new driver pay rate question

upser4ever

I went to integrad and now I have 11 days driving in. My question is about my pay rate. I have 16 years in the hub and was told by a union steward before I started driving that since my inside rate was higher than 16.10 an hour that I would stay at that rate until my progression passed it. Well my check from integrad was at 22 which was my inside rate but my first week of driving check was 16.10. i told my on road sup that it was wrong so he said he called corporate payroll and talked to the center manager and that I have to start out at 16.10 and go through progression, I dont think that is true and the union people I talked to said it wasnt true either. I was just wondering if anyone else has been through this and what they think I should be getting paid. Thanks

Rented Ammo

Yeah dude that's BS. I'm in year 2 of the progression which is $20.75 an hour...but my center hired an Air Driver who gets paid the Air Driver Rate which is like 23 something or around there until she hits 3 years then it'll be full rate...def call ur local and ask that question. If their not sure for whatever reason call the international ....**** that **** dude

You can ask 25 people what you should be getting and you'll get 25 answers, including a few, "I'll look into that." The only way you'll get this figured out is to file a greivance. Ask your steward for a greivance form.

U

uber

I went to integrad and now I have 11 days driving in. My question is about my pay rate. I have 16 years in the hub and was told by a union steward before I started driving that since my inside rate was higher than 16.10 an hour that I would stay at that rate until my progression passed it. Well my check from integrad was at 22 which was my inside rate but my first week of driving check was 16.10. i told my on road sup that it was wrong so he said he called corporate payroll and talked to the center manager and that I have to start out at 16.10 and go through progression, I dont think that is true and the union people I talked to said it wasnt true either. I was just wondering if anyone else has been through this and what they think I should be getting paid. Thanks

Wait til your 30 days until you throw a stink about it. Its one more reason to send you back to the hub. Think about it, would they rather pay a guy going through progression wages for 3 years, or $22/hr that your making.

vin

From the National Master Agreement, Article 41, section (c)

(c) The progression for employees entering a package car driving, feeder or other full-time job (other than an air driver or a job covered by Section 3 below) position after August 1, 2008 shall be as follows:

Start $16.10
Seniority $17.25
Twelve (12) months $18.45
Twenty-four (24) months $20.75
Thirty-six (36) months Top Rate

Part-time employees on the payroll as of July 31, 2008 who subsequently are promoted to full-time employment under this paragraph will be red circled until such time as the calculated progression rate exceeds that rate. The transfer date will become his/her full-time start date for purposes of applying the above progression.

So yes you should be red circled at your inside rate. If you are making $22/hr, progression will never catch up to you so you will just go to top rate (whatever it is under the new contract) after 3 years. Wait until after your 30 days before you file any grievances about it though.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
From the National Master Agreement, Article 41, section (c)

(c) The progression for employees entering a package car driving, feeder or other full-time job (other than an air driver or a job covered by Section 3 below) position after August 1, 2008 shall be as follows:

Start $16.10
Seniority $17.25
Twelve (12) months $18.45
Twenty-four (24) months $20.75
Thirty-six (36) months Top Rate

Part-time employees on the payroll as of July 31, 2008 who subsequently are promoted to full-time employment under this paragraph will be red circled until such time as the calculated progression rate exceeds that rate. The transfer date will become his/her full-time start date for purposes of applying the above progression.

So yes you should be red circled at your inside rate. If you are making $22/hr, progression will never catch up to you so you will just go to top rate (whatever it is under the new contract) after 3 years. Wait until after your 30 days before you file any grievances about it though.

Would he be red circled at the start or after he made seniority as a driver? The paragraph above says promoted to full time. Grey as usual.

browniehound

You can ask 25 people what you should be getting and you'll get 25 answers, including a few, "I'll look into that." The only way you'll get this figured out is to file a greivance. Ask your steward for a greivance form.

He's right. Nobody on your center management team has a clue. And frankly none of them give a crap about your pay rate. I started driving making $13.94/hour and believe you should be happy just having the driving job. Because in the end payroll will figure it out and fix it and you'll be sitting on a nice fat back-pay check! Just work for the 16 bucks and get the rest later. In the long run you will be happy you did! Just my humble opinion...

P.S. Yes I know I started sentences with "and" and "because" but please don't hold it against me. I was just trying to make a quick point. I still believe written English is a lost art form. Call me an old fart if you like, lol!

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Horse turds on not filing a grievance. Just don't be a :censored2: about it. It's yours. If you don't say anything your grievance will carry less weight 30 days later and if you don't approach them about it in a nice way and get it fixed working together now in your progression, be ready to take a lot of crap after you make book. Just don't be jerky about it, have a steward with you to help explain about your pay, work as directed, and be nice. You have nothing to worry about.

vin

Would he be red circled at the start or after he made seniority as a driver? The paragraph above says promoted to full time. Grey as usual.

The last sentence of the section I quoted says the transfer date, and I interpret that to mean the date he starts driving.

OptimusPrime

Horse turds on not filing a grievance. Just don't be a :censored2: about it. It's yours. If you don't say anything your grievance will carry less weight 30 days later and if you don't approach them about it in a nice way and get it fixed working together now in your progression, be ready to take a lot of crap after you make book. Just don't be jerky about it, have a steward with you to help explain about your pay, work as directed, and be nice. You have nothing to worry about.

Went through the same thing you are. Got my first check. WTF? I was taking a $4 dollar an hour hit. Went to my OCS, and they told me it's all part about being a rookie. My safety co-chair or whatever the hell they are called was in the room as well. Tried to sell me the same jive. "Look here rookie, this is paying your dues." *Yawn*. Wasn't the case.

U

uber

Absolutely not. Don't file any grievances until he makes his 30 days. It would be a big mistake.

vin

You are supposed to try to work things out with them first. The grievance procedure should be a last resort. Politely talk with your OCS or center manager. Give them some time to get things straightened out. Follow up with them a week or two later if they don't get back to you. This should take you past your 30 days. If you are still getting nowhere THEN file a grievance. Filing a grievance without giving them time to remedy the situation would be a huge mistake.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I'm pretty damn sure that's what I said. Don't be a :censored2:, work things out with them, and file only if they refuse. Don't be afraid to do what's right. Making your 30 days isn't going to magically change them all of the sudden. If they're going to be dicks during your 30 days, they're going to be dicks after your 30 days. The goal is to not be a :censored2: and by all means work with them first. A grievance is always the last option. Don't be afraid to use it though.