New FMCSA rules July 1st 2013

doubletap

If I were to take my lunch between 12 and 1:00 and I'm gonna have a late night where I punch out after 9pm I have to take another 30min of unpaid break. This is the stupidest thing I have heard of.

If I were to take my lunch between 12 and 1:00 and I'm gonna have a late night where I punch out after 9pm I have to take another 30min of unpaid break. This is the stupidest thing I have heard of.
When they screw you at peak take yiur lunch right at your third hour and they will be screwed.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
It cracks me up the number of people that are like oh this shouldn't apply to us. Why?

Take your break (you should anyway). It's really simple. Outside of peak I've taken my full (hour) break 99% of the time for 3+ years.

This won't kill ups. All it means is they will have to set up routes how they should of been set up all along.
It just shows how many people aren't taking lunches or breaks or putting them down and working through them....

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...

Only if you are in management. Serenity now, son.

BrownArmy

Heard about it from the management at PCM this morning - only two days late!

The sup explaining it did a poor job (I love the BC - I'm more well-informed than most of my management staff).

I talked about it with another sup, he said, "Oh yeah, I think I heard about that..."

Priceless.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
DOT better be willing to fine or this will be ignored. Heard lots of complaining today.

Even heard a few say if I'm over so many stops I'm not taking it. I said well I'm not sure who pays the fine ups or u. They said how would they even know. I said u record it all in your board. They said yeah right DOT has better things to do than check if I took break.

bluehdmc

The IVIS in feeders starts sending up a flag when you are approaching the 8th hr. It doesn't go by start time it goes by what time you punch in at the dispatch office. I'm sure if they can program this into the IVIS they can do it in the DIAD.

DOT better be willing to fine or this will be ignored. Heard lots of complaining today.

Even heard a few say if I'm over so many stops I'm not taking it. I said well I'm not sure who pays the fine ups or u. They said how would they even know. I said u record it all in your board. They said yeah right DOT has better things to do than check if I took break.

$11k company, $2750 driver. Let them shine it off and get caught. It'll only happen once.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I personally think, and I could be wrong, that it was only meant for vehicles with 3 axles. I think someone at UPS dropped the ball when they said it was for package drivers. Just a buzz I heard. From a reliable source.............................

Ms.PacMan

Our PCM was mostly aimed at the runners. They were told that if they made it back to the bldg. under 8 they could take their lunch at the bldg. I assume they are letting them go and punching them out in 1/2hr.

PT Car Washer

I never could figure out how some drivers are in by 4:30 or 5:00 everyday and others are out till 7:00 or 7:30. Boss says they just work harder. This week says different as a lot more are getting in later. Almost like peak season.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Our PCM was mostly aimed at the runners. They were told that if they made it back to the bldg. under 8 they could take their lunch at the bldg. I assume they are letting them go and punching them out in 1/2hr.
They are not allowed to, but yea, it could happen......

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I personally think, and I could be wrong, that it was only meant for vehicles with 3 axles. I think someone at UPS dropped the ball when they said it was for package drivers. Just a buzz I heard. From a reliable source.............................

It's something we should all be doing anyway. That's the funny part. It's not like 90% of us didn't already have language to take break between 3rd and 6th hour.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I agree we should all take it, BUT, in the extreme heat, and extreme cold, I like breaking it into 5 breaks to stop and get a cool, or hot drink, and wash my hands and use a restroom.
I will of course follow the rule. And I will just have to take those other breaks and if it goes over my other 20 that I can break up, so be it, Ill deal with that when it happens.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...

It has nothing to do with how many axles you drive. It says if your vehicle is over 10,001 pounds, works with interstate commerce and transports hazardous materials. Sound familiar? Now I looked up the exceptions--you should too--and there are exceptions for the so-called 150 mile radius rule. Meaning if your delivery area is under 150 miles away from your hub, then you would be exempt. But, apparently not. Otherwise UPS wouldn't be telling package car drivers that the rules apply to them.