New Employee in The Southwest needs help!

747-400

Folks,

New airport employee in the southwest. Been here a few weeks. So I finally got a job with Fedex. Now what?

So far, Its not that bad. The whole hiring process wasnt bad. I applied online, a few days later had a phone interview, followed by a background check. Then a f2f meeting then fingerprinting.

Again so far.... Its not THAT bad. Fedex payed for my shoes ($100). Did you know we get flight beneifits? ID90 (zed) fare, but thats a whole hell of a lot better than paying full fare. We pay 50 bucks round trip on Jetblue. (100 bucks to JFK!) I think its the same on Southwest. We get 80% off shipping rates. So... Its not that bad. Insurance, is payed via the wife so could give two ****zs about that. The pay... Well the pay does hurt. But compared to other airline companies its not too bad.

Southwest about $9 bucks (approx)
Usairways about $9.45 (approx) (NO OT)
Delta $10.80 (approx) (Dont forget they cap you on 20/hours a week. NO OT)
UPS $8.50
Piedmont $7.50

So a few questions...

I mean where do I go now? I sure as hell aint gonna be throwing boxes like this for very much longer. What about advancement? I want to get outside to the ramp. Whats the quickest way out there? What about TL or DG agent. What about going FULL time?

Thanks.

PS. I was orginally hired by UPS but decided to come to Fedex instead.

LTFedExer

I mean where do I go now? I sure as hell aint gonna be throwing boxes like this for very much longer. What about advancement? I want to get outside to the ramp. Whats the quickest way out there? What about TL or DG agent. What about going FULL time?
You'll need to keep an eye on JCATS (FedEx internal job listings). It may be a while before you can be a courier or even go FT. But, you might get lucky and it can happen sooner than you think.
PS. I was orginally hired by UPS but decided to come to Fedex instead.
Can't wait to see the responses to this one.......

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Sorry but you're gonna have to wait at least a year before you can transfer.

Why would you want to become a DG agent anyway? I don't think it pays any more and besides if you make a mistake it's just another tool of their's to hang you with.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
folks,

new airport employee in the southwest. Been here a few weeks. So i finally got a job with fedex. Now what?

So far, its not that bad. The whole hiring process wasnt bad. I applied online, a few days later had a phone interview, followed by a background check. Then a f2f meeting then fingerprinting.

Again so far.... Its not that bad. Fedex payed for my shoes ($100). Did you know we get flight beneifits? Id90 (zed) fare, but thats a whole hell of a lot better than paying full fare. We pay 50 bucks round trip on jetblue. (100 bucks to jfk!) i think its the same on southwest. We get 80% off shipping rates. So... Its not that bad. Insurance, is payed via the wife so could give two ****zs about that. The pay... Well the pay does hurt. But compared to other airline companies its not too bad.

Southwest about $9 bucks (approx)
usairways about $9.45 (approx) (no ot)
delta $10.80 (approx) (dont forget they cap you on 20/hours a week. No ot)
ups $8.50
piedmont $7.50

so a few questions...

I mean where do i go now? I sure as hell aint gonna be throwing boxes like this for very much longer. What about advancement? I want to get outside to the ramp. Whats the quickest way out there? What about tl or dg agent. What about going full time?

Thanks.

Ps. I was orginally hired by ups but decided to come to fedex instead.

Run Forrest!!, Run!!!! (Seriously, get the Hell out)

Last edited:

snackdad

Folks,

So I finally got a job with Fedex. Now what?

So far, Its not that bad.
Again so far.... Its not THAT bad. Fedex payed for my shoes ($100). Did you know we get flight beneifits? ID90 (zed) fare, but thats a whole hell of a lot better than paying full fare. We pay 50 bucks round trip on Jetblue. (100 bucks to JFK!) I think its the same on Southwest. We get 80% off shipping rates. So... Its not that bad. Insurance, is payed via the wife so could give two ****zs about that. The pay... Well the pay does hurt. But compared to other airline companies its not too bad.

Well, sorry to be negative, but FedEx will always wave these flags in your face that you are getting such a great deal. OK, they gave you $100 for shoes that they are requiring you to wear on the job. This is a hedge against any future lawsuits against the company for any injury (there are many) involving the foot. Remember back belts? Another easy out for the company. If you get that swell $100 and actually buy a quality pair of lightweight steel toes (that will cost more than that $100), who wins?
And onto the fallacy of reduced rate travel. In the old days this was a pretty good deal. We were treated with respect by other airline employees (so funny seeing that we are not an airline) when we traveled non rev. There were actually seats to be had then. I travelled extensively for years on non rev tickets. And there was jumpseat which sometimes would get you uncomfortably from Point A to B, but often left you stranded somewhere, in hot water with your manager. Those reclining seats in the Memphis jump seat lounge were pure torture.
Those days are long over. Jumpseat is gone. I am sure Memphis loved 9/11 so they had a great excuse to end this expensive benefit. To travel non revenue now on standby is not worth the 100, 200, 300 dollars you may save. You are treated second class, standing desperately off to the side with all of the other desperate airline employees trying to save a buck and losing valuable time. When you are stuck in Miami for 3 days because you missed your connection when you were bumped in Oakland, is the money really worth it, to destroy your vacation. To stand there wondering if you should just go home and forget the whole vacation because it is so hard to get a flight as a non revenue.
I truly wish you well with FedEx. Have a great time. It is all about what you make of the experience. But please, always watch your back around managers. The company is set up in a trickle down model of distrust, blame, excuses, intimidation, and retaliation. Do not give in to them. Be yourself, do not be bullied and again watch your back.
FedEx will promise you so many wonderful things that one day, long ago may have been worth the hell they put you through, but remember, those days are long over.