New Driver Senority Question

chopstic

I was asking one of the sups today and she said I am classified as a reg temp so they only have to pay me the 16.10 an hour for ground which is fine with me I was just hoping tha this would count towards progression which she informed me it does not. Im fine with the rate since they are working me 12 hours a day. Sometimes I think they are out of their mind with what they expect someone to do after preload.... heres 90 stops you have 6 hours.

that doesnt make much sense... I pretty sure they can only hire temp drivers for peak season. Are you a part-time worker?? do you have a normal package handling shift?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Honestly I dont know what im classified as we are such a small center (16 routes). Since they told me I was a reg temp I just accepted that not exactly knowing what that entitles me to. Im the only extra driver we have since everyone else is full time. Ill normally work preload and then just fill in where ever they need me. If someone is on vacation Ill cover that route, or run to the airport etc... I dont think I have one straight forward classification I appreciate all your responses in trying to help me figure this out.

You are not a driver by the books. YOu are an inside employee who is a utility driver. I definitly missed this line, oversight on my part!

chopstic

If he is an inside worker, and drives on an "on-call" basis when and if they need him, then he is an exception air-driver.

RedThunder

Under our supplement, Atlantic Area, you are an RTD (regular temporary driver).
Seniority part-time employees may work as full time RTD's.

1. RTD's will be used to cover absentees, vacations, time off due to injuries and long term illness in the package classification.

2. Rate of pay will be determined by progression rate of pay in wage schedule. Starting pay will be 75% of top pay.

3. When working as an RTD you are guaranteed 8 Hrs. While working as an RTD you will go through wage progression. RTD's who work at least 1 day a week will be given a full weeks credit toward progression.

4. Will be offered to part-timers in seniority order provided they meet entrance requirements. (DOT card, pass physical, etc..)

5. Any employee who completes 30 days as n RTD will not have to complete another probationary period when he/she accepts a full-time driving position. If employee accepts a driving job before the 30 day probationary period he/she will only have to complete the remaining porion of the 30 days.

RTD's can be used June 1st through Dec. 31st.

So most important parts are if you have worked more than 30 days you don't have to complete another probationary period. If they put you on the road you are qualified after the 1st day.

If you work pre-load and RTD in the same day they have to pay you RTD rate for the entire day.(or your inside rate if its higher than the RTD rate)

chopstic

wow... I wasn't aware such a position existed. But we are currently not under the allowed time frame june-dec, so if he is driving right now he can not be driving under the title of RTD.

That position kind of defeats the unions whole standpoint on reserving ground driving for full time workers only. I'm surprised there would exist such a position as to allow part-timers to do what the union thinks is "full-time" work.