New Driver in CA

Discussion in 'Introductions and Welcomes' started by BlueToBrown920, Nov 7, 2015.

1. BlueToBrown920

BlueToBrown920 New Member

Just finished NSPT at the Integrad facility in Menlo Park, CA. I had tons of fun and learned a lot in a week. Just here to say hello and thanks for all of the info I found during my hiring process and training.

Any advice in preparation for my first day as new service provider hired off the street? Things I should get for myself to have when I show up?

Thanks!

2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

NSPT----New Service Provider Training?

As a fellow off the street hire I should prepare you for the false sense of entitlement among those who worked their way up rather than being "given" a driving job.

Good luck.

3. Big Arrow Down...D

Big Arrow Down...D Leave the gun,take the cannoli

Advil...

4. BlueToBrown920

BlueToBrown920 New Member

Upstate: Thanks for the heads up. I am certainly very lucky to be where I am right now and realize I haven't earned anything amongst seasoned UPSers.

Big Arrow: I bought Tylenol while at Integrad, thanks.

5. Rainman

Rainman Its all good.

Decongestant this time of year is a good idea too, considering all the crap floating around in the air now . Anything that helps keeping you from distractions and keeps you focused is a good idea.

6. UpstateNYUPSer

You totally missed my point.

7. moreluck

moreluck golden ticket member

You never forget to mention the street hire thing.......geez, you're not the only one.

8. UpstateNYUPSer

How much package car driving experience do you have?

9. moreluck

Hubby is an off the street hire too (May).....how much package experience does Cheryl have ?? Is it 2018 yet??

10. UpstateNYUPSer

Has Bob been working on improving his public speaking skills?

11. moreluck

You don't have to talk much on the golf course 4 days a week....it's called retirement!!

12. Billy Ray

Billy Ray God, help us all.....

The fact that you realize you are lucky fortunate to
    have this opportunity, places you in a distinctly different group than Upstate. There will be some resentment at first from those who worked part time for years waiting for a chance to drive.

You can greatly lessen this by working hard, heeding well intentioned advice, and generally being a team player. Or, you can exacerbate the negativity by continually reminding your coworkers that you were an outside hire.

13. UpstateNYUPSer

If I were married to you I would live at the golf course.

14. moreluck

You wouldn't have stood a chance.......I had a checklist. Living at a golf course can be mighty costly to retirees who only get $5000 a month!!

15. UpstateNYUPSer

Never said I wasn't fortunate---I fully realize the opportunity I was given and have taken full advantage of it. What I have said repeatedly is that luck had nothing to do with it.

16. trickpony1

trickpony1 Well-Known Member

Was it your magnetic personality that got you the job?