new cover driver HELP !

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Heffernan, what is the reason for sheeting 2 stops?

Another hijacked thread !!

I found it funny all day that a few drivers are throwing around "padding stops" and "falsifying records" about delivering ground with air. You do realize that the diad has both an air stop and a ground stop for the same address. Your stop count REFLECTS 2 stops for the same address. There is no falsifying or denying that fact.

If I leave the building with 150 stops, management expects me to deliver 150 stops. Eventhough I have a repeat address on my car, one is reflected as an AIR stop, the other as a GROUND stop. The center does not force you to deliver both at the same time. If you have time to do it, then its reflected as 2 stops.

SPOHR also is involved here because if someone chooses to deliver 2 stops as 1, then his SPOHR is effected. Doing this multiple times in a day will lead to a negative reflection on that number. Your on-car sup and center manager's morning is based on the center team's SPOHR. By taking 2 stops on your car, and making it 1, you are taking away real stops away from the center that is dropping its SPOHR.

If you have 150 stops everyday and you always end up with 145 because of this, they will have to increase your stop count to get your routes target SPOHR in range. THAT IS WHY YOU TAKE CREDIT FOR THE STOPS IN YOUR DIAD.

PS - This was backed up by my management team this morning !

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
So, let me get this straight: My first stop is WalMart. Let's say I have 50 ground and 10 NDA, all loaded together because my loader is able to think for himself and does not follow PAS on bulk stops. You are saying I should sheet the ground separately from the air so I should start, say, with the ground, scan them and set any NDA aside until the ground is done, prerecord the stop, scan the NDA, prerecord that stop, do a MLA, have them sign, and then complete the stop, putting 25 Consumer Sq as the LA address. That is just way too much work just to get credit for one stop and, yes, you are padding stops and falsifying records.

If you followed proper loading dock methods, you would have your air segregated from the rest of your packages anyways.

I could care less how you sheet or sign for your route. Do what you feel is right. No one should take what is said in a forum as gospel anyways. The important thing is to do what YOUR OWN management team wants you to do. If 100 people listened to you about sheeting closed monday packages as Closed Holiday, there would be 100 drivers fired. It all depends on each driver's center on what is to be done and what they can get away with.

No such person

Southern Ct.
I've ben a cover for three years, what really helps me is getting to know the bid drivers and what their stops are, so when I something like 148 East Ave., 32 packages for 9 different offices, I know who to go ask for advice. And while you're at it ask if there's anything else you should know, like odd numbered houses on the even side of the street, most guys are good about telling you what you need to know.

SKAGITDRIVER

1 stop at a time dont worry about shelf #8 you will get to it, concentrate on the stop at hand, buy a map or photo copy the one in the office. the 1st week is the hardest it gets easier good luck

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

I found it funny all day that a few drivers are throwing around "padding stops" and "falsifying records" about delivering ground with air. You do realize that the diad has both an air stop and a ground stop for the same address. Your stop count REFLECTS 2 stops for the same address. There is no falsifying or denying that fact.

If I leave the building with 150 stops, management expects me to deliver 150 stops. Eventhough I have a repeat address on my car, one is reflected as an AIR stop, the other as a GROUND stop. The center does not force you to deliver both at the same time. If you have time to do it, then its reflected as 2 stops.

SPOHR also is involved here because if someone chooses to deliver 2 stops as 1, then his SPOHR is effected. Doing this multiple times in a day will lead to a negative reflection on that number. Your on-car sup and center manager's morning is based on the center team's SPOHR. By taking 2 stops on your car, and making it 1, you are taking away real stops away from the center that is dropping its SPOHR.

If you have 150 stops everyday and you always end up with 145 because of this, they will have to increase your stop count to get your routes target SPOHR in range. THAT IS WHY YOU TAKE CREDIT FOR THE STOPS IN YOUR DIAD.

Good to hear you won't be lonely in the unemployement line!!!

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.

