New express pay structure ?

vantexan

OMG, and you all say your grown men...you sound like women in a hair salon...it cracks me up lol. I personally think Fred is waiting to see what happens with the possible tax break for companies who hire out-of-work Americans. Imagine...If he raises pay JUST enough to fool those that are somewhat loyal into thinkin "ok, maybe Fred is trying to do the right thing" while dodging the union bullet, and they stick around for a while longer breaking their back for the company. All the while, new hires are going to keep filtering in to those positions that people leave from...turnover wont be quite as high, Fred will keep a few more of the people that know wtf is going on with working their position (for a while at least), and will probably get an amazing tax break from all the "new hires" that came in from being unemployed. This is just another theory ive thought of while reading all your posts that I havent seen mentioned...unless I missed something...which is quite possible. And for the record...Quadro gets on my nerves too, but now I pretty much just dont read anything he/she posts. Its like a kid that wants attention...If you give it, they keep pestering you, ignore them and they eventually go somewhere else.

Just my .02 though.

My theory is they're going to raise pay but then give Ground all of our P-2. So yes, we'll make more per hour but end up with less hours. So it's a wash. If R1a is right and it's based on total years then I'll get a nice raise. If it's continuous years probably not so much. It's the topped out people who's pay only goes up a bit who'll get hammered if suddenly they're down to 35 or so hours.

Ricochet1a

First, nice deflection and ad hominem argument. Second, you don't even work for FedEx and you're making fun of how I responded?? Hmm, ok. Well, while your sitting in your non-FedEx office posting about a company you don't even work for, you might want to use some of that internet time to learn about the calendar. Specifically how there are actually 7 days in the week and that many people don't work all 7 of the days. Complex subject, I know, but stick with it and I'm sure you'll get it.

So, you don't work on Tuesday, so I'll operate on the assumption - ahem - that you're a 4x10 Courier with Tuesdays off....

Taking your advice and "studying the calendar"...

You posted on August 29 - a Monday - at 900 CDT.

I'm going to rule out that you're on vacation this week - since you would've used that "excuse" for your mid-day posting if that was indeed the situation....

You posted on August 17 - a Wednesday - at 1026 CDT. Damn, you have the most flexible schedule of any full-time Courier I've ever come across....

You had a long dry spell of over 3 and a half months before that last post, then you posted on April 27 - a Wednesday - at 1011 CDT.

Gee, you have time to post in the AM on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays... All the while working as a full-time Courier. That's simply amazing! MT3 must've cut you a special deal to enable you to post when the need arises but yet keep your full time job as a Courier.

Please enlighten us as to how you managed to pull off that deal. I sure the wage employees of Express - for whom you've demonstrated so much concern for - would like to know how you've managed to pull that off.

Ricochet1a

Oh come on, you aren't even in the company anymore. Man up and tell us your name and location. Whatcha afraid of? I've stated my name before, still here.

You seem to have completely missed the point of my earlier response. Being stupid isn't what gets things accomplished. Being smart is...

There are friends of mine that are still with Express - it is how I continue to get my information. Take time to review either PEOPLE 10-3 or 10-5 (I don't recall exactly which one relates to disclosure of confidental company information) and review the consequences for their releasing confidential company information to me... My revealing my identity could lead to their identity being revealed. Call it paranoid, I call it being cautious.

In all honestly, you have revealed WAY TOO MUCH about your situation and your personal experiences in this forum. I don't categorize that as being a "man", I categorize that as utter stupidity - with a bit of deference.

So you've "played with fire" and haven't been targeted for retribution by your management - all I can say is at least you have some luck in your life. It has been my observation that the employees which kick sand in the face of their immediate management are the ones that are most often targeted for rough treatment in return - as you appear to have illustrated quite vividly.

When I was with Express, I smiled a lot, made management think I was a real "go getter". Why did I do this? Because it made my life a lot easier in dealing with them. Sometimes it is wiser to smile, shake a hand, and "play the game", than to openly confront authority. People take their guard down when someone smiles a lot while in their presence.

