New courier kills Sprinter

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Vehicle probably had previous brake issues and the other couriers were waiting for someone else to write it up in the VIR.

!Retired!

They will have a (ahem) 'unbiased' mechanic to determine if the brakes were working properly. He will, undoubtedly, find the brakes were working properly.....if he wants more work from FedEx in the future.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
They will have a (ahem) 'unbiased' mechanic to determine if the brakes were working properly. He will, undoubtedly, find the brakes were working properly.....if he wants more work from FedEx in the future.
More than likely that's true. Just another way to screw the little guy because they can. Wouldn't blame the guy if he just quit if this turns out not in his favor.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
NO way is this totaled. Vehicle Maintenance will hammer out the dents, toss some new stickers on it and put a note next to the fuel gauge not to over half a tank a diesel. It will be on the road tomorrow.
I saw this happen at ups when they were trying to get rid of the sprinters. Slid on ice hit a tree just like this but much smaller tree. Estimated at $6000 of damage. Ups totaled it out and charges the driver with the cost of a replacement.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

More than likely that's true. Just another way to screw the little guy because they can. Wouldn't blame the guy if he just quit if this turns out not in his favor.

If the courier was truly not at fault (not on his cell phone or Power Pad) and it really was the brakes, what would stop him from having his lawyer request a third party mechanic do his own inspection?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If the courier was truly not at fault (not on his cell phone or Power Pad) and it really was the brakes, what would stop him from having his lawyer request a third party mechanic do his own inspection?

Nothing. But total brake failures are rare, and the fact that it happened on their first day seems just a bit questionable. I don't know how they do it in Iowa, but someone independent should be doing the checking anyway.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Nothing. But total brake failures are rare, and the fact that it happened on their first day seems just a bit questionable. I don't know how they do it in Iowa, but someone independent should be doing the checking anyway.

Our mechanics are certified to perform state inspections for the package cars and tractors.

fedex_rtd

I saw this happen at ups when they were trying to get rid of the sprinters. Slid on ice hit a tree just like this but much smaller tree. Estimated at $6000 of damage. Ups totaled it out and charges the driver with the cost of a replacement.
Not sure what state you work in, but in the state of California, there is no such thing as docking an employees pay for messing up like this. H*ll if the employee were a part time FedEx Express employee having to pay for a replacement sprinter would cause the poor bastard to work indebted for a few years LOL

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Not sure what state you work in, but in the state of California, there is no such thing as docking an employees pay for messing up like this. H*ll if the employee were a part time FedEx Express employee having to pay for a replacement sprinter would cause the poor bastard to work indebted for a few years LOL
Ups doesn't make you pay for the truck. The dollar figure only indicates the seriousness of the accident. High dollar amount better chance of a firing sticking basically.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Ups doesn't make you pay for the truck. The dollar figure only indicates the seriousness of the accident. High dollar amount better chance of a firing sticking basically.

Thank you for the clarification as I read it the same way fedex_rtd did.