I am not in the least surprised that there is a difference as applied by your mgmt team because it seems to be the rule rather than the exception, that area by area there are practices and procedures that differ in some pretty big ways. We were recently threatened that doing it that way was inappropriate in our center. One reason may be in fact that we have a commit time of 12 Noon for our earliest nda. The rule here is that if you deliver you air and ground within say 15-20 minutes of one another, you are required to hit "duplicate" stop to discourage what they see as stop padding. I can see thought that if we had a 1030 commit and early AM that would likely change to the way it is where you are. Only makes sense. Also our edd only reflects one stop for each address, ground and nda combined. No seperation.

NHDRVR

I am now a cover driver after been in the warehouse for a few years, I have been on the the road with my on road supervisor to learn the route before they let me go, I am having lots of trouble finding anything, is there any advice people can give me ? I understand it just takes time, but its alot harder than I thought. the workload is fine, I can work hard I am just afraid when I am off alone I will get lost and not be able to find my next stop

thanks

any advice and betters ways to learn a new route ?

I can't remember who mentioned it, Klein maybe, but when you start to get a bit frayed, and you will, taking 5 minutes away from the truck (just walk away) is worth more than standing in it and staring at the cardboard. We've all been there...

grgrcr88

I do not really care where you are located, the fact is that when you stop somewhere and make a delivery, it is 1 stop. Wether you have one gtound package or 200 packages of every service level, even EAM. If you onlt stop once it is only one stop. If you come back later it is another stop. Every stop = one stop. If you are doing it differently then you know it is wrong, and eventually will bite you in the ass.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have a photo charades dedicated to Heffernan:

images
images
S

Can anyone solve this?:wink2:

babboo25

Banned
I have rarely seen air and ground listed seperately in the diad. It always has 500 main st. 1+14 or whatever. If I was to sheet that as 2 stops it would be seen as an integrity issue. Why rush like an idiot, deliver your air first and then go back later, unless its a everyday pickup. Its the same as delivering to an apartment complex that allows you to leave all pkgs in the office without attempting delivery to the apartment, it would be one stop. Keep doing that and you will get fired.

browniehound

I think the best advice I've read here was to drive the route on your days off. The more the better I believe. Grab an extra-large coffee and drive the entire route a few times. Pay close attention to the smaller streets and the areas with the most quirks in them.

For example, on the mapbook it may show Maple st. as continous, but in reality its broken and separated by railroad tracks. Number 1- 30 can be where the map shows, but 30-70 can only be accessed by driving 2 miles around the barrier. So not knowing the area you might try delivering #53 from the wrong section of the route and then you're screwed.

This was one of the biggest headaches I had as a cover driver. This also begs a question, why does the post office have to confuse us with broken streets, lol? Why can't they just name one broken half something different?

hungrydude505

What about a bulk route, though? Where each stop can have up to 20 packages each, and you have about 25 stops in the truck, and then add 75 home stops on top of that. My route is like that, and I just can't pull up to a dock and quickly unload according to how it was loaded. It has to be dollied back and forth to the stores. So say if I have an air for "store x" but they also have 13 grounds, but they are in the middle of the load that I can't get too without unloading other stores first and I deliver that air first and then later on deliver the ground after uncovering them in the load, am I padding stops? I have more than one air too for the whole complex, I really don't have the time to play "preloader" and unload over 300 packages to resort it just so I can deliver air and ground together. I mean yea, it's in EDD as 1+13, but I'm still going back twice. It's just something I can't help with the route.

