New Courier At Fedex Blues...

Ricochet1a

On the subject of "Reasonable and Customary Fees", I pulled the following from a Q&A site whose responder to the topic claimed he is more or less a "professional" in the area.

Insurersadopt their own methods of calculating "Reasonable and Customary Rates."Typically, an insurer's "out of network" rate is based on the averagefee for the service charged in a given geographic area, minus a percentagedetermined by the insurer. The Medicare rate MAY be used, but, unless yourstate's laws require it, insurers don't always use the Medicare rate as anindicator of reasonable and customary. Some insurers purchase fee schedulesfrom other companies. However, all insurers consider their fee schedules to be"proprietary" (confidential information belonging to the insurer, notshared with the public).

If your physician is "non-participating" (doesn't have a contract)with your insurer, he or she is NOT under any obligation to accept thereasonable and customary payment, and you may be balance billed. If yourphysician is participating (has a contract) with your insurer, you may not bebalance billed, except for co-payments and/or co-insurance (if applicable). Ifyou are being balance billed by a participating physician, contact your insurerand ask that it step in to assist you.

It has been my experience that providers have fee schedules that are about 2 to 3 times what is considered to be R&C for a given procedure. It is the classic "high ball" technique of starting off billing negotiations.

As part of a real health care reform, this practice should be made illegal. There should be a "free market" for providers - with the restriction that they can't legally bill a certain percentage above a given percentage of the state's determined R&C amount. The fact that R&C amounts are considered "proprietary" should also be disallowed, and all R&C schedules should be public domain.

The fact that you cannot get a straight answer out of a provider as to how much a procedure will cost you speaks volumes as to the need to change how heatlh care is financed.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Still waiting for "armymom" to provide the market level of her station and remarkable progression to "almost topped-out" after only 13 years. Plant, fake, phony.

armymom

Still waiting for "armymom" to provide the market level of her station and remarkable progression to "almost topped-out" after only 13 years. Plant, fake, phony.

Don't care what you are waiting on or what you think......You have called me a liar and a phony one too many times and no matter what I say you make a joke of it or try to discredit me. Worry about your own self and I will worry about me. I really don't think my information is your concern anymore....So now just make up whatever you want and post it....really don't care!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Don't care what you are waiting on or what you think......You have called me a liar and a phony one too many times and no matter what I say you make a joke of it or try to discredit me. Worry about your own self and I will worry about me. I really don't think my information is your concern anymore....So now just make up whatever you want and post it....really don't care!

Simply post the market level of your station and your currently hourly rate. If you want credibility on this site, you need to back-up the claims you make. You are anonymous and shouldn't have an issue with providing such basic information.

armymom

Simply post the market level of your station and your currently hourly rate. If you want credibility on this site, you need to back-up the claims you make. You are anonymous and shouldn't have an issue with providing such basic information.
I'm not worried about my credibility with you any more! I don't have to prove anything! Hey why don't you post the market level of you station and your current hourly rate? And I do have an issue with posting anything personal now!

Cactus

Just telling it like it is

Ricochet1a

We would, but where's our LEGAL REPRESENTATION gonna come from?

You fill it out and then keep your mouth shut. FedEx management doesn't need to know you've signed a representation card.

The process would have to be kept from the knowledge of local station management. They would obviously know that the employees were talking about signing cards, but you keep it quiet and if they ask you (which is illegal), you merely deny that you've signed a card - don't start a confrontation you cannot win.

If a bunch of handlers in Massachusetts can pull it off (sign representation cards in sufficient quantities to get enough for a certification election off the ground) - I'm sure Express Couriers, RTDs,Ramp Agents and Mechanics can do the same. Whether the Teamsters would follow through with an election once enough cards are signed - that's another story.

I'll have more hopefully later this week, but the employees of Express are going to have to do the organizing work themselves - the Teamsters won't offer a bit of help until they have enough signed representation cards in hand. If you are expecting some form of legal assistance from the Teamsters (or any other union) BEFORE they have won a certification election - you'll be waiting a long time.

