New full time driver

sandwich

The resident gearhead
It's hard to set goals like that when you don't know the route. The best thing to do would be not worry about Orion and not worry about what it's going to be like doing different routes everyday after you pass. Just focus on the route your on. Your only goal right now is to pass probation, that's it. If I were you I would show up nice and early everyday grab your board get edd print maps and sit down and high light your air stops, every morning. Once they are mapped out go to your truck and line your air stops in order either edd order or how your going to run them. That will save you time once you hit the route. Try to get as much business off with your air as you can. But don't push it too far. I would say once 10 a.m. hits stop doing air with ground and just finish your air. Also if you have a hard time reading maps i.e. you get confused where you are during your resi's. once your done with the street your on pull up to the end of the street at the intersection and stop. Then look at the street signs and that will give you an exact point on where your at and it will be much easier to go from there. Also routes typically come off in chunks. So like your first 20 stops will be like 2014 sparrow lane. Then 1912 bluebird ct. So you will be in the "bird streets" then when your done with the birds and your next stop in edd is 1567 treebark ave. you know your done with the "bird" streets and now you need to look at your maps and find the "tree" streets. Then look at the maps and head to the tree streets. Your stops should come off in the same general order everyday.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Also attitude is everything with this job. Going in defeated before you leave the building is going to defeat you. Take that sad sappy this job is too hard attitude and throw it in the trash. Go in with confidence. Stay focused, if you start feeling defeated swallow that feeling. Find your inner viking warrior and conquer your route. Look around at the guys who do it everyday without worry. If they can do it, so can you.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Another little trick I do if I have air for a major bulk stop is deliver as my last air stop. This will buy you a lot of space and room to work.

Well I'm 12 days in and I'm killing my route! Sure I have a hick-up here and there but Ive gone from 3hrs over allowed to .45 at my best and average 1 hr over. To be honest I don't really need a gps or map I just follow EDD. If I wasn't familiar with the area it be a different story. I still feel sick to my stomach every morning when I'm getting air together and when leaving the building. I'm so scared I'm going to have late air. I'm around 96-102 stops.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Well I'm 12 days in and I'm killing my route! Sure I have a hick-up here and there but Ive gone from 3hrs over allowed to .45 at my best and average 1 hr over. To be honest I don't really need a gps or map I just follow EDD. If I wasn't familiar with the area it be a different story. I still feel sick to my stomach every morning when I'm getting air together and when leaving the building. I'm so scared I'm going to have late air. I'm around 96-102 stops.
You're killing it but you're still over allowed everyday?

In the same boat sort of. On day 8, and up to 120-130 stops in about 8.5 hrs. First couple of days I ran around like a chicken without a head. The best advice I've received is setting up your upcoming stops. I try to set up to at least 3000 in the morning. That takes me through my businesses. The last two days I've need able to pull over in a shady spot and sort two sections. I find working by section works for me. As far as area knowledge, I find myself slowly getting it. They add a little more area each day it seems. Mostly at the end of the route. Makes for an interesting end of day.

Sent using BrownCafe App

platinum9898

Hey man I'm on my 25th day i know exactly how you feel. Residentials are the last hurdle hurdle to cross. Trust what people say it will get better, keep your mind focused only on what you are doing now and in the next hour. Just have faith and let god take care of the rest. Leave the worrying behind. This is a crazy process Ups should be a branch of the military lol. We got this baby!!!!!! It all gets better our subconscious remembers what we can't consciously

Sent using BrownCafe App

32F driver

I haven't been taking a lunch. While I'm doing a pick up ill throw a lunch into the board and then before I stop complete the pick up ill finish the lunch. Idk how one can fit a lunch into a day. Heck i'm already what seems like an hr behind when I first clock in.
Man, get out of that habit, stat. The way I see it is, ups has more money than I do, I'm damn sure not giving them an hour of free work every day.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Man, get out of that habit, stat. The way I see it is, ups has more money than I do, I'm damn sure not giving them an hour of free work every day.
This is actually something I advocate while training. Do whatever you can to make those numbers look good.

After you make it. By all means take that hour between 11:30 and 3:30 everyday.

wayfair

swollen member
Here's the thing if its taking me 10-11 hrs to shell 70 stops plus my 15 pick ups they're not going to pass me. This route they have me on is a 100-115 stop route. So they have it dialed down quite a bit. I'm using my gps for say 5-8 stops a day. I think it's much faster then looking on the map. If I could just get my own route, man that be titties.

just remember that you're only getting 70 out of the 100-115 stops, so another driver is getting that "extra" work....

There's a "new"driver in my loop, 3 routes over, that just started 3 weeks back. Well I've been getting splits off his route for the last 2 weeks... friday it was a 20 stop split, half apartments..
I asked my on car when the training wheels were going to come off, because that new driver has been in, clocked out, and gone by the time I get back to the building.
When I first started driving, I had a 2 day ride along and the keys were handed to me to do it on my own after that

Dr.Brownz

I just started cover driving at the beggining of the month. I've found the best way to learn a route is one section at a time. Learn your business's and then break the resi's into however many legs you require. You can sort your resi's into piles based on the leg and then organize your next 20 stops or so at once. It sucks going out blind but your getting paid so just take it one stop at a time and don't work more than 13.9 hours and you win

My biggest mistake my first day was getting overwhelmed by the amount of packages. If you stay calm and plan ahead, you'll get them all off in no time

letticesandwich

Thank you gentlemen and ladies (if one has posted). Tomorrow begins day one of my 30 day probation. I'm anxious, but more in the form of c'mon already. Let get this started so it can be done with. Gaining insight into what to expect here on this site has helped. Now I just have to go out and do the job. Drive safe other new drivers, and everyone else, that commented here. Thanks.