new driver stressing...

Rack em

Made the Podium
Thanks...the regular driver couldn't believe it when I told him this morning.

I'm just stressing about getting hours now...can't afford not to work too often and the whole showing up in the morning not knowing if u will work or not and trying to find someone who wants to go home so u can do there route really sucks
I worked 3 days last week and was off today as well... But with time we will be working more, especially in the summer when more drivers go on vacation.

But why don't you call in in the morning instead of driving up to the center for nothing? I call everyday at 7:05 to see if I'll be working or not.

Evaderman

The very first day I called and my sup said "I guess we haven't really explained how it works to u yet...when it says call in on the schedule we don't actually mean call in...I mean u can call, but chances are we will tell u there is nothing, whereas if u come in you can ask guys if they want to go home and u will most likely find some hours".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The very first day I called and my sup said "I guess we haven't really explained how it works to u yet...when it says call in on the schedule we don't actually mean call in...I mean u can call, but chances are we will tell u there is nothing, whereas if u come in you can ask guys if they want to go home and u will most likely find some hours".

I have to commend your sup for his honesty.

This is what I did when I was a new driver. I would show up dressed and ready to work. It was not hard to find someone who wanted to take the day off. There were days where I would end up not working but for the most part the work was there if I wanted it.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
You're in man, congrats! There's really nothing management can do at this point so just be safe and delivery one stop at a time. You are on a route you don't know so of course you aren't going to be able to have the same numbers as the normal driver. If they call you telling you that you're behind, just remind them that the pointless phone call they are making is putting you farther behind!
I love saying that..."soooo I could have done four stops during this phone call why are we still talking" they aren't fond of that argument

Savvy412

Damn. I started ft driver nov and literally haven't had a day off since the first day I took off in my pc with a sup to train . I never see guys walking around asking to take a shift . That would be amazing !

Just hang in there man . You need to uber or something

MrBrown

Damn. I started ft driver nov and literally haven't had a day off since the first day I took off in my pc with a sup to train . I never see guys walking around asking to take a shift . That would be amazing !

Just hang in there man . You need to uber or something
Your handle isn't clocksucker either

werenotthepostoffice

deep down inside I really do not care
Have you ran scratch yet? If so, then you are good to go.

If not, skip your lunch one day, knock it out, then check your time upon returning.

Once you run scratch, then del by the methods....don't get stressed, that's what they want you to feel, like your playing catch up.

Welcome to UPS
"Scratch"? Why,yes I do scratch in public,in private and private places in public. What did I win?

Dr.Brownz

^^ ya, I didnt break for my 30 now I take my 30. I dont take a hour though. I would rather get home early then sit in my truck for a extra 30 minutes at 5 aclock.. friend that. Little 30 min lunch break mid day is all I need.

Dont skip your ten minute breaks. You are paid for those and ups will only give you more work of they figure out you skip them

werenotthepostoffice

deep down inside I really do not care
Dont skip your ten minute breaks. You are paid for those and ups will only give you more work of they figure out you skip them
The kid that covers my route, he's there and I'm at home today,is like that. They blow it up when he covers me. He had the nerve to ask me why. I told him,once you let UPS screw you,they don't stop. Anytime I've been off for a vacation,they try to blow my route up my first day back. I tell my dispatcher the same thing," I get paid by the hour,and my OT rate is really sweet" The next day my route is back to normal.

MrBrown

Because someone named clock sucker was trying to give you advice. If your area is like mine and you've made your 30 you are guaranteed to work. They contractually have to put you to work. I'm cover and help them and take days off when they don't have a route for me, and in kind I expect them to give me the day off when I want it (provided I hit my sup up early enough in the am)

MrBrown

Because someone named clock sucker was trying to give you advice. If your area is like mine and you've made your 30 you are guaranteed to work. They contractually have to put you to work. I'm cover and help them and take days off when they don't have a route for me, and in kind I expect them to give me the day off when I want it (provided I hit my sup up early enough in the am)
also I have free room and board so i can afford to take time off

billerz

I'm just stressing about getting hours now...can't afford not to work too often and the whole showing up in the morning not knowing if u will work or not and trying to find someone who wants to go home so u can do there route really sucks
This is what you will be doing for a while. Eventually you will learn what drivers will go home, and learn their routes. It gets less stressful as you get more familiar with those areas, and then it will be just coming into work, finding a route and doing it.

You will get surprisingly good at running stuff blind. It seemed impossible when I first started, now it's w/e. Just try to not let your sup stress you out, just do your best. He's just trying to make you work faster, which imo he should be riding with you for at least the first day on a new route.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
This is what you will be doing for a while. Eventually you will learn what drivers will go home, and learn their routes. It gets less stressful as you get more familiar with those areas, and then it will be just coming into work, finding a route and doing it.

You will get surprisingly good at running stuff blind. It seemed impossible when I first started, now it's w/e. Just try to not let your sup stress you out, just do your best. He's just trying to make you work faster, which imo he should be riding with you for at least the first day on a new route.
I agree, running a route blind is an acquired skill that gets easier every time. I've been sent to help guys that were blind and you can tell they just flat out gave up. They let the route beat them. You gotta keep your mind right.

Only thing I don't agree with is a sup riding with you first day on a new route. Most of the time, they don't even know the route well enough to be training someone on it anyways. Plus, when someone is co-piloting you, navigating the whole time, it's hard to actually learn the route.

Best way to learn a route is blind. You won't forget mistakes when you learn from them the hard way.

no more than 9

"Livin' the Dream"
New driver here...been driving this same route for about 3 weeks now. Things have been going pretty good I think as I'm getting the hang of everything. I'm on what they call "a training" route (although the other drivers laugh and say it's too heavy of a run for training).

First day on the run they said "we are gonna start you off with about 20 stops less than normal for a little while so you can get the hang of things"...next 2 days I ended up with an additional 40 stops. Needless to say those days sucked and I was out pretty late. The next 2 days I had a supervisor ride along with me.

The following week they sent me out with the original count they said they would. Mon, Tues, Wed were good days and I was back at the centre by 5:30-6:00. Thurs, Fri, Mon, I went out with an additional 20 stops and did pretty good (I think anyways)...Monday I was back at 6:00.

When I got in Tuesday morning my pre-loader informed me they had upped my count by another 35 stops...I was out until 8:00 and yesterday I was out until 9:00. Tuesday I contacted my centre at 3 o'clock letting them know I would need help...never heard anything back. Yesterday I sent a message to my supervisor at 2:30 and two messages to the centre...never heard anything back from anyone.

Don't really have a question...just needed to vent a little bit I guess. Not sure what else I'm supposed to do. I'm stressing big time..