New employees beware.

I am a fairly new employee. Will be my one year anniversary some time next month. This is just a temporary gig for me so I can pay down some student loans before going back for my Masters. About two weeks ago at my station everyone was payed back there unused MAP (sick days). But I and a few others didn't get anything even though I didn't take a single sick day. I was under the impression that I would be paid back for these days.

They advertised this to me and other new hires during the interview process. I was understandably PO'd. I ask my manager wtf, where is the money I was promised. He told me he would look into it.

I found out today that I would not be getting anything back because I was not with the company a year. Missed it by a whole month, and they don't even offer a partial pay out which I would have been ok with.

So if you are new and won't be with the company a full year by the end of the next fiscal year be sure to take all of your sick days. Don't leave money on the table.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I am a fairly new employee. Will be my one year anniversary some time next month. This is just a temporary gig for me so I can pay down some student loans before going back for my Masters. About two weeks ago at my station everyone was payed back there unused MAP (sick days). But I and a few others didn't get anything even though I didn't take a single sick day. I was under the impression that I would be paid back for these days.

They advertised this to me and other new hires during the interview process. I was understandably PO'd. I ask my manager wtf, where is the money I was promised. He told me he would look into it.

I found out today that I would not be getting anything back because I was not with the company a year. Missed it by a whole month, and they don't even offer a partial pay out which I would have been ok with.

So if you are new and won't be with the company a full year by the end of the next fiscal year be sure to take all of your sick days. Don't leave money on the table.

It's always something.

MAKAVELI

Doesn't take much time to figure out how much this company tries to screw their employees, does it?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

Word of warning since you're so new, if FedEx comes out with any changes telling you how great it will be for you, you can your bottom dollar it will screw you in some way and benefit FedEx. Never believe the hype. They are masters of hype.

AMJ_SLAYER

Same happened for me. Two managers were telling my workgroup of about 20 people with around 10-12 being new that we would see our unused sick days as paid. They knew exactly what they were doing by not telling anyone the rule.

FedExMatk

I'm confused what the issue is... You only start getting paid sick days once you have worked for a year. You didn't have any paid sick days so even if you had tries to use them,you wouldn't have gotten paid.

MassWineGuy

The payback policy is pretty clear, is it not? You can't use any sick days for one consecutive year. Not 11 months, not 11 months and 20 days. One full calendar year. You don't like it, fine. But it's hardly unfair or unforeseen.

MassWineGuy

I'm confused what the issue is... You only start getting paid sick days once you have worked for a year. You didn't have any paid sick days so even if you had tries to use them,you wouldn't have gotten paid.

That can't be true. I have less than one year but have accrued sick leave.

*****cleared*****

I know a lot of new employees within the year who used sick days and were paid for them. Basically if your new then use all your sick days because you won't get paid for them otherwise

Indecisi0n

tumblr_mz1lafCEgG1tnxpnlo1_500.gif