New driver

Fourputt

I just got on with FedEx as a driver. What personal supplies do I need? GPS or no? I got a more reliable phone, but I can't think of anything else... Thanks.

Glorifiedpackmule

I just got on with FedEx as a driver. What personal supplies do I need? GPS or no? I got a more reliable phone, but I can't think of anything else... Thanks.

Express or Ground? Google maps works well if your in a bind. Otherwise paper maps usually work better for me. Also get a good pair of work shoes.

packageguy

Welcome to Brown Cafe, old fashion paper map, flashlight so when your out in the dark delivering you can see the numbers on the house. good working shoes, and clothing extra sweat shirt. in case the weather changers. good luck

Fourputt

Ground. I posted in the new people forum, but this one seems more trafficked.

Pee bottle. Gatorade or powerade work well.
Genius. Never would have thought of it. That's why I posted here. I'm sure I'll run into that ... circumstance.. where I'll need one. Thanks.

Express Courier

Bring stuff to snack on or maybe even plan on bringing lunch and snacks every day. Depending what area you are working in it may not be as easy as you'd think to get a meal in. And yeah if you drink gatorade or soda or whatever, save a bottle for the next day so you can pee in it if needed.

thedownhillEXPRESS

I have to agree with a good old fashion map book over GPS.
GPS is good as a backup if its not on the map though.
A radio is nice (satellite radio is even better).
Get a backpack to keep your belongings in, throw a few bucks in a compartment of it because someday you may forget your wallet and need some food/drink etc..
And enjoy, a lot of us here put up with all the crap because we actually like our jobs.....

HomeDelivery

with a temp agency or with a contractor?

better get a bigger bottle than a standard gatorade one... to avoid some of the hilarious replies that i read on the other thread i made up a year ago

i'll link the thread that i was slightly flamed for bringing it up:

http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f50/whats-your-favorite-porta-john-use-while-road-340135/

flashlights (spot light) and a smaller one that fits in your pocket (preferably LED)

I like to hydrate while working, even in this cool weather... cause once you start having a headache, it's too late.

you can always dump the bottle if full & re-use until done.

I have a pre-paid t-mobile cellphone with 1000 minutes; expires in one year & you can "bump" the minutes to another full year when you renew with a 10-minute card...

I have straps, lotion, powder, extra uniform, extra shoes/socks, hand sanitizer, baby wipes, box of dog treats, etc...

I got more crap that I take along with me than most UPSers/ FedExers combined :P

have a good peak out there! I'm finally enjoying my hourly pay as a temp driver/trainer:wootsmiley:

Last edited:

hypo hanna

Aspirin
Gloves if you are doing a lot of industrial stops
Dog treat are particularly handy in rural areas.
I kept a screwdriver and a small adjustable wrench to tighten loose mirrors.
In a file folder you should keep one of each of those odd items you rarely need but are often not stocked in the supply area. Diagnostic pack, mps labels, international air bills etc.

Like it was said above and bears repeating ... Get a good water jug and use it.

STFXG

Also, a leatherman. You aren't allowed to carry a pocket knife but you will be allowed to carry a leatherman or similar multi-tool.