new driver stressing...

Evaderman

New driver here...been driving this same route for about 3 weeks now. Things have been going pretty good I think as I'm getting the hang of everything. I'm on what they call "a training" route (although the other drivers laugh and say it's too heavy of a run for training).

First day on the run they said "we are gonna start you off with about 20 stops less than normal for a little while so you can get the hang of things"...next 2 days I ended up with an additional 40 stops. Needless to say those days sucked and I was out pretty late. The next 2 days I had a supervisor ride along with me.

The following week they sent me out with the original count they said they would. Mon, Tues, Wed were good days and I was back at the centre by 5:30-6:00. Thurs, Fri, Mon, I went out with an additional 20 stops and did pretty good (I think anyways)...Monday I was back at 6:00.

When I got in Tuesday morning my pre-loader informed me they had upped my count by another 35 stops...I was out until 8:00 and yesterday I was out until 9:00. Tuesday I contacted my centre at 3 o'clock letting them know I would need help...never heard anything back. Yesterday I sent a message to my supervisor at 2:30 and two messages to the centre...never heard anything back from anyone.

Don't really have a question...just needed to vent a little bit I guess. Not sure what else I'm supposed to do. I'm stressing big time..

moldsporh

Have you ran scratch yet? If so, then you are good to go.

If not, skip your lunch one day, knock it out, then check your time upon returning.

Once you run scratch, then del by the methods....don't get stressed, that's what they want you to feel, like your playing catch up.

Welcome to UPS

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Have you ran scratch yet? If so, then you are good to go.

If not, skip your lunch one day, knock it out, then check your time upon returning.

Once you run scratch, then del by the methods....don't get stressed, that's what they want you to feel, like your playing catch up.

Welcome to UPS

I'm confused----upsguy72 says that skipping your lunch has no impact on your performance.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
My first day out was so bad I threw up and they had a supe ride with me for like a week after that. They must've seen something in me though if they were willing to put that much time into me. I was actually surprised they didn't just pull me off, as I had secretly hoped they did.

It actually took about a year of driving for me to get the hang of it to where I am now though. But I'm glad I did stay with it as I can now say that I rarely if ever stress over this job. Even days where I come in and it looks like I'm friend*ed, I still manage to pull it off and get done eventually. Anymore I'm consistently punched out by around 6:30 and rarely have missed or lates. If I'm out later from time to time then so be it.

Sometimes it can get a bit stressful, but the thing is, it's only while I'm actually doing the job. Once I punch out I'm able to let it go and I don't worry about it while I'm home. Ever. To me, that alone is one of the biggest perks.

Evaderman

Not sure what you mean by "scratch"...is that the 30 probation time? If so, no I'm not through my 30 days yet.

I have no problem staying out until I'm done...although I'd rather be home before my kids are sleeping...I'm just stressed thinking that I should be getting it all done by 6:30...just don't see how I can. Doesn't help that my pre-loader is new as well so my truck is a mess when I get in and since I'm still learning I'm not getting it all set up properly before we leave

And what is this "lunch" thing...I haven't had a lunch break since I started :(

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Not sure what you mean by "scratch"...is that the 30 probation time? If so, no I'm not through my 30 days yet.

I have no problem staying out until I'm done...although I'd rather be home before my kids are sleeping...I'm just stressed thinking that I should be getting it all done by 6:30...just don't see how I can. Doesn't help that my pre-loader is new as well so my truck is a mess when I get in and since I'm still learning I'm not getting it all set up properly before we leave

Scratch is running the route in the same time their computers estimate it should take according to stops and mileage. If you've ever heard the term "overallowed" that is taking longer, where as "underallowed" is getting done faster than that time. Just mythical numbers really.

Start taking your lunch and the extra 30-40 stops will go away

Box Ox

I was out until 8:00 and yesterday I was out until 9:00.

Where I am, the late night fun doesn't stop when you get the training route down. Once you make your 30 the split route drivers start taking voluntary days off and you're blind running twice the miles across several route areas.

UPS tends to think that throwing you in the middle of a lake is the best way to learn how to swim.

It will get better and seem easier.

This.

I have no problem staying out until I'm done...although I'd rather be home before my kids are sleeping..

Hope you can get a decent route sooner rather than later.

El Correcto

god is dead
Don't really have a question...just needed to vent a little bit I guess. Not sure what else I'm supposed to do. I'm stressing big time..
If you are not missing businesses/air commits and coming in around scratch you are good. My management team tried to find my breaking point during my 30 days it steadily elevated.