New driver failure rate

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I was afraid it would happen when I moved from hourly to management, but it's been good. If it happens when I go FT I'm gone. I'm not changing myself to please somebody. My sort was filled with bitter people because the sup before was an idiot. Now it's a group of people who I barely have to supervise. They have my back and I have theirs. I don't know why someone would want anything else.
I saw a guy who started out in the building as an hourly and go into management with a professional attitude work his way up to center manager in less than 20 years.

I would do almost anything for him.

trickpony1

If it happens when I go FT I'm gone. I'm not changing myself to please somebody.

When your boss, and his boss, corner you and ask you if you like the nice car, the nice house and sending your kid(s) to a prestigious university, you will become one of the "us versus them" management.

Sorry.

SCV good to go sir.

...A lot of it though was just his desire to do it though...

I think that's the most important thing for anything in life.

The first time I failed cover, I just wasn't ready. They threw me at it without doing any Saturdays first just to see if I could pick it up. Having said that, it was quite the learning experience. The supervisor that trained me was easily the best driver in the hub and he set the standard for how to do the job. When my second chance came around, I had a peak and months of air driving under my belt. Yeah it sucked giving up my weekend to learn the route, but it comes down to how bad one wants it. These guys that keep failing, they're not willing to put in the extra work. If one can't sacrifice two days for the job, I can't see how one is going to handle working 11 hour days 5 days a week and all the other sacrifices. I also agree that a lot of the newer drivers have a bad attitude. It's going to suck once all you older drivers retire, I don't think I'll get along with the vast majority of the drivers after that. If the union isn't dead by then, I'm sure that will be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Sorry for the rant, needed to vent.

By The Book

Speaking of tricks, when I was a helper last year, my driver would leave his seatbelt partially over the steering wheel whenever he went to the back of the package car or got out on my side. Anybody else do that?

I applied for this job with the intention of paying my way through school, but I did put my name down for a driving position. I'll jump on whichever opportunity presents itself first. But supposing I did get a call, every little tip helps. :)
I do that at every stop. I only exit the package car on the passenger side, unless I've blocked that exit with packages.

S

selfcancelsignal

Speaking of tricks, when I was a helper last year, my driver would leave his seatbelt partially over the steering wheel whenever he went to the back of the package car or got out on my side. Anybody else do that?

I applied for this job with the intention of paying my way through school, but I did put my name down for a driving position. I'll jump on whichever opportunity presents itself first. But supposing I did get a call, every little tip helps. :)
No, because there are a couple of drivers in our bldg. that do this, & when I've covered their routes, the seatbelt is frayed. Ain't no UPS mechanic got time to fix that, & it's super annoying. Even harder to put the seatbelt on quickly than it already is.

Browntown2014

This is a great thread, one of the most relevant I've seen in a wile. The quality in new hires for the most part just isn't there. I agree with what has been said before in regards to the benefit of driving utility and Saturday Air. With that said from what I've seen the problem is societal. Young people are lazy and just seem like they don't want to work. Try to hold them accountable for their actions and just wait to the barrage of excuses that will come your way. Had a guy who's maybe got 4 months complaining about how high his stop count is. I'm sorry you've been here 4 months how the heck do you know if your stop count is too high. Oh let's not forget the less than 2 year crowd complaining about seniority and how they're gonna bump someone. You see it's a problem that seems even bigger than what UPS can handle.

Dude the biggest whiners in my center are the 20+ year vets.

Griff

Not to pay myself on the back but my center manager likes to send new drivers with me to give them a taste of what will be expected of them. Most if not all had no idea that this was the pace they would be expected to keep throughout the day.

ROFL. Jesus, it's a shame you didn't have any actual men in your center to groom you into a real UPS driver. You realize these management types all laugh behind closed doors at you, right?

Griff

That's because they were around when this company was different. You just don't know any better and you will be the one whining about "back in my day" in 20 years time. I'll bet a years salary on that and sleep soundly tonight.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!

Well there're certainly veteran cry babies, but that's apples and oranges. A newbie crying is a bit different from a 20 yr veteran saying he's too heavy. You see the difference is we've already walked the path you're on. When we did it we excepted it for what it was with the knowledge that we all pay our dues. Well now you guys want to change the rules, I suppose you're entitled to your perspective but from where we're standing we've got no patience for your whining.

Trackless in brown

Nevermind the new drivers crashing and burning..how about the fact that in my center we have had 3 pt employees in the past 4 months go full time then quit before 30 days and go back to pt..we also have had 3 bid sheets for routes go unwanted bt any ft driver......

Browntown2014

Well there're certainly veteran cry babies, but that's apples and oranges. A newbie crying is a bit different from a 20 yr veteran saying he's too heavy. You see the difference is we've already walked the path you're on. When we did it we excepted it for what it was with the knowledge that we all pay our dues. Well now you guys want to change the rules, I suppose you're entitled to your perspective but from where we're standing we've got no patience for your whining.

Lol I am sure you didn't whine when you started.

Browntown2014

That's because they were around when this company was different. You just don't know any better and you will be the one whining about "back in my day" in 20 years time. I'll bet a years salary on that and sleep soundly tonight.

I had a vet whine to me how ups was the worst place to work in the world. I just stayed silent but thought in my head this guy must not have worked anywhere else ever.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I know drivers that have been with UPS for years and every time you go meet them to take there air or help them it looks like a bomb went off in the back of there package car.
Those are the ones who still haven't figured out how to do the job, poor work ethic, stupid and are just slobs. We have a bunch too, kinda sad really lol.

1000RR

I've been part time with the company for 8 years and have been debating on driving for awhile. I went to school 2 months ago and disqualified myself. It is not for everyone and drivers are hands down the hardest working people at ups. It is a very tough job. I've done driver helper several times and even went out with a driver all day for one day during the week long school.

The Milkman

Everyone thinks it is an easy job. I heard someone say to me one time" Oh you just drive around and drop off pkgs at houses, what a cake job" Little do they know. It takes a special breed of person to handle the job with all stress that comes along with it. You are right, We have walked that path before, without the computers, power steering and upgrades to the newer trucks. Drive some old beat up P-600 with a wooden a bulkhead door, a high step, crappy lighting in the back trying to read the old shipper's numbers in dimly lit light. Bad seat, heaters, narrow doors with the Gateway computers that came out back then. I was too busy to whine back then, I just toughed it out. The newbies never had it so good, oops forgot to mention automatics..what's next?