The choice is what it has always been for Express employees - accept what Fred is giving you or try to organize (with no outside assistance) to be able to bargain as a unit with Express. Another alternative is to do what I and many others I know did, leave.

I honestly don't think enough Express employees will EVER sign representation cards, but if I wasn't able to leave Express, I'd still would've made a good effort towards unionizing. I'm still putting forth effort to at least get a certification election possible - I think of it as pay back to Fred for the headache he caused me and many others that think like I do.

If you've decided you can't or don't want to leave Express, then you have a choice to make. If you decide you don't want to try to organize, then all the bitching that takes place on this list is just an anonymous vent session - why bother? If you really believe that something is wrong at Express for the wage employees (and even the salaried employees who had their pension gutted too, they can't organize though) and have made the decision to stay no matter what - you really have no logical alternative BUT to sign representation cards and fight back.

So what is it going to be? Anonymous bitch session or a constructive effort to change things for the better for the wage employees?

You're not going to get any outside help until a critical mass is reached - no point in getting your hopes up about that. If you are so fearful that the machine of FedEx will bite back - then best make a departure plan now. The machine of FedEx will indeed try to bite back once it is clear that critical mass has been reached - you keep your mouth shut to FedEx management, watch all their anti-union presentations and wait.

Really, all it takes is enough people signing cards to get the ball rolling. Actively campaigning at your work location is akin to suicide. If you are serious, you'll have to distribute representation cards with a bit of literature without management knowing who did it. I know from experience that anything with "Teamsters" printed on it within an Express station is treated about as seriously as a radioactive DG spill (clear the area for 40 feet, call DG admin and wait for disaster response to appear). In this case call corporate HR, clear the area and begin an investigation into who brought subversive material into an Express facility.

It would be an uphill battle (why Fred holds on to his RLA status at all costs), but you have no alternative if you want a better deal with Express. Do you really think the doing away with the performance review is going to result in shortened top out times? If you are thinking that, then there is indeed no point to your complaining about what Express is offering, you'll just continue to take it year after year.

As I've said, I'm out - I saw the direction Express was going, knew I didn't want to move into a salaried position with the way the entire company was being molded and left as soon as I completed my Masters and obtained other employment. The vast majority don't have the option I had. So you are left either accepting what Fred is shoveling on you, or organizing to fight back. I have never been too keen on getting dumped on - especially when I knew I had other options. What about you?

vantexan

The problem is that the vast overwhelming majority of couriers don't have a clue about how to sign up or even if that's an option. It would take people willing at every station to try and educate others. Most stations probably don't have someone willing so it'll be up to the Teamsters to approach people and tell them about signing up and what, where, and why. If the Teamsters aren't willing then this is a dead issue. Will never happen.

Ricochet1a

The problem is that the vast overwhelming majority of couriers don't have a clue about how to sign up or even if that's an option. It would take people willing at every station to try and educate others. Most stations probably don't have someone willing so it'll be up to the Teamsters to approach people and tell them about signing up and what, where, and why. If the Teamsters aren't willing then this is a dead issue. Will never happen.

You're absolutely right, it will take a core of people at each and every station to advocate signing representation cards and starting a quiet campaign.

The Teamsters have already made it absolutely clear they aren't going to spend any real effort to attempt to organize Express. So it is up to the employees and those sympathetic to the situation.

It isn't a dead issue, it is an issue the employees will have to take up on their own.

Again, is this all going to be an anonymous bitch session, or a method by which something is accomplished? The UPSers use BC to communicate among themselves to better understand what the company is doing, so they have a better idea of what demands to include in their next contract negotiation. Express employees don't have any communciations forum like this, since Express deliberately makes sure employees don't communciate via official company channels - and informal, public channels simply don't exist. BC is about as good as it gets for an informal channel.

Frankly, I do agree that the employees of Express WON'T do anything except bitch and moan about how bad things are. However, that doesn't mean that there aren't a few that are willing to take positive action for change. If enough do decide to take action, it may be possible to get certification done - but it is a long shot, however it is the only shot the employees of Express have.