In unconventional warfare, the "populace" will wave and smile when "the powers that be" are walking through the village - then when out of observation from the powers that be, pass information on to the "resistance" to keep the war going. The rules of the game state that the villagers (Express employees) can't be mowed down (Fred opening up with that proverbial gatling gun) without some measure of suspicion being created. But he suspects everyone nevertheless of having sympathies with the casue of unionizing.

Don't go around creating hostility when it doesn't accomplish YOUR purpose. You've already blown it for yourself - I'm hoping that the lurkers to this forum can learn from your example to know NOT what to do. Wave and smile - then quietly organize when you're not being observed.

By your own admission, you've "wasted most of your adult life at FedEx". Begs the question, "Who's fault is that?"

I didn't waste any time at FedEx. I put my time to good use and when it became obvious that FedEx wasn't the place to be, I made my own preparations to leave, and when my plan was set, decided to cause some headaches for senior management on my way out. I controlled my situation, something which - from your own admissions - you have failed to accomplish in your time with Express.

As far as putting "your numbers and miles against anyone else's" - again, you have missed the whole point. Your numbers and miles are only good for the day you've achieved them. There are no medals or breaks cut at Express for the "heroes" of the Courier force. You can run at 110% for a year straight, but if you are at 90% for a few weeks after that, all that sweat and pain will mean absolutely nothing when you are looking at an OLCC for not making your CURRENT goal. You are only as good as your last report, what you did before that means NOTHING.

As far as stating things won't change because of employees "whining". You are partially correct. Ever see an ass of an ops manager get booted because of a dismal SFA? There are some things employees can do through "whining".

As far as "sticking necks out", it all depends on what you really mean. Do you mean what you've done in the past few years as qualifying as "sticking your neck out"? I don't call that constructive, I call that, well, you know...

Tell you what, I know you would like some protection from what Express is intending to do to you and the other Couriers. You want to fight "smart" instead of merely kicking sand around... Why don't you pull up the following link and fill it out:

http://www.teamster.org/content/organizing-assistance-request-form

If you really want to show how you are "a man", print up the following and distribute them in your station - without anyone knowing who did so (you'd become that roadkill within a few weeks if you openly distributed them).

http://fedxmx.com/sites/fedxmx.com/files/FedEx_RepresentationCard.pdf

If you really want to kick some sand in Fred's face, place the PDF file on a flash drive, take it to your local FedEx Office and then have them print up the form on card stock - then use your employee discount to pay for it. That'll show 'em!!!

And as far as the Teamsters go, I'll have more at a later date, but it does appear that for the employees of Express, it is the Teamsters or Fred - there are no other options to be had.

quadro

And for the record...Quadro gets on my nerves too, but now I pretty much just dont read anything he/she posts. Its like a kid that wants attention...If you give it, they keep pestering you, ignore them and they eventually go somewhere else.

Just my .02 though.
I don't even post that much anymore so how is that wanting attention? Sorry if factual info gets on your nerves.

quadro

So, you don't work on Tuesday, so I'll operate on the assumption - ahem - that you're a 4x10 Courier with Tuesdays off....

Taking your advice and "studying the calendar"...

You posted on August 29 - a Monday - at 900 CDT.

I'm going to rule out that you're on vacation this week - since you would've used that "excuse" for your mid-day posting if that was indeed the situation....

You posted on August 17 - a Wednesday - at 1026 CDT. Damn, you have the most flexible schedule of any full-time Courier I've ever come across....

You had a long dry spell of over 3 and a half months before that last post, then you posted on April 27 - a Wednesday - at 1011 CDT.

Gee, you have time to post in the AM on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays... All the while working as a full-time Courier. That's simply amazing! MT3 must've cut you a special deal to enable you to post when the need arises but yet keep your full time job as a Courier.

Please enlighten us as to how you managed to pull off that deal. I sure the wage employees of Express - for whom you've demonstrated so much concern for - would like to know how you've managed to pull that off.
You took the time to research me, how sweet. I don't know whether to be flattered or feel like I'm being stalked.

