New Driver, Forced Sat. Airs?

Worked in building for awhile, signed up for driving, going to qualify soon after new year...
I then will be forced todo Saturday Airs, they would do it now but they want to wait until im qualified..
Are Sat. Airs forced for new Drivers?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In my center the 22.3 who used to do Saturday air is no longer with the company so we use casuals on a rotating basis. I don't know whether you can be "forced" to do Saturday air but I do know that it is a great way to both learn the area and get more comfortable with the DIAD.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Check your supplement. In my area if they need fulltimers on Saturday they post a sign up sheet. Theoretically if they were really short they could force from the bottom up, but it never comes close to that because it's such easy money they have to turn people away.

well said Upstate, i didnt really think of that part about gaining knowledge of more area...
I would do it if i were forced and have no problems, but if i have the option or ability to say no i would do that.

menotyou

bella amicizia
well said Upstate, i didnt really think of that part about gaining knowledge of more area...
I would do it if i were forced and have no problems, but if i have the option or ability to say no i would do that.
As Upstate said, the area knowledge and Diad training is invaluable. Not to mention, the easy money. You get to learn how the airport works, if you get to go there. I loved Sat. Air. Easiest job at UPS.

UPSGUY72

Worked in building for awhile, signed up for driving, going to qualify soon after new year...
I then will be forced todo Saturday Airs, they would do it now but they want to wait until im qualified..
Are Sat. Airs forced for new Drivers?

??

What you say doesn't add up. After the the new year volume drops like a rock they aren't going to need any FT Drivers for a while unless a lot of people are planning on retiring on Dec 31. Even at that they are going to be cutting routes.

Also you said you signed a list to drive was that a FT list or Sat Air only list. They put list up for PT that would like to drive Sat Air are your sure you didn't sign that list??

What also doesn't make sense is that if they need a M-friend driver to work Sat they need to put a list up during the week for for each Sat they need extra people to drive. As Sat would be a time and a half day for regular drivers and drivers with seniority usually take the easy money.

You need to pass a driving test then they need to send you to school before you can start driving.

Extra work is given out by seniority first. If they don't have enough people sign the list they force up from the bottom.

ChadBrunn

You do not have to go to driving school first to drive air. That has came up a few times at my Center and HR was called.

rocket man

your a saturday air driver thats about the best way to start. if you dont want to do saturdays you should( resign) from driving there are 1000,s( who would DO IT IF GIVING THE CHANCE . you sound ungreatfull and like some one who is gonna complain The first day you would work past 6 pm , during the week. (step aside} sat driving is cake. Driving for this company is not easy there are so many things in life you are gonna be late to. somethings your are gonna miss, THEN IN TIME YOU WILL GET THOSE DAYS OFF , THIS I BELILIVE THE (S) IN UPS STANDS FOR SAcrafise. NO ONE IS FORCING YOU TO DO ANYTHING. GOOD LUCK IN YOUR CHOICE.

UPSGUY72

You do not have to go to driving school first to drive air. That has came up a few times at my Center and HR was called.

The OP thinks he going to be a FT driver that is forced to work Sat.

What the OP doesn't understand is that he sign a Sat Air only driving list. I was pointing out that in order to become a FT driving you need to go to school.

Either way he still has to pass a driving test before he gets a chance to be Saturday Air driver.

menotyou

bella amicizia
When I got sent to school FT driver went for 4 days and Casuals and Sat Air driver went for 2 days.
Our driving school is the same for both, at least if you are sent to school. It is a center by center decision(in our district) whether or not to train air drivers in-house. My center doesn't.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our driving school is the same for both, at least if you are sent to school. It is a center by center decision(in our district) whether or not to train air drivers in-house. My center doesn't.

Do drivers in your center stay in a hotel when they go to school or do they commute back and forth?

menotyou

bella amicizia
We choose as it is over 50 miles from the center to the school. If you commute, you get mileage from your center to the school. HR will make the hotel arrangements for you, if that is the option you choose. It's a nice hotel, too.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We choose as it is over 50 miles from the center to the school. If you commute, you get mileage from your center to the school. HR will make the hotel arrangements for you, if that is the option you choose. It's a nice hotel, too.

I asked because it may be cheaper for them to have you guys drive rather than stay over. It is 153 miles from our center to Albany so we stay over. This may be why they train air drivers in-house rather than send them to school.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I asked because it may be cheaper for them to have you guys drive rather than stay over. It is 153 miles from our center to Albany so we stay over. This may be why they train air drivers in-house rather than send them to school.
Besides, they aren't regular drivers. At my center, 'air driver' is a watered down casual. At any moment, they will throw you on a route. Might be why they send them and the proximity. I think UPS gets a deal on the hotel. So, I think it's a wash monetarily for our center.