I frankly decided years ago that Express was going into the tubes (as far as a company with which to have a career), so I used my time to finish off my education and got the hell out. That would be my advice to EVERYONE there now - make plans to get out as soon as you can.

However, some are unwilling (yourself) or unable to get out. For those, they have two choices - accept the crap Fred is dishing out or do something to change the status quo. I have never found that spending time bitching about something, accomplished much without some positive action to back it up.

Use the link I provided to the Teamsters to get yourself set up as an informal organizer. You can start informally handing out literature and doing the footwork to make change. All the complaining in the world without action to back it up is worthless - might as well save yourself the time and effort and do something else with your free time.

vantexan

You may be right, but I'm pretty certain that the company does monitor this forum. I bet that some with actual power do consider points we make. It may well be that we've had some influence in their decisions. As for anyone quietly trying to get people to sign up, I find that many stations, and I've worked at quite a few, are hotbeds of gossip. And many mgrs participate in gossip with their employees. And that some employees can't wait to run to management with the latest news. Any employee looking to influence others to sign up might as well put a bullseye on his back. When I want management to know how I feel about something I just tell certain coworkers. It's extremely efficient and helps me avoid confrontations.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You may be right, but I'm pretty certain that the company does monitor this forum. I bet that some with actual power do consider points we make. It may well be that we've had some influence in their decisions. As for anyone quietly trying to get people to sign up, I find that many stations, and I've worked at quite a few, are hotbeds of gossip. And many mgrs participate in gossip with their employees. And that some employees can't wait to run to management with the latest news. Any employee looking to influence others to sign up might as well put a bullseye on his back. When I want management to know how I feel about something I just tell certain coworkers. It's extremely efficient and helps me avoid confrontations.
I had a surprisingly candid conversation with an MD a few weeks ago. His boss (the regional VP) is known as a real tyrant, and the MD was pretty blunt about both his dislike for the VP and the current push for productivity. Much of it was "hypothetical", but I was amazed (and impressed) that there is an obvious pushback from within management.

Ricochet1a

You (vantexan) obviously can't make any public comment about organizing under your BC "ID". You have identified yourself publically, so you can't tie anything to yourself.

However, others can engage in a quiet, behind the scenes effort to at least get some literature out. Use the following link to get set up with the Teamsters to get some direct information (don't expect much):

http://teamsterair.org/contact

To see what the Teamsters are really interested in with regards to those that would be covered under their airline division (it isn't pretty for Express wage employees)

http://teamsterair.org/campaigns

Finally, the link (again) to get yourself set up as an organzier at your location:

http://www.teamster.org/content/organizing-assistance-request-form

If you really believe that you'd be better off with a collective bargaining agreement, then start doing something other than bitching about the situation. The Teamsters aren't going to send out a team to hold everyone's hand and make sure Fred plays nice - won't happen. This is something that the employees of Express are going to have to do all the heavy lifting on. The best chance the employees had of gettting the RLA status pulled came and went - the Democrats blew that (along with a boat load of other things in 2009-2010). Given the current political climate, it will be at least another 6 years before Express is looking at having to defend its RLA status again - by that time, Express will have completed its reorganization and it will be too late.

By trying to get a union into Express, you are going up against a corporate machine that has spent in excess of $100 million in the past few years JUST to keep the RLA status in place for Express. If Fred has to spend $50 million a year from now on to keep the Teamsters out, he will do just that and think nothing of it - it is all a cost of doing business for him.

When going up against a corporate colossus such as this, you can't openly confront company management - you have to stay in the shadows and always have an element of deniability regarding your actions. It isn't what one can characterize as "fair play" - the stakes for FedEx are high, so they will do everything they can to prevent a successful unionization drive, including using trumped up allegations of shoddy work performance to give them cover to get rid of you without facing charges of retaliation merely for union activity.

