

Sour grapes don't make a compelling argument for Express being such a better place for a career compared to UPS.

You definately enjoyed the benefits of that income your husband made while he worked at UPS.

Had your husband been an Express Courier for all that time, would your lifestyle have been any different?

Of course it would've - your husband would've been bringing in about 75% of what he did with UPS (since he started in 1976, he would've topped out rapidly with Express, so his overall compensation compared to UPS wouldn't have been short changed as much had he started much later).

"They may make good money"...

Well, hate to break the news, but Express treats its people rather poorly too - or hadn't you noticed?

So, if you know you are going to be treated poorly, what do you do? Take the job the pays or take the job that pays less.

Tough decision....

I guess a free hamburger and soda every once and awhile make up for the poor wages. I guess you do believe that "FedEx Cares".

There are some like you in every station, I bet Fred wishes he had about 25,000 more - his problems would be solved.

Ricochet1a

Don't care. Welcome to the new world order. I have excepted my role in it. Others may choose to do as they will. I'm not interested in a revolution.

Well at least you're honest.

So your "accepted" role is to make every buck you can and to blazes for those who happen to be unfortunate enough to work for you?

I'm going to presume a "bbsam Cares" banner isn't hanging in your garage.

It doesn't take a revolution to change things, but it does take a conscience.

It is true we all have a "price" that someone else must pay - for each us to act contrary to our individual conscience - I'm thankful my price is much higher than yours appears to have been.

Selling out to the likes of Fred wouldn't have been tolerable to me.

No one is asking you to trade places with your drivers; but the disregard you show for those who work to enrich you is absolutely disgusting to me.

armymom

Good for you!! You have a nice home, vehicles, company paid healthcare, and nice retirement provided by your husband's company and you get to work in a nicer environment. I guess those of us who don't have a well paid spouse should just settle for what we get and like it! And don't kid yourself, women get treated better by male mgrs. And I've worked for a number of good mgrs at FedEx but the majority weren't people I would trust and they could be pretty harsh. If your mgrs are good people be thankful.

Just an FYI....we do have a nice home, vehicles, etc. Ups no longer provides our Insurance because of the cost when you retire and my husband and I sacraficed a lot to work in this profession and get where we are today. But this was our choice! If so many of you are unhappy at FedEx, why arent you employed somewhere else? If I were that unhappy, I would not continue to do this job.We are both very appreciative of both companies for the life they have provided us. I could go all day on the differences between the companies but it's was still our choice to do what we do. I thinkwe would all be bitchin if we were standing in the soup line and didn't have our jobs.

bbsam

Staff member
Well at least you're honest.

So your "accepted" role is to make every buck you can and to blazes for those who happen to be unfortunate enough to work for you?

I'm going to presume a "bbsam Cares" banner isn't hanging in your garage.

It doesn't take a revolution to change things, but it does take a conscience.

It is true we all have a "price" that someone else must pay - for each us to act contrary to our individual conscience - I'm thankful my price is much higher than yours appears to have been.

Selling out to the likes of Fred wouldn't have been tolerable to me.

No one is asking you to trade places with your drivers; but the disregard you show for those who work to enrich you is absolutely disgusting to me.
My role is to get packages delivered in a defined area. I hire drivers to do that. Whether they are "unfortunate" is your own adjective and they may or may not feel the same. They do show up to work everyday however, so my guess is that they feel relatively fortunate compared to the alternatives.

No. There is no "bbsam cares" banner anywhere in existence.

You tried to change things with your conscience. How'd that work? In fact, you and I seem to have come to the same conclusion around here. People come here to bitch and complain and add their conscience to the chorus of discontent, but where does it get them? Where is the action that will bring about change?

Contrary to our individual conscience? Absolutely not. I simply don't feel I am the cure for all of capitalism's ills. Remember, I came up through RPS. RPS was a step up from driving a cab. A big step. You tell me, why do people work for me? Nothing better out there? A step up from where they were before? They choose to stay, do they not? So what act am I committing that I should feel shame for? How am I acting "contrary to my indiviual conscience"?

I do respect you for getting out of Fedex and have recommended the same for many as have you. Have we both not said, "Either make the best of a bad situation or make exit plans and get out?" You have done one, I have done the other. You say I sold out, I could say that you pussed out. Either way we've made our decisions.

Let's not fool ourselves with the populist dribble. Nobody comes to work for me to "enrich" me. They come with their own reasons and stay for their own reasons. I have been in my driver's shoes over the years and I certainly don't apologize for the shoes I wear today. Disgusting? Life isn't always pretty.