New FEDEX Express

newfedexguy

Almost at a year with the company part time waiting for full time spot to open up. been lurking off and on, and this forum is great for information right up until the guys that hate fedex waste pages with people that like it going back and fourth which also has its place.

So far I like it maybe, because Im part time, maybe because i don't go into work every morning ready to bitch, complain, cry about the job Im working at. Who knows, but I love being out there on my own delivering packages. smile* I cant imagine how sweet it would be having a regular daily route. I do actually kind of like not knowing where I'll be, maybe its a slow day, and i get done early, maybe i will be there 10 hrs doing whatever.

From what I understand is there is going to be a lot of people retiring in the next 5 years which I would assume means lots of opportunity. I'm on the east coast by the way. The only thing I'm not sure about is where to go from there. I mean everyone is saying you wont reach top pay out ever. I'm not interested in being manager, or driving tractor trailer. So I'm thinking work full time make as much money as possible, and enroll in on-line school like a few of the others at the station.

Purplepackage

Almost at a year with the company part time waiting for full time spot to open up. been lurking off and on, and this forum is great for information right up until the guys that hate fedex waste pages with people that like it going back and fourth which also has its place.

So far I like it maybe, because Im part time, maybe because i don't go into work every morning ready to bitch, complain, cry about the job Im working at. Who knows, but I love being out there on my own delivering packages. smile* I cant imagine how sweet it would be having a regular daily route. I do actually kind of like not knowing where I'll be, maybe its a slow day, and i get done early, maybe i will be there 10 hrs doing whatever.

From what I understand is there is going to be a lot of people retiring in the next 5 years which I would assume means lots of opportunity. I'm on the east coast by the way. The only thing I'm not sure about is where to go from there. I mean everyone is saying you wont reach top pay out ever. I'm not interested in being manager, or driving tractor trailer. So I'm thinking work full time make as much money as possible, and enroll in on-line school like a few of the others at the station.

If you enjoy the job than good for you. Don't let anyone here tell you otherwise, when they started they liked it too. I loved it when I started 25 years ago and I've had my ups and downs but this jobs has been good to me.

With getting a full time spot, the first thing you'll get offered will be :censored2:ty, you might have to work a full time split for 2 years until you can bid another spot. The work life balance is really up to you, but if you become full time the company will make sure it consumes all your time 7am-?

newfedexguy

See that's something I don't see as a problem. We get paid by the hour right?

Maybe I work at a good station compared to others. I mean the managers are pretty cool as far as that goes, and will work with people if they have to go or in general as far as I have seen.

bacha29

The next lucky contestant who has just won himself an all expense paid trip to the FedEx reeducation camp and mind control academy.

newfedexguy

haha no need to worry bout me man.
I have to deal with grown men crying if they have to take an extra package that is near them. I understand that they haven't worked anywhere else in 20+ years, but some of them are getting $30 an hour delivering packages. Its hard out there to find a good paying job that doesn't hurt your soul.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
U r not the only express driver on this site who has a decent terminal...

I recall a Massachusetts driver that went to brown and here and favored here (for now)

Wait, did i read that right? ?? Your fedex express terminal has drivers in thev$30 per hour range? Say that was a misprint...

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Thats a dying breed. Just know that you'll never hit that scale with today's express division.

As long as you enjoy it... i saw a upset ups driver in another thread thats contemplating about quitting to move to the south because he has no family up in his work area... bad move in this economy to be doing that right now

Express Courier

If you get a nice route that you enjoy and you just keep your head down this can be a very decent job. I'd suggest becoming a swing (which will suck at first) and you can experience all the routes and see the ones you like and can angle for in the future. I wouldn't suggest swing to everyone but you seem like the type that would be fine at it. I was a swing for several years and there are some major cake routes out there. Pretty crazy how one route can get their ass beat all day every day and another is pretty much cruising top down wind in your hair never breaking a sweat lol.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

There will be many "opportunities" in the near future because everyone is quitting who can. Perhaps there's something you can learn from this, eh?

You have much to learn, Grasshopper.

Purplepackage

If you get a nice route that you enjoy and you just keep your head down this can be a very decent job. I'd suggest becoming a swing (which will suck at first) and you can experience all the routes and see the ones you like and can angle for in the future. I wouldn't suggest swing to everyone but you seem like the type that would be fine at it. I was a swing for several years and there are some major cake routes out there. Pretty crazy how one route can get their ass beat all day every day and another is pretty much cruising top down wind in your hair never breaking a sweat lol.