hungrydude505

And to the OP, I too am a cover driver (reg temp). I got thrown into it at the peak season. Before actually doing a route during that peak season, I was an air shuttle driver and saturday air driver. Shuttle will help you with the driving TREMENDOUSLY. I mean, if you're like our center, it's only really highway driving, but it'll give you time to practice your habits without the added frustration of EDD work behind that bulkhead door behind you. Saturdays will ease you into it, again, if you're like my center, you won't have a lot. I'm a small center, so you larger center guys will oppose to that, haha. It'll help you learn an area and get you into your delivery habits also. If you don't work Saturdays and want practice and want to start learning the areas while getting paid, ask to work Saturdays. Unless you don't want too of course. But most often than not, if you are low man, that's just too bad anyways, hahahahaha. Advice for an actual route? Don't start going insane at the work in front of you. Don't let it get to you. If you let it get to you, you'll start worrying and it'll just go downhill. My peak route wasn't bad, it was an extra route and I delivered areas I grew up in. But some areas I didn't. I started to freak out, and it got the best of me at times. I would just stare at the load and wonder "how am I ever going to get this off", "I'm never going to get done", things like that. The route I have now is a bit different. I'm pretty good at it now, but at first, holy crap. I freaked out everyday. But around the 2nd week of being on my own on an actual route, I just started thinking they're just packages. It will get done when it gets done. If I don't know an area of homes after my bulk stops (around 20 or so of at least 20 packages each), then I consult the maps. Worry about the air and any commits you have. It's hard work, it's not easy, but there's no reason to freak out and cloud your mind to make it HARDER. Also, don't let your load cloud your mind away from safe driving. One at fault accident without having your days in and you're worrying about paying bills rather than how you're going to get your packages off. That's probably the best advice I can give you right there.

grgrcr88

What about a bulk route, though? Where each stop can have up to 20 packages each, and you have about 25 stops in the truck, and then add 75 home stops on top of that. My route is like that, and I just can't pull up to a dock and quickly unload according to how it was loaded. It has to be dollied back and forth to the stores. So say if I have an air for "store x" but they also have 13 grounds, but they are in the middle of the load that I can't get too without unloading other stores first and I deliver that air first and then later on deliver the ground after uncovering them in the load, am I padding stops? I have more than one air too for the whole complex, I really don't have the time to play "preloader" and unload over 300 packages to resort it just so I can deliver air and ground together. I mean yea, it's in EDD as 1+13, but I'm still going back twice. It's just something I can't help with the route.

No that would not be padding stops. If you make more than on stop its more than one stop.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
No that would not be padding stops. If you make more than on stop its more than one stop.

Yes, if the stops are reasonably seperated by say a half an hour or more. Do you still count 2 alike stops at say 5 minutes apart? Here they want them "dup" if they are that close.

rocket man

1 stop at a time dont worry about shelf #8 you will get to it, concentrate on the stop at hand, buy a map or photo copy the one in the office. the 1st week is the hardest it gets easier good luck
CAUTION DONT use copy machine at work get permission They could and would fire you stealling company property.This is no joke.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I do not really care where you are located, the fact is that when you stop somewhere and make a delivery, it is 1 stop. Wether you have one gtound package or 200 packages of every service level, even EAM. If you onlt stop once it is only one stop. If you come back later it is another stop. Every stop = one stop. If you are doing it differently then you know it is wrong, and eventually will bite you in the ass.

How bout this !!!!

I will walk in and deliver air, then I will walk to my car, start it, then stop and deliver my ground stop 1 minute later. Thanks for the heads up, I'm glad I got your input.

or how 'bout this

I will not make the extra effort to my customer and keep his box at arm's reach in the AM and deliver his SECOND stop at a more appropriate time in the PM so I'm credited for the time I was already accredited for to start my day when I walked in the building. It is not a padded stop. It was 2 to begin with !!

I have a photo charades dedicated to Heffernan:

images
images
S

Can anyone solve this?:wink2:

It took you a day and a half to grow the stones to reply !!!

And I wondered why everyone thought you were a :censored2:!!

Pad your AM time so you can sort your car Monday morning !!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I have rarely seen air and ground listed seperately in the diad. It always has 500 main st. 1+14 or whatever. If I was to sheet that as 2 stops it would be seen as an integrity issue. Why rush like an idiot, deliver your air first and then go back later, unless its a everyday pickup. Its the same as delivering to an apartment complex that allows you to leave all pkgs in the office without attempting delivery to the apartment, it would be one stop. Keep doing that and you will get fired.

I was never talking about 1 + 14 stops

I have delivered those types and you have no option to deliver them anymore than 1 stop. It is slated as 1 stop on your EDD and I have delivered them as such.

This was a discussion about an air stop and a separate ground stop delivered at the same time. I take credit for all my stops and have never been even questioned on OJS's so all you idiots can do what you want.