New driver training

wasbrown8

can anyone tell me if there are written training procedures that i can look at? I was 8 days into my 30, my trainer did not let me drive much, pick packages or do the entire delivery routine. I was fired for "not being where i needed to be." I'm just curious if his training method is common.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
can anyone tell me if there are written training procedures that i can look at? I was 8 days into my 30, my trainer did not let me drive much, pick packages or do the entire delivery routine. I was fired for "not being where i needed to be." I'm just curious if his training method is common.
Were you recently hired as a driver or are you a PTer who got disqualified?

wasbrown8

that's kind of what I am feeling. i spoke with another driver that trained last year and he drove some on day one, then did the entire delivery routine from then on. My trainer sucked. And I got fired for it. Very upsetting.

wasbrown8

I was hired as a part time call in driver(cover) I passed the school and came back to the center to do my 30. My trainer would not let me drive much, refused to allow me to go out on my own and i was fired after 8 days. I did not have any accidents or injuries, he hit tree branches close enough to whip me in my face, he broke every speed limit, yet he told me that I was going to break a mirror and that I was unsafe.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I was hired as a part time call in driver(cover) I passed the school and came back to the center to do my 30. My trainer would not let me drive much, refused to allow me to go out on my own and i was fired after 8 days. I did not have any accidents or injuries, he hit tree branches close enough to whip me in my face, he broke every speed limit, yet he told me that I was going to break a mirror and that I was unsafe.
Welcome to ups...where management hypocrisy is the norm!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You need to get with your shop steward and BA as soon as possible. It is obvious you were not given a "fair shot" at qualifying and that you should be given a second chance with a different trainer, if possible.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
My center has brought on 25 new drivers this year and has DQ'd 23 of them. We will be hurting big time when the poop hits the fan this Fall. I think it is long past the time to relax their standards a bit and give these guys & gals a chance.

We got new drivers,they ride around with the reguar.....For two or three weeks.
Then they go out by themselves,with a 6 or 7 hour dispatch!

They also get the new trucks!

Wtf?

Are they,that desperate??

barnyard

KTM rider
Ours get a ride for 3 days, then go out on a regular training route. Looking at the dispatch, it looks like they are dispatch so that they can finish delivering before they start their PU. Our training routes are all fairly tight and are very easy to scratch.

OptimusPrime

From what I hear you can get DQ'ed for management just not particularly liking you. I found out from another driver that my center manager wasn't sure about keeping me because they felt that I was a smart ass from a very vanilla comment I made to them. I made numbers, was safe, knew the material, but that wouldn't have mattered if I hadn't won them over on my ride along.