Everyone thinks their route is hard. Only the swings know which routes are actually hard lol

Jayhawk

The actual job of delivering is not bad at all. It wears on you after a while working with couriers that have been topped out for years while I'm closer to the bottom range after more than 13 years.

newfedexguy

haha I dont know, or think anyone with more than 7 years is just up and quitting, or this mass exodus people keep talking about is going on. That just seems like all talk. The only real thing I have seen is people continuing their education, or trying to get into tractor trailer driving. Im talking about the huge number of 30 plus years with the company that are going to be retiring. Someone was talking about a station in philly that has the largest number of them like half the station or something crazy like that.

newfedexguy

I haven't been friend yet by management, or the company yet ....... but I have worked for Sikorsky helicopters, verizon, comcast, and a grocery store. No matter where I go I have made great friends learned a lot of different things, and generally liked my jobs, as much as you can. I know that its hard to find a company you will work for the next 30 years they just don't really exist anymore. Especially with no college, and no aspiration to manage. I'm a soldier not military just in mind set give me something to do, and I will do it.

The thing I like about the job so far is the insurance me and the wife are covered. Haven't used it yet so maybe it sucks, but its way cheaper per month and co pays then my last full time job. The freedom of driving on the road. The work out you get which is one of the first things that a positive guy said to me. I helped him fill a 700 to the gills with a bulk stop, and after we were all done he was just like alright man thanks this is my work out for the day, and im getting paid to do it. It was a good way to look at it when most are just complaining the whole day. The people for the most part except for a couple of C**** everyone is awesome at my station. even though some people hate each other for one reason, or another I get along with pretty much everyone.

My question for some people that hate the company, where else can you come in part time with full benefits at about 17 bucks a hour ??? only requirement is don't be a :censored2: clean driving record and don't do drugs.

bacha29

Mr. newfedexguy is just that new. His irrational exuberance is conclusive proof. Give him a year or so and he wiill be like the rest. Just trying to get through another uneventful and hopefully forgetable day

MAKAVELI

I haven't been friend yet by management, or the company yet ....... but I have worked for Sikorsky helicopters, verizon, comcast, and a grocery store. No matter where I go I have made great friends learned a lot of different things, and generally liked my jobs, as much as you can. I know that its hard to find a company you will work for the next 30 years they just don't really exist anymore. Especially with no college, and no aspiration to manage. I'm a soldier not military just in mind set give me something to do, and I will do it.

The thing I like about the job so far is the insurance me and the wife are covered. Haven't used it yet so maybe it sucks, but its way cheaper per month and co pays then my last full time job. The freedom of driving on the road. The work out you get which is one of the first things that a positive guy said to me. I helped him fill a 700 to the gills with a bulk stop, and after we were all done he was just like alright man thanks this is my work out for the day, and im getting paid to do it. It was a good way to look at it when most are just complaining the whole day. The people for the most part except for a couple of C**** everyone is awesome at my station. even though some people hate each other for one reason, or another I get along with pretty much everyone.

My question for some people that hate the company, where else can you come in part time with full benefits at about 17 bucks a hour ??? only requirement is don't be a :censored2: clean driving record and don't do drugs.
If you are one that loves a carrot on a stick, this is the place for you. March on soldier. Lmao;)

vantexan

Everyone thinks their route is hard. Only the swings know which routes are actually hard lol
Believe me word gets around about which routes are hard. Want to figure it out? See which routes get posted nationally in JCATS because no one locally will touch it, including part-timers trying to get fulltime. Transferred into a station one time and had a number of couriers ask me which route I was supposed to do. When I told them they all burst out laughing. I ran like a dog. The 4X10 cover driver about blew a gasket one day screaming that no one should have to work that hard. Mgr pointed to me and said can't be that bad, he's doing it. I transferred.

DRAisawesome

I would agree with some of each post.
1. Your day will come where you get frustrated.
2. This job is relatively simple. Deliver everything on the truck and return to the building. Some routes more bulk than others. Just the nature of the beast.
3. A lot of people complain. Stay with the decent attitude you seem to have. No reason to get to bent out of shape. A lot of people just complain because they aren't happy at home or something.