New Employee - Possibly Hired for Wrong Hours

SixSidedAnomaly

For PTers it is usually about 3 hours now. Run through some videos, sign a few papers, and give them the start time and supervisor's name.
My orientation went like this, but then we got right to work. At the end of the shift, we got a meeting point and an official start time with a supervisor's name.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Today was my orientation as a package handler and I start work tomorrow. My scheduled time is 4:45 but I'm not sure if it's am or pm. I interviewed for the pm job but just now noticed the application title is LOAD/UNLOAD AM. Does this mean he mistakenly gave me the AM shift?

Is there anywhere on UPSers I can find my scheduled hours?
do you have access to the thing that Alexander Graham Bell invented??????

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Then why does the email I received about my first interview specifically state "This is for those interested in the 5pm to 9pm shift only"
at our hub they state start times on a 24 hr clock. if my start time was 4;45 pm then it would state 1645.

clean hairy

Not given a person to report to. Told he had emailed my supervisor and that he would know I was coming.
Really?
You were told to walk into the Hub and a Supervisor with no name will come from an undisclosed location and will know exactly who you are?
Am I the only to not believe this?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
For PTers it is usually about 3 hours now. Run through some videos, sign a few papers, and give them the start time and supervisor's name.
I wonder if this is area specific, or if as a whole the company just got tired of paying people for 3 days of paperwork, safety garbage, and hilariously bad videos.... only to have them quit the first day they actually put them to work.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I wonder if this is area specific, or if as a whole the company just got tired of paying people for 3 days of paperwork, safety garbage, and hilariously bad videos.... only to have them quit the first day they actually put them to work.
Not sure, I'd assume it's company wide, but I've been wrong before.

Most of it is a waste of time. Videos or no videos, the company doesn't allow us to set up new employees well training wise.

PT Car Washer

Not sure, I'd assume it's company wide, but I've been wrong before.

Most of it is a waste of time. Videos or no videos, the company doesn't allow us to set up new employees well training wise.
The U.S. Army basic training consist of crawl, walk, run. UPS training is throw a new hire into the deep end and see if he sinks or swims. Which training produces better results?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
problem being, you would have a person who thinks 16:45 means it is 6:45 start time.
what? we had over 100 feeder runs starting from 0001 til 2315. it would be chaos without that military clock. if a new hire can't figure that kind of clock then HR made a mistake in hiring.

but i do understand what you are saying. i have met some of these clueless people.

PT Car Washer

You're not going to see me argue with you. I think it's sad.
In my building new driver training is much better. Gradually bring new drivers up to a 9.5 hour day on the same route everyday. Much better success rate including PT jr. who qualified last Friday and now wants to know how bonus works.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
In my building new driver training is much better. Gradually bring new drivers up to a 9.5 hour day on the same route everyday. Much better success rate including PT jr. who qualified last Friday and now wants to know how bonus works.
friend bonus. This is a union job. Make your bonus the old fashioned way. Overtime.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had a new preloader start on Monday and the powers that be thought it wise to put him on one of the tougher 3 car pulls rather than a rural 3 car set. You could see the frustration growing on his face. He did a little better yesterday but was still struggling.