New feeder driver (Addison IL)

P

pickup

Will I be in a room with a bunch of other people that applied?

The above is what the original poster also asked and I forgot to address it. It is more than a possibility that there will be other applicants in the waiting room with you. Don't worry about the competition, there is plenty of room for multiple applicants.

Sometimes, HR brings a bunch in at one time and gives them all the same speech in the waiting room before bringing one in at a time for a longer one on one interview. And sometimes, you will simply be there for your 10:45 appointment and the 10:30 and the 10:15 appointment guys are still waiting to be seen. You should be able to recognize them by the fact they have certain characteristics that belong to truckers. There might be one hub worker there to get a new id and he will not have those characteristics.

Be friendly to them, for they are in the same boat as you are and you might find they have another piece of the puzzle that you don't in terms of info. There might even be a repeater there (a guy from the previous peak), who, if is he willing to talk , will be able to give the real 411 of what the job is about in terms of hours, and the possibility of getting hired.

And be nice to the staff at the window and be careful about how you act on the other side of the window, they can screw you if they don't like the way you are treated. .

roron85

So the "appointment" went ok I guess. Not really an interview, just giving info on the position and verifying my info. Then I went on the computer and completed more info. Filled out some paperwork. They said the pay is only 18.xx!!! BUT, that the union is trying to get the 27/hour approved. I told them I would do it for 27 but 18 I doubt it, I can't really live off that. I got a call today for a PERMANENT position, but it's "on-call" and only 2-3 days per week at 18/hour, can't do that either. I find it crazy how they want you to be available Mon-Fri and to make it to the truck with 2 hours notice. So I'm just supposed to sit at home all day twiddling my thumbs waiting to see if they call me?!? I wouldn't mind if they would let me know a day in advance that way I can do other work and bring in other income.....

Brown Note

So the "appointment" went ok I guess. Not really an interview, just giving info on the position and verifying my info. Then I went on the computer and completed more info. Filled out some paperwork. They said the pay is only 18.xx!!! BUT, that the union is trying to get the 27/hour approved. I told them I would do it for 27 but 18 I doubt it, I can't really live off that. I got a call today for a PERMANENT position, but it's "on-call" and only 2-3 days per week at 18/hour, can't do that either. I find it crazy how they want you to be available Mon-Fri and to make it to the truck with 2 hours notice. So I'm just supposed to sit at home all day twiddling my thumbs waiting to see if they call me?!? I wouldn't mind if they would let me know a day in advance that way I can do other work and bring in other income.....

Starting out it's rough. Its a sacrafice that pays off later down the road. Also the first two or so years you're still in a learning process. They aren't gonna pay newbies 100k a year that are still learning the ropes.

roron85

The pay isn't as big of a concern to me as the fact they're only willing to give me 2-3 days of work at random times when I have to be waiting all day in hopes of getting called in.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
The pay isn't as big of a concern to me as the fact they're only willing to give me 2-3 days of work at random times when I have to be waiting all day in hopes of getting called in.
Like Brown Note said, it's a sacrifice that will pay off after a few years.

One important thing I don't know is if that "on call" is 7 days a week now (if used to be 5 days a week).

I talked to a guy in this exact situation, & yes he was hurting for $$$. Had only worked 2-3 days that month. But then he got a full week covering someone's vacation. He regretted taking that L710 job instead of "waiting a few weeks for a L705 job". Well, as far as I know, the L705 intent list (current L705 UPSers who want the job) hasn't been exhausted, and probably won't ever be.

govols019

You smell that?
And before I was a package car driver I was a part-time employee for 8 years working three jobs until I got the chance to go full time.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Wouldn't it have been easier to just start as a driver? :)
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1441938281.696964.jpg