New coverage driver in about 4-6weeks

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by TheKingOfQueens, Jun 24, 2014.

1. I'll be a full time coverage driver in about 4-6 weeks . I know the best way to deliver the packages is by using a map but I'm not good at reading the map and I'm basically depending on my garmin to help me out . Would I be able to come in extra extra early to input the stops in my garmin because I know that'll take up a lot of time if I wait until I start my shift . Any pointers on learning how to read the map ? Help !!!!!

Sent using BrownCafe App
    Lasted edited by : Jun 24, 2014
  2. sortaisle

sortaisle Livin the cardboard dream'll make much more sense when you look at your EDD or ORION list and then a map book. You'll see all the streets clumped together on the map book page and it'll start the gears turning. Practice makes perfect. There isn't a driver in our center that has made book using GPS exclusively. The map book is far superior for resis.
  3. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

How in the name of everything holy did we learn routes(especially rural routes) in those dark days before GPS?
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. Must have been those "fancy pagers" we had!
  5. sortaisle

sortaisle Livin the cardboard dream

It took a special type of wizard who are born few and far between to make the magic of mapping happen. You my friend...are a rare wizard.
  6. Fedex Guy

Fedex Guy Active Member

Jesus dude, don't make the job harder than it already is. Only thing you can do is work safe and just learn the routes. Usually the stops are close to each other. Punching every stop in a garmin is prob not the best idea.

Just to be clear, I don't work for FedEx. Crazy I know.
  7. Dr.Brownz

Dr.Brownz Well-Known Member

come in a little early (15-20 minutes), ask what route your on and look at the map. Memorize it the best you can and then go do it. Its there fault for not sending a trainer out with you if it takes 12 hours.
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • List
  8. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

Two words-"card files."
  9. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

How did anyone learn how to fold those paper maps?
  10. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Nobody sees the wizard no way no how.
  11. Brownslave688

Roll the maps don't fold the maps. Come on pops
  12. Brownslave688

Ok here's what you do. Get a map and laminate it. Get some dry erase markers. Make a dot on the map where each stop is. Hope that your county is on a grid system this will make it all a lot easier.

If you can't figured out N,S,E,W or how to use a grid on a map look for employment somewhere else.
  13. Brownslave688

Fixed it for you.
  14. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

I personally think the best way is by using a truck...but whatever works for you.
  15. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

The map is not the territory.
  16. Tough Guy

Tough Guy Active Member

There's going to be other hurdles beside the mapping. Such as realizing what buildings are which address. The gps isn't always right either. Just today actually, I had an early am for some town I never go to, so I relied on the GPS, and where another driver "thought" it was. Well I ended up driving past it without realizing, as it was a business with no sign or visible name out front. The gps didn't realize that was the address, as it apparently had my "destination" as some vacant lot. but I realized something was wrong when I started passing numbers higher than the address i was looking for. So I had to find a place to turn around, do the walk of Shame and go in and ask if they were the business I was looking for.

The moral of the story is that the GPS may help you get in a general vacinity of a stop but it's not always right and you can't bank on it 100% of the time.
  17. That was always a treat!
  18. scratch

scratch Least Best Moderator Staff Member

I trained two new drivers the last couple of weeks since I was put on light duty. I had hernia surgery this morning. One driver was my Preloader who was fresh out of driving school and I trained him for my route. The other driver is a 23 year old Preloader that has only worked for nine months. For both of them, I took a map book and made copies of the pages the routes were on. I taped the pages together and used a yellow highlighter on the street names so they could find them. Instead of flipping back and forth looking in the book, it is much easier to read a good map. This is how I taught myself whenever I bid on a new route.
  19. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

Ditch the GPS dude. By yourself a map book and learn how to use it. It's really not that hard.
  20. joeboodog

joeboodog good people drink good beer

If someone swipes your GPS you are SOL. Nobody swipes map books.