New DOT physical rules

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I never hear my drivers talking about DOT cards here or their subsequent expiration and renewal.

Anyone driving a CMV (Commercial Motor Vehicle) is required to have a valid MEC (Medical Examiners Certificate - DOT Card)

Commercial motor vehicle means any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle—

(1) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater.

Package cars up to a 700, I believe, are under 10,001 pounds, but UPS requires all drivers to have a DOT card. If you didn't have a DOT card, you would be unable to drive a 1000 or 1200.

You may be required to drive something heavier than a 700, hence the need for a DOT card. UPS is not going to limit a package car driver to a 700 or lighter.

DOT cards for everyone. If you can't pass a DOT physical, you don't drive.

iamupser

Grease Monkey
I avoid that area when there are a bunch drivers congregating because 1 driver will tell you something they need done then 10 others pile on with more stuff to do in my same alloted time frame!

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Package cars up to a 700, I believe, are under 10,001 pounds, but UPS requires all drivers to have a DOT card. If you didn't have a DOT card, you would be unable to drive a 1000 or 1200.

You may be required to drive something heavier than a 700, hence the need for a DOT card. UPS is not going to limit a package car driver to a 700 or lighter.

Yep.

Reason being, the company can assign any (pkg car) to any route.... at any time.

-Bug-

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Yes... My cousin drives an ambulance and works 24 hour shifts... That's crazy

The FMCSA has many stupid rules, or many rules they don't have that they should. The typical government body. They are the elite and do what they want. Some of the rules they have are beneficial, some are just plain stupid.

They used to require 2 consecutive periods off between 1 AM and 5 AM in order to reset your hours of service. Stupid rule. This rule has since been suspended.

Any driver holding a CDL is subject to 0.04% BAC for an OVI or DWI, regardless of whether he is on the clock or not, in his personal vehicle or not. Everyone else in the country is subject to 0.08%, cops, nurses, judges, Congressman, etc.

I agree that while on the clock, you should have no alcohol in your system, but if I'm off the clock, in my personal vehicle on the weekend, I'm still subject to 0.04% while everyone else is subject to 0.08% Stupid rule.

I am also subject to reckless op, in my personal vehicle, if going over 15 MPH above the posted speed limit, as if I was on the clock driving a vehicle over 26,500 pounds. Stupid rule.

I am basically subject to the same rules driving my personal vehicle off the clock that I am subject to driving a truck on the clock.

oldngray

nowhere special
:nervoussmiley:I occasionally do warp speed when conditions are acceptable.
picdump_933_640_40.jpg

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Any driver holding a CDL is subject to 0.04% BAC for an OVI or DWI, regardless of whether he is on the clock or not, in his personal vehicle or not. Everyone else in the country is subject to 0.08%, cops, nurses, judges, Congressman, etc.

I agree that while on the clock, you should have no alcohol in your system, but if I'm off the clock, in my personal vehicle on the weekend, I'm still subject to 0.04% while everyone else is subject to 0.08% Stupid rule.

I am also subject to reckless op, in my personal vehicle, if going over 15 MPH above the posted speed limit, as if I was on the clock driving a vehicle over 26,500 pounds. Stupid rule.

I am basically subject to the same rules driving my personal vehicle off the clock that I am subject to driving a truck on the clock.

You are in support of "higher concentration levels" of drugs and alcohol....

with in someone that operates a commercial vehicle, in the general public ?

-Bug-

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank

-Bug-
Gonna play devil's advocate here, I'm not seeing where he is supporting higher levels. There is a big difference between .04 and .08. One could get a DUI .04 from just a mere shot and a half, whereas the same person would not be legally impaired if not holding the CDL until hitting .08.

(As an FYI, it has been discussed many times over the years by NHTSA and other groups to change the national level to .04 or .05) Just because someone holds a CDL should not make them be held more liable than a police officer, doctor, store clerk while said person is off duty and not within his scheduled work time. If he is working then the limit should be .000 but that is another discussion altogether.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Gonna play devil's advocate here, I'm not seeing where he is supporting higher levels. There is a big difference between .04 and .08. One could get a DUI .04 from just a mere shot and a half, whereas the same person would not be legally impaired if not holding the CDL until hitting .08.

(As an FYI, it has been discussed many times over the years by NHTSA and other groups to change the national level to .04 or .05) Just because someone holds a CDL should not make them be held more liable than a police officer, doctor, store clerk while said person is off duty and not within his scheduled work time. If he is working then the limit should be .000 but that is another discussion altogether.

Point taken.

I have a strong aversion to the subject. (posted it before)

Reason being.... my experience with Article 35 cases.

People that need help get it.

Others, just go away.

-Bug-

trickpony1

Related to CDL topic......
It's my understanding that if a CDL holder gets a ticket it stays on his record forever meaning it doesn't drop off like regular non CDL licenses do.

I guess the DOT wants to see if there is a pattern of bad driving? Anyone else heard this?