I actually am on vacation this week but I wanted to see if you would figure that out. I never gave an "excuse", I just said not everyone works 7 days a week. The funny thing is that you've detailed 3 days out of about 120 and then say that I have a cute deal. Really? Did you work all of the weekdays and Saturdays over the last 120 days? Didn't think so. So what makes you think that if I didn't work them all I have some sort of special deal? You even pointed out that I didn't post for 3 and half months and yet somehow I have all this time on my hands to post.

You know, contrary to what you might think, you don't know everything. There are other varieties of 4X10 shifts. Not all of them have a fixed day off.

Instead of researching me, why don't you research the FMLA act which you were so quick to dismiss earlier in this thread? You could learn a thing or two that would actually help people that would otherwise have an attendance problem.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You took the time to research me, how sweet. I don't know whether to be flattered or feel like I'm being stalked.

I actually am on vacation this week but I wanted to see if you would figure that out. I never gave an "excuse", I just said not everyone works 7 days a week. The funny thing is that you've detailed 3 days out of about 120 and then say that I have a cute deal. Really? Did you work all of the weekdays and Saturdays over the last 120 days? Didn't think so. So what makes you think that if I didn't work them all I have some sort of special deal? You even pointed out that I didn't post for 3 and half months and yet somehow I have all this time on my hands to post.

You know, contrary to what you might think, you don't know everything. There are other varieties of 4X10 shifts. Not all of them have a fixed day off.

Instead of researching me, why don't you research the FMLA act which you were so quick to dismiss earlier in this thread? You could learn a thing or two that would actually help people that would otherwise have an attendance problem.

BS...how convenient.

FedEx2000

BS...how convenient.

Have you guys never heard of a 4-Day cover/float driver? They run 4 different routes each week, covering the regular driver's day-off. Some do it on a rotational basis so that every 4 weeks they get a 4 day weekend. Week 1 day off is Monday, week 2 day off is Tuesday, etc......a small perk for doing a mostly undesirable job, does not get swing pay as it is the same 4 routes each week.

whenIgetthere

Have you guys never heard of a 4-Day cover/float driver? They run 4 different routes each week, covering the regular driver's day-off. Some do it on a rotational basis so that every 4 weeks they get a 4 day weekend. Week 1 day off is Monday, week 2 day off is Tuesday, etc......a small perk for doing a mostly undesirable job, does not get swing pay as it is the same 4 routes each week.

One of those opened up at my station, but I passed on putting in for it when I found there'd me no floaters pay!

SmithBarney

its called PDD search it on FEDEX's internal website... but there is no mention of pay action... I think they are finally getting around to the rest of the world(ie UPS)

I still believe It should be a progression(realistic something that outpaces inflation) based on performance, or progression with bonus for performance.

Perhaps lets say they go with $20/hr top, with the potential to earn quarterly bonuses.

vantexan

That was my job at previous station. Would still be there but company told mgr to make 4 of the 8 4X10's into 5X8's. I was the least senior cover. There's a plus to that job. In many stations the 4 rts are all extended areas and sure to be better than what you'd get transferring into one route. Knowing 4 rts also comes in handy if you are looking for extra hours. I'd do that over being a swing anytime.

If you're not already 4x10, keep in mind you only get paid 8 hours for holidays, sick days, personals, etc. Also, my experience is that 4x10 is more like 4x9 in reality.

SmithBarney

Yeah we have a 4x10 route that each day is a different route. Each route he covers is a 4x10, he's covering the 5th day of each of those routes...

And he's only been here(in the state) 2 months running it(last guy vacated the route) and he's already coming in 30-45 minutes before the "regular" drivers.

quadro

BS...how convenient.
Ok, just got back from a nice vacation with no internet and still have 4 more days to go. Why was my post convenient? I get almost 7 weeks off a year by taking the holiday weeks.

