New Driver here

UPSer171

Hey everyone, I have one question regarding routes. I start officially driving full time next Wednesday coming up, and what I would like to know is that do they give your route before you start, or did you just get a route right on the spot once you started? I already talked to HR about that, and they said they will call me before this weekend to see what I have. Really hoping they do so I can get an idea of where I'll be driving at...but if not I'll know the day I start. I was also told that once I start, the first 3 days a driver sup will be with me on my route and then I'll be on my own. Has anyone gotten their route a few days before or on when they started? Much help will be appreciated. Thanks!

raceanoncr

You go where every they stick you.
They will put you on a traing route for 30 days.
Then they will teach you some more routes

Yeah, this is funny.

Did training route, got kicked off to start new trainee on area, covered vacations, sick days, etc, finally bidding on area after a few years. In the mean time, they asked if I wanted to be "X-Man", local term for peon covering, um, WHAT I WAS ALREADY COVERING! I said no, I want my bid route. They pleaded. I then said, "OK, only if I get rider on every new run. Don't wanna run blind, anymore." They: "Why, soitanly, everytime" (I should known, then, by that tone, that it wasn't gonna go as planned)

The very next day, they said, "You're covering Xes area". Me: "Who's going with me". After much laughter they said, "We don't have anybody, you're going to figger it out yerself".

And so went my career as an "X-Man". Never did get rider. On ANY new area.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
I always loved it when they pointed in the direction of the office to the file cabinet where they stored all the maps for "some" of the routes. Back in the day we drivers had to learn the routes on our own and nobody ever dared to go with you (mgmt). I did learn 56 routes like this, all on my own. It took me over 4 years to get my own route. And you guys keep saying it's harder now...

By The Book

Hey everyone, I have one question regarding routes. I start officially driving full time next Wednesday coming up, and what I would like to know is that do they give your route before you start, or did you just get a route right on the spot once you started? I already talked to HR about that, and they said they will call me before this weekend to see what I have. Really hoping they do so I can get an idea of where I'll be driving at...but if not I'll know the day I start. I was also told that once I start, the first 3 days a driver sup will be with me on my route and then I'll be on my own. Has anyone gotten their route a few days before or on when they started? Much help will be appreciated. Thanks!
In our center there are only a few training routes and they usually will tell the part timer a short time before which one they will get. You could be an off the street hire I'm not sure so if you are ask your center team where you are scheduled.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yeah, this is funny.

Did training route, got kicked off to start new trainee on area, covered vacations, sick days, etc, finally bidding on area after a few years. In the mean time, they asked if I wanted to be "X-Man", local term for peon covering, um, WHAT I WAS ALREADY COVERING! I said no, I want my bid route. They pleaded. I then said, "OK, only if I get rider on every new run. Don't wanna run blind, anymore." They: "Why, soitanly, everytime" (I should known, then, by that tone, that it wasn't gonna go as planned)

The very next day, they said, "You're covering Xes area". Me: "Who's going with me". After much laughter they said, "We don't have anybody, you're going to figger it out yerself".

An x man means you choose what routes you cover.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
And try not to post your personal picture here--- depending on your views it could get you in the unemployment line. They are watching.

I always loved it when they pointed in the direction of the office to the file cabinet where they stored all the maps for "some" of the routes. Back in the day we drivers had to learn the routes on our own and nobody ever dared to go with you (mgmt). I did learn 56 routes like this, all on my own. It took me over 4 years to get my own route. And you guys keep saying it's harder now...
I only know,one route.
Dont plan on learning anymore!

Yeah, this is funny.

They never have enough people,but always manage to send 1 or 2 home!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
What? No that's toothpaste.....

What? No that's toothpaste.....
CAM00184.jpg
Toothpaste huh? Kinda ironic, wouldn't you say? Lmao

raceanoncr

X men bid by seniority order so sometimes it is not a great route but there's still some choice. It also means you give up your right to a 4th move giveaway.

At the time (well, had to be 35 years ago), only the runners, slugs, those that couldn't handle a regular bid route and ALL the newbies (ME) were the only ones to go X. It wasn't bid X job then but I think it is now. We did get that changed in feeders a few years ago also. When I came up, I ran vacations, options, etc. for years until I could get bid run. Now, we have bid feeder cover jobs. Well, THEY do. I'm OUTTA there.