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Related to CDL topic......
It's my understanding that if a CDL holder gets a ticket it stays on his record forever meaning it doesn't drop off like regular non CDL licenses do.

I guess the DOT wants to see if there is a pattern of bad driving? Anyone else heard this?
Unless this is something new (within last two years), this is not true. Most violations will come off your record, state dependent, anywhere from 2-10 years. That's not to say that a person's driving record will not be accessible after that time frame to a law enforcement agency to see what violations were committed but under normal conditions, ie; employment check, insurance check, etc; those violations are not visible or included.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

You are correct. I am not supporting higher levels overall, I am supporting a person holding a CDL be subject to the same standards as everyone else, off the clock that is.

Off the clock on a Saturday night, driving my pick up, I am subject to 0.04% for a DUI while everyone else is subject to 0.08%.

I am advocating that as long as I am not on the clock, not driving a commercial vehicle, that I should be held to the same standards as everyone else.

On the clock, driving a commercial vehicle, I should be held to 0.00%

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

-Bug-

When he is not driving that commercial vehicle, I expect him to be held to the same standards as everyone else in the country.

When he is driving that commercial vehicle, I advocate lower levels...0.0%

And I am not talking about drugs, just alcohol. I know, it is a drug, but it is metabolized by the body very quickly.

I also found his comments to be disconcerting.

Here is what I find disconcerting.

You and I are both off the clock driving our personal vehicles. You are subject to .08 and I am subject to .04 just because I hold a CDL.

I should be subject to the same standards as you, or a cop, attorney, firefighter, construction worker, CEO, nurse, cook, etc., everyone else in the country, as long as I am not driving a commercial vehicle.

As stated above, I believe the .04 is too high when driving a commercial vehicle. It should be 0.0

Now, the .08 can be argued as being too high. Lower it to .06 as far as I'm concerned, but just hold me to the same .06 when I am not driving my commercial vehicle. Hold me to the same standards as they hold you.

Or do you think that I should be held to a stricter standand, when off the clock, just because I drive a semi?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
When he is not driving that commercial vehicle, I expect him to be held to the same standards as everyone else in the country.

When he is driving that commercial vehicle, I advocate lower levels...0.0%

And I am not talking about drugs, just alcohol. I know, it is a drug, but it is metabolized by the body very quickly.

Here is what I find disconcerting.

You and I are both off the clock driving our personal vehicles. You are subject to .08 and I am subject to .04 just because I hold a CDL.

I should be subject to the same standards as you, or a cop, attorney, firefighter, construction worker, CEO, nurse, cook, etc., everyone else in the country, as long as I am not driving a commercial vehicle.

As stated above, I believe the .04 is too high when driving a commercial vehicle. It should be 0.0

Now, the .08 can be argued as being too high. Lower it to .06 as far as I'm concerned, but just hold me to the same .06 when I am not driving my commercial vehicle. Hold me to the same standards as they hold you.

Or do you think that I should be held to a stricter standand, when off the clock, just because I drive a semi?

I hear what you are saying. It's an unfair double standard, if you hold a CDL.

I've seen some cases you wouldn't believe.

1) Pkg car guy blew a .23 @ 9:30am. Not .023 but .23 (it was his mouthwash)

2) Feeder driver shows up at the State Panel drunk (on an unrelated discharge) and gets belligerent

when he is advised to leave, so the Union can postpone the case for a day.

3) Hub worker gets subjected to a reasonable cause test for alcohol.... tests 0.00

but pegs the meter for cocaine. The list goes on.

I was surprised to see how many volunteered for treatment, and how many had gotten a DUI.

So.... there's that.

-Bug-

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I hear what you are saying. It's an unfair double standard, if you hold a CDL.

I've seen some cases you wouldn't believe.

1) Pkg car guy blew a .23 @ 9:30am. Not .023 but .23 (it was his mouthwash)

2) Feeder driver shows up at the State Panel drunk (on an unrelated discharge) and gets belligerent

when he is advised to leave, so the Union can postpone the case for a day.

3) Hub worker gets subjected to a reasonable cause test for alcohol.... tests 0.00

but pegs the meter for cocaine. The list goes on.

I was surprised to see how many volunteered for treatment, and how many had gotten a DUI.

So.... there's that.

-Bug-

I've seen my share also.

The whole point to the post was to point out some of the inane FMCSA regulations.

The CDL double standard.
The 1 am to 5 am HOS restart. Since repealed.
The BMI and neck size sleep apnea rules. Since repealed.

At least a couple of the inane rules got repealed, but the CDL double standard is still there.

Foamer Pyle

Last time I saw this many fat dudes this nervous was when there was talk of Golden Corral going under
Golden Corral is one of the most dirt bag places to eat. They have a couple around here. I tried it one time, and have never been back. They are the equivalent of the WalMart in the restaurant industry. I am surprised they do not have a web page "people of Golden Corral."