Hand out literature without anyone seeing you actually placing it. Place information on fellow coworkers automobiles (if they are parked without video surveillance), Set up an email account that isn't identifiable to you, then try to get the email accounts of coworkers and "spam" the hell out of them with unionization info. Those that have the least bit of interest will repond, the others will have your email automatically moved into their spam filter.

The Teamsters have more suggestions as to ways to get out information without you being linked to it.

Sitting back and waiting for someone else to make things better for you isn't going to get a damn thing accomplished. If Express is spending millions of bucks a year to keep you from having a realistic chance of organizing - they fear that happenstance more than they dislike paying to keep their status.

Ricochet1a

I had a surprisingly candid conversation with an MD a few weeks ago. His boss (the regional VP) is known as a real tyrant, and the MD was pretty blunt about both his dislike for the VP and the current push for productivity. Much of it was "hypothetical", but I was amazed (and impressed) that there is an obvious pushback from within management.

Most wage employees would be VERY surprised about how just how many frontline managers are engaged in a "push back" against Express. They did indeed make a career decision (I made the decision way back to eventually get out rather than taking the "leap") and are now rather pissed off about how things are going. Where does everyone think all the information coming out of Express is coming from - wage employees?

Right now, Fred's biggest liability is what he did to the "real FedEx-ers" (the salaried workforce). The pension was slashed over 60% in real value, wage cuts went into place back into 2009 (which haven't been restored) and bonus payments are uncommon now. Now with the current environment, not many front line managers are enjoying what they are doing now.

vantexan

Our current MD is someone who actually is willing to listen and seems to "get it". Very different than certain corporate types who use condescending double talk. Had a 30 min telephone conversation with him on a Sunday morning back in March.

vantexan

Hey R1a, got my hopes up big time a couple of years ago and I bet many others did too. It looks like a pointless exercise at this point and if a union is to ever happen it'll have to have active Teamsters participation. They appear to want us to do all the legwork and take the risks and if it somehow all magically works out they'll want to receive our dues. It's just not going to happen. If there's a shot in 6 years great but won't help me as I'll be gone. More power to you but until the Teamsters make a serious visible effort it's just too risky for most people to even consider.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Hey, everyone! Let's not forget what a great company this is and that The Teamsters are Commies who want to take over the American way of life! I've been here 3 months and I'm already topped-out! God bless Fred S because he's a "job creator"!.

vantexan

Hey, everyone! Let's not forget what a great company this is and that The Teamsters are Commies who want to take over the American way of life! I've been here 3 months and I'm already topped-out! God bless Fred S because he's a "job creator"!.

I knew you'd come around eventually!

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

Purple is good, brown is bad. Purple is right, brown is wrong. You have no other life than FedEx. Unions = no job and no security.

Sign here in your first born's blood __________________.

This is going to be in offer letters from now on.

CharleyHustle

The Teamsters aren't going to send out a team to hold everyone's hand and make sure Fred plays nice - won't happen. This is something that the employees of Express are going to have to do all the heavy lifting on.

This is the way it always has been, is now and will always be.

Even in a currently unionized environment like UPS the "lifting" is done by the rank and file. Filing grievances and enforcing the contract is almost all done on the front line. The International and the locals take most of their action based on what happens on the shop floor. The best example is how UPS part timers generally are perceived to get the shaft because not surprisingly they are the least vocal.

The Teamsters are just not an endless money machine that can just commit and match the millions like Fred can. Most locals and the International are on shaky financial ground and have neither the time or money or man power to commit to a drive where the first show of muscle by Fred the employees turn tail and run. FedEx can only be unionized when a large majority of the work force will risk their job for it, and not before. The hard truth is that in any organizing effort, people lose their jobs, employees get fired, sad but true. My opinion is in no way have the employees at express reached this tipping point.

You will say, and perhaps correctly, that it is in the best interest of UPS teamsters to see FedEx organized. My opinion is that most UPS hourly just don't (rightly or wrongly) consider FedEx much of a threat. Then again even if every UPSer actively engaged themselves in an organizing effort, the "heaviest lifting" will still have to be done by the FedEx hourly. This means some will lose their jobs and some will be fired, just the way it is.