MFE, you post way more than I do so your reaction (and R1a's for that matter) brings up something interesting. All I did in this thread was post some information that people could use to help protect their attendance. You and R1a never responded to that. Instead both of you tried to attack my credibility. If I had posted something inaccurate, you could have easily discredited me by posting the accurate information. The fact that both of you feel the need to discredit me makes me wonder what you are worried about. Anyone reading this should ask themselves why both of you are trying so hard to distract from the facts that I posted. Facts that can help people. So that raises the question of what truth or truths you are trying to hide?

As far as the posting times go, I think you have even mentioned how you are able to post while on the road. Why are you the only one that can do that?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I carry a smartphone and a notebook computer. My responses during the workday are very short. Come out of the management closet "Marcus"./

snackdad

I used to be a four day float. It was good when we had it and it worked but that was only during really slow parts of the year. It was pretty routine to hear "that we are collapsing the four day" We were often used as swing drivers to cover vacations in the loop or even forced to do routes outside of our loop but never with the benefit of swing pay. One perk was that as a four day, your 5th day was overtime and working Saturday was double time. Our status as four day floats was never respected and our abilities to run four different routes was never appreciated. Another downside was dealing with four different trucks and the habits of the four different drivers we covered for. Some of these drivers kept no supplies in their truck or yesterdays chicken bones still left in the trash. Customers would always say, what are you doing here at 1600? the other driver gets here at 1700 everyday.
Also when the regular courier knew that tomorrow someone else would be doing the route they would dex3 or dex8 their most difficult stops and dump them on you the next day. We all knew the signs, customers saying they were home all day and no door tag left. This was a real bad way to treat your co-workers. If you brought it up to management it depended wether the courier was in the "good buddy network" if there was any follow up or not.
Management got rid of the four day to save on overtime thinking it would solve all their problems despite the fact that a majority of the drivers need to vote to adopt or abolish the four day. Operational needs was always the way to get around that and treat us pretty poorly. My life is pretty simple and I do not have kids and a long commute. I really felt for those that so much more responsibilities than me and were forced to work so much and balance kids, marriage, life outside of FedEx. The company cares very little for what we deal with out side of the concrete walls. We are all just a number and an accounting equation.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I used to be a four day float. It was good when we had it and it worked but that was only during really slow parts of the year. It was pretty routine to hear "that we are collapsing the four day" We were often used as swing drivers to cover vacations in the loop or even forced to do routes outside of our loop but never with the benefit of swing pay. One perk was that as a four day, your 5th day was overtime and working Saturday was double time. Our status as four day floats was never respected and our abilities to run four different routes was never appreciated. Another downside was dealing with four different trucks and the habits of the four different drivers we covered for. Some of these drivers kept no supplies in their truck or yesterdays chicken bones still left in the trash. Customers would always say, what are you doing here at 1600? the other driver gets here at 1700 everyday.
Also when the regular courier knew that tomorrow someone else would be doing the route they would dex3 or dex8 their most difficult stops and dump them on you the next day. We all knew the signs, customers saying they were home all day and no door tag left. This was a real bad way to treat your co-workers. If you brought it up to management it depended wether the courier was in the "good buddy network" if there was any follow up or not.
Management got rid of the four day to save on overtime thinking it would solve all their problems despite the fact that a majority of the drivers need to vote to adopt or abolish the four day. Operational needs was always the way to get around that and treat us pretty poorly. My life is pretty simple and I do not have kids and a long commute. I really felt for those that so much more responsibilities than me and were forced to work so much and balance kids, marriage, life outside of FedEx. The company cares very little for what we deal with out side of the concrete walls. We are all just a number and an accounting equation.

We are units of production. An employee number might as well be a vehicle asset number because management views us from a very simple perspective. If you are making the company money, you are retained. Once you are injured or otherwise a complication for the company, you are a liability, and targeted for disposal.

Jack_Burton

So I've heard they won't announce the actual pay structure changes until after peak. I wonder why that is? If anyone thinks the company is going to do right by the worker, you've got another thing coming.