New Directive on Cutting Hours

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
"Volumes are down", so it's time for the "team" to make more sacrifices so we can achieve "our" productivity goals. I just heard about this, so expect your managers to tell you in the near future that your hours will be cut. Of course, neither your route or number of packages will be reduced. In other words, work harder for less, so management can make their bonuses.

Same old crap. And what choice do we have but to accept it?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Why don't the company just get rid of couriers altogether?

Seems like that's their ultimate goal.

All kidding aside, FedEx in the future is gonna have a tough time with these precious productivity goals once some of us oldsters retire. The pay for newbies will not be anywhere near competitive and new hires once they catch on to the BS will be gone faster than rain drops in the Sahara Desert.

Last edited:

snackdad

One of the solutions management uses to cut hours is to roll back the start time almost everyday. Any excuse is good enough for the customer to explain why their packages were not there on time because tornados, floods, etc, etc.
We will get a call to start late and arrive to find out that the freight has been in the building all morning and all flights on time. Now the whole day is screwed up because we leave the building in a panic with managers screaming at us when all of the chaos could have been avoided by using an orderly, safe approach to starting a long day. Our level of safety and state of mind and customer satisfaction are dismally on the bottom of the list of FedEx priorities. I agree about the future of the courier position, it will be dumbed down, cheapened, accident and injury prone and completely disposable. I can only imagine what benefit will be cut next out of the few that remain.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
River District were told you get only 5 minute to clock out instead of 7 minutes anybody else?

Not yet, but I'm sure it's on the way. This company is so completely effed-up. Several employees I know who are over 55 have already indicated to management that they are retiring, and almost everyone I work with is actively seeking other employment.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
River District were told you get only 5 minute to clock out instead of 7 minutes anybody else?
Meh,
I keep saying that whatever the latest craze is, it only lasts about 2 weeks.
Two weeks from now they'll be harping about something else, oh I dunno, leave bldg. time, stop cnts., whatever.
The latest thing we get is every day we get a personal message from the Sr. telling us what time we need to be back in the bldg. according to the gap report or, whatever. Meh.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Not yet, but I'm sure it's on the way. This company is so completely effed-up. Several employees I know who are over 55 have already indicated to management that they are retiring, and almost everyone I work with is actively seeking other employment.

That sure speaks volumes about how "great" this "people company" is run.

FedEx2000

Believe what you want, but I can tell you this for a fact: Express daily volume (Finance Inbound+Outbound, doesn't count supplies etc.) for May 2011 is down 120,000 pkgs/day compared to May 2010. So if you were running the business would you want to continue to spend the same amount of hours/money to get 120,000 less pkgs delivered each day? I doubt it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Believe what you want, but I can tell you this for a fact: Express daily volume (Finance Inbound+Outbound, doesn't count supplies etc.) for May 2011 is down 120,000 pkgs/day compared to May 2010. So if you were running the business would you want to continue to spend the same amount of hours/money to get 120,000 less pkgs delivered each day? I doubt it.

So, you should take it out of the hourly workers check, right? In case you haven't noticed, they're always expecting more for less compensation. Maybe Uncle Fred needs to cutback on the payouts he makes to lobbyists. Our station volume is up (considerably), so instead of making another stupid blanket policy, why not limit to the stations that actually have less freight than last year?

FedEx2000

So, you should take it out of the hourly workers check, right? In case you haven't noticed, they're always expecting more for less compensation. Maybe Uncle Fred needs to cutback on the payouts he makes to lobbyists. Our station volume is up (considerably), so instead of making another stupid blanket policy, why not limit to the stations that actually have less freight than last year?

Of course it will come out of the hourlies checks, less pkgs = less work to do. It's up to your mgrs to do it properly, if your station is up, then it will show in your volume/PFTE and shouldn't be a big deal. Not my fault they don't know how to properly run their operation.

Also, is your volume up due to one large customer or just all around? How much is it up year over year? It's the end of the fiscal year, time to cut back on everything for a couple weeks, nothing new here......you've been around long enough to know this and shouldn't be surprised by it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Of course it will come out of the hourlies checks, less pkgs = less work to do. It's up to your mgrs to do it properly, if your station is up, then it will show in your volume/PFTE and shouldn't be a big deal. Not my fault they don't know how to properly run their operation.

Also, is your volume up due to one large customer or just all around? How much is it up year over year? It's the end of the fiscal year, time to cut back on everything for a couple weeks, nothing new here......you've been around long enough to know this and shouldn't be surprised by it.

Yep, it's always the same old story. But why the blanket "one size fits all" approach? That's been a big problem over the years, and it's nonsense because not all stations have reduced volumes right now. Some are up, so it is garbage to try and cut out more time from a station that's getting hammered right now with an uptick in volume.

vantexan

Yep, it's always the same old story. But why the blanket "one size fits all" approach? That's been a big problem over the years, and it's nonsense because not all stations have reduced volumes right now. Some are up, so it is garbage to try and cut out more time from a station that's getting hammered right now with an uptick in volume.

How many Express couriers are there? 60,000? More? At 60,000 that's 2 pkgs less a day per courier. Not the end of the world. And how much volume is Ground down? Or is it up? Could it be that FedEx is cannibalizing Express a bit with Ground? It seems with the closing of stations and even district offices FedEx anticipated the volume drop. And now is expecting the workforce to help pay for it. Just like Zap Mail. Just like healthcare. And most recently with accidents. And every downturn that comes along. And let's not forget our sacrifices for pay and pension.

FedEx2000

Like I said, if that is truly the case at your station, the mgrs should be able to explain it and it shouldn't be a big deal.

FedEx2000

How many Express couriers are there? 60,000? More? At 60,000 that's 2 pkgs less a day per courier. Not the end of the world. And how much volume is Ground down? Or is it up? Could it be that FedEx is cannibalizing Express a bit with Ground? It seems with the closing of stations and even district offices FedEx anticipated the volume drop. And now is expecting the workforce to help pay for it. Just like Zap Mail. Just like healthcare. And most recently with accidents. And every downturn that comes along. And let's not forget our sacrifices for pay and pension.

See, you're looking at it from your level..only 2 pkgs. You need to look at the big picture, 120,000/day is nothing to sneeze at. 21 operating days in May.....that's 2,520,000 less pkgs than last May.....so yeah, we need to cut some hours. All the other costs are pretty much fixed and already in the budget......it's the OT and extra hours onroad that aren't.

starglacier

See, you're looking at it from your level..only 2 pkgs. You need to look at the big picture, 120,000/day is nothing to sneeze at. 21 operating days in May.....that's 2,520,000 less pkgs than last May.....so yeah, we need to cut some hours. All the other costs are pretty much fixed and already in the budget......it's the OT and extra hours onroad that aren't.
True statement if fedex was not behind express demise. We are short 14 couriers and Mgmt has not hire courier since 2009.