New Employee.....And new forum member

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by SocalBrwn, Nov 5, 2013.

1. SocalBrwn

SocalBrwn New Member

I'm new on the forum and a brand spankin new employee at UPS, just met with my trainer yesterday and he told me I was going to be a sorter that I had two weeks to memorize the zip code sheet, is that normal, I'm doing my best to memorize it now.Any good advice?

I saw some other post and most ppl said that you learn as you go, does that mean that I'll be trained as a sorter before I have to take the test so that I can have some experience?

When I go back to I'm going to ask my trainer, but I just wanted fellow UPSers input.

Thanks for any and all feed back that I get.

2. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

Welcome to Brown Cafe and to UPS.

Sort test is usually about 300 zips, states and cities..

You are lucky if you are starting in the sort aisle - you must look smart.
    Don't prove them wrong.

3. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

He wore a belt and a collared shirt to the interview.

4. SocalBrwn

SocalBrwn New Member

I actually wore slacks, dress shirt(no tie), and dress shoes:smart:.

Any advice to help memorize the states and zip's, my list doesn't have cities. It's broken into twelve belts.

5. Johney

Johney Raise your hand if you think Upstate is a D-Bag

Zip code sheet?????? Are you serious? Where the hell is PAS?

6. How did you ever make it at UPS?.....................Oh wait I know the answer!.............................................you was in management!.....lol

7. Baba gounj

Baba gounj pensioner

Zip codes start in the east with low numbers , highest numbers are in the west .

8. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Conversely interstate highway numbers start with low numbers in the west and high numbers in the east. Odd numbers run north/south while even numbers run east/west. 3 digit numbers go around big cities.

9. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

No PAS in the hub sort aisle. You actually have to read zips and sort to the right belts. That is why you make the extra $1.00 an hour.

10. SocalBrwn

SocalBrwn New Member

Thanks every one for your input....any one have a good way of memorizing so many zip codes.......
    My main difficulty is states like Texas that gets divided to three belts, depending on the zip.

11. 8Keys

8Keys Member

Start by learning the stuff that can be sorted just by state. Then learn things that can be split out based on the first 3 digits of the zip code. The last step is learning things where you need to memorize each 5 digit zip code (or the corresponding city name). If you can get the states and the 3 digit reads down fairly quickly, there is a good chance that this will cover a lot of the packages you have to sort.

12. SocalBrwn

SocalBrwn New Member

Thanks.....I appreciate it, this is very good advice.

13. anonymous4

anonymous4 Active Member

Don't get too excited. You'll be tossed into a load when your training is over. It's really a lose-lose. Stay in the sort aisle and rapidly destroy your shoulders or load/unload and destroy everything at a slow-burn.

14. Whargoul

Whargoul Active Member

What the heck? You get training? When I started working at UPS I was a temp during peak and my sup handed me a crayon and said "these are your trucks, I'm gonna go smoke". Then he never came back the rest of the day.

15. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

My first question was "what is the crayon for?"

16. Can't speak for his center but at mine, they make loaders write the spa number on the outside of the box after they load it onto the shelf. It's supposed to help with misloads because you're checking the spa label more often.