New Cover Driver and Peak, Bad Timing?

JamminOn

Hey guys I have an interesting situation I was hoping to find a concrete answer on. I recently got back from driving school and was told I was going right in to a cover position.

Cover drivers in our facility have been working full time due to FT drivers retiring/going feeder or just a combination of sick and vaca. A buddy of mine went cover last year, a month before peak so he was able to get in his 30 day probation…

I read that it would be cutting it close if I were to begin my cover driving next week as it would overlap into Peak and from what I heard, you can't qualify for a driving position during peak.

Our facility has been hurting for drivers thus why they have all been working FT, so that had me excited but also concerned if I'm not going to be able to qualify and what would this mean for me after peak is over?

Thanks for any and all info guys and gals!!

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
It is called free time from Nov to Jan. But if they really need a driver. You can qualify during peak. Consider yourself lucky. Most have 10 yr wait.

nystripe96

Any chance you get to go driving you take it. I started driving Sept 2013 & didn't make book until February 2014. Point is you'll be working a lot through peak regardless. As long as you work safe and show them you're a good worker you'll be ok

JamminOn

true and i tried to do my research on this topic by using the search and the FAQ I simply didn't see this situation pertaining to peak, but yes i can see how it can be a newbie type of Q

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I read that it would be cutting it close if I were to begin my cover driving next week as it would overlap into Peak and from what I heard, you can't qualify for a driving position during peak.

Our facility has been hurting for drivers thus why they have all been working FT, so that had me excited but also concerned if I'm not going to be able to qualify and what would this mean for me after peak is over?
Depends on your area but here if you bid into a p/t cover driving position your peak season days do count towards qualifying. It actually makes things a little easier because you won't be under a microscope.

Either way, being the lowest seniority cover driver, after peak season is over you probably won't get much work for a few months. Save your peak season money, trust me on that one.