New Employee Question

h4rmonthomas

I have worked at UPS for about a week now and have done 2 different jobs within the warehouse.
The 2nd job I have done looks like it may be where I will reside, which requires me to constantly reach over
the conveyor belt for packages. This puts a tremendous strain on my lower back which also contributes
to my collapsing disk in my lower back. My classmate and I have not watched any videos or been briefed
on anything, but my question is, does UPS offer any back support items for employees?

h4rmonthomas

UpstateNYUPser, wow with the type of work that most positions do, I'm surprised that they
don't provide this kind of thing! Thanks for your reply.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

UpstateNYUPser, wow with the type of work that most positions do, I'm surprised that they
don't provide this kind of thing! Thanks for your reply.

No problem.

Keep in mind that if you do choose to buy and then wear one that you want to wear it properly. You don't want to keep it tightened all of the time---only when you are doing strenuous work.

Drivers are allowed to wear them but they have to be under our uniform shirts and, since they have to be constantly adjusted, it would make no sense to wear one.

MississippiMom

At least where I am, they don't - we have to provide our own.

One of the safety things we go over in our PCM's is 'working within our power zone'. This means being able to reach, pick up and lower things without causing undue strain on your back. I'm surprised the supervisors haven't gone over any safety videos with you as it covers [their] butt in the event that you do get hurt on the job.