New England Ice Storm!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Shanty used for ice fishing, which is a sport I could never figure out. People drive their cars out on to a frozen lake, go inside their shanty, drill a hole in the ice, put their line in their and wait for the tip-up to let them know they have a hit on the line. Oh, yeah, there is usually a lot of beer involved.

Picture the movie "Grumpy Old Men".
Oh, ice fishing! I know what that is. Never heard fishhouse though. Beer? Anything with beer can't be all bad.:happy-very:

LiL"Comet"

Good Luck Over hope your generator works out OK I will be Praying for the quick recovery the Brown Shed will be here for ya.

Working tomorrow (Sunday), then going home with the generator.
Talk to you all when the cable's reconnected.

Thanks for the good wishes!

Funny Bab's LOL :surprised:

I live in a valley and got rain - a lot of it. My delivery area is in the higher elevations. There was an actual ice line when you looked up the mountains. Above a certain elevation, everything was glazed over. My helper said that it looked beautiful. I told him that he was about to see beauty close up. There were so many low hanging tree branches that they blocked most of the roads. We made it through OK and the truck looked like a snow cone from all the ice that we knocked off the trees. We left everything at the mail boxes or at the bottom of the driveways. I stayed out of the driveways to stay out of trouble. I brought back one town because a state of emergency was declared. I only make a small loop through it and only had 14 packages. The other driver who delivers there was made to leave by the police. He brought back a lot more. Monday will be fun.

Be Careful out there!!!! Aim high in steering!!:wink2:

We are dealing with record cold temps and snow here in Oregon, too. Our power isnt out, but in this part of Oregon we do not normally get this much snow, and a lot of people are plain stupid when it comes to driving in it. The main highways get plowed but the back country roads and hilly areas that I deliver to are going to be frozen over. I will be chained up all day tomorrow and I'm probably going to be bringing a lot of stops back...and this is a BAAAD week to be bringing stops back. The snow isnt going to melt any time soon, either. I hope they let us work next Saturday, deliveries only with no pickups, in order to catch up on all the stops we will be missing all week. This is without a doubt the worst peak-season weather we have ever had in my 21 years with UPS. Wish me luck!

Good Luck to all those who are affected by bad weather :peaceful:

rod

Retired 22 years
Shanty used for ice fishing, which is a sport I could never figure out. People drive their cars out on to a frozen lake, go inside their shanty, drill a hole in the ice, put their line in their and wait for the tip-up to let them know they have a hit on the line. Oh, yeah, there is usually a lot of beer involved.

Picture the movie "Grumpy Old Men".

It's not as primative as it once was. I had left the heat on in the house last night so when I got there today it was a balmy 72 degrees. I fired up my 1000 watt Honda generator- setteled into my lazyboy chair and and I watched 2 football games on the 27" tv. At half time of the second game I ate a feast fit for a King (venison ) made on the counter top cook range. Although my fishhose isn't as modern as some of my friends - it is still pretty plush. There's no reason to be "Grumpy" on the ice nowdays.:peaceful: the fish weren't biting but who gives a darn. Yes there were a few beers involved

brownrodster

We had a snow storm up here in the northwest this weekend which turned to ice today. I drove around my service area (all within a few miles of my house) and I figure I'll only be able to make about 50% of my deliveries tomorrow. This route I'm doing is full of super steep roads that are pure ice.

over9five

Staff member
Here's our cars. That tree fell right on the hood of my sons Jeep, but narrowly missed my daughters Hyundai and my Explorer.
You can see all my downed wires in the bottom right corner.
docu0001.jpg

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had our ice storm in 1998 and I remember trying to sleep while listening to the trees snap and break under the weight of the ice and hoping that the house and cars would be spared.

over9five

Staff member
We had our ice storm in 1998 and I remember trying to sleep while listening to the trees snap and break under the weight of the ice and hoping that the house and cars would be spared.

It was exactly that all morning while we were chainsawing that tree off the car. VERY scary!

Channahon

We recently had an ice storm, but not of the magnitude that Over had, just 2 inches of ice, and no wind.

Our backyard is similar to Over's and our river birch trees were pinned to the ground by ice. I have about 10 of them, with the white spire birch being my favorite tree. If they're young enough, they should survive.

Luckily, the weather warmed up, it rained, and all the birches came back up. So hopefully the same will happen for Over's trees.