New GPS Time Study: What they are not telling you

As many of you know, the new time studies are being phased in thru out the country. They are GPS based using DIAD info you keyed in. No problem you are thinking, but they are using stats from a Ballbusting brown noser(one whos runs, jumps, speeds, cheats, cut corners and skips lunch) done on a day you had off, vacation, etc. When a sup reviewed your stops with you for this new time study, did you notice whose name was at the top. Hopefully it was you. Demand to review this because this could affect you finacially and with performance warning letters. This is a slick attempt to screw drivers! Most sups will tell you they do not know how this new time study works(acting dumb) :angry:

maybe because i am a little slower in my upper 40's then i was in my early 20's when i started driving. I not saying they are doing this 100%, but it is definitely happening. So just be aware of it. Tell drivers to beware of it. Thanks

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Driveslaver your GPS "time study" had nothing to do "who" was on your route. It is more like "what was on your route that day" business and residential. Then the center team gets to review the whole route that day and take out any unauthorized duplicate stops, whether it was truely a left at stop or should have been a left at stop, etc, etc, I left out several other items, before IE sends it to Corp. for approvel. Oh by the way - if you deliver in a older neighborhood where the homes are closer to the street vs a newer neighborhood where the houses are set back farther from the street - you will lose time. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Driveslaver your GPS "time study" had nothing to do "who" was on your route. It is more like "what was on your route that day" business and residential. Then the center team gets to review the whole route that day and take out any unauthorized duplicate stops, whether it was truely a left at stop or should have been a left at stop, etc, etc, I left out several other items, before IE sends it to Corp. for approvel. Oh by the way - if you deliver in a older neighborhood where the homes are closer to the street vs a newer neighborhood where the houses are set back farther from the street - you will lose time. Sorry to burst your bubble.
Are you saying that the SPORH on the day the GPS time study was done has no baring on the out come?

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Are you saying that the SPORH on the day the GPS time study was done has no baring on the out come?

You are correct, the study does not measure time at all, it measures distances and commercial vs. residential. It will benefit you to carry your diad to the door or the delivery point in a bussiness, and scan there and stop complete there. They are measuring the walk distance from the truck GPS via the DIAD GPS.

After this was done in our center, everyone gained about a half hour plan.Not saying you will, but thats what happened here.

You should also get a printed form with all your stops asking what kind of stop it is, storefront, office, residential, industrial, etc..

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You are correct, the study does not measure time at all, it measures distances and commercial vs. residential. It will benefit you to carry your diad to the door or the delivery point in a bussiness, and scan there and stop complete there. They are measuring the walk distance from the truck GPS via the DIAD GPS.

After this was done in our center, everyone gained about a half hour plan.Not saying you will, but thats what happened here.

You should also get a printed form with all your stops asking what kind of stop it is, storefront, office, residential, industrial, etc..

Wouldn't it then make sense to do this virtual time study not just for one day but for 2-3 non consecutive delivery days to get a true sampling of the route?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
For as long as there have been drivers running routes, there have been IE people following them around and screwing them out of time.

It doesnt matter whether the guy is on route walking behind you with a clipboard and stopwatch or sitting behind a desk looking at GPS and Google Earth, the outcome is still the same....99% of the time you are going to get screwed over.

The allowance was never intended to be "fair" in the first place, it was intended to create a "standard" that can only be met by working off of the clock. GPS and Google Earth have done nothing to change this basic fact; the technology simply allows the guy who is screwing you to do so from the comfort of an air-conditioned office instead of having to brown up and do it in the real world.

tieguy

Banned
maybe because i am a little slower in my upper 40's then i was in my early 20's when i started driving. I not saying they are doing this 100%, but it is definitely happening. So just be aware of it. Tell drivers to beware of it. Thanks

Seems like you would be quicker then a cover driver since you know the route so much better then he/she does?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
in the center I drove, the stats were intentionally rigged. Mgmt told me I had to maintain a SPORH of 19.5/hr to qualify. The standard was from the preceding driver. The preceding driver ran his lunches and breaks, and I know this because one of the on-car sups told me "off the record". They were also training me to enter air packages prior to making it to the stop to make commit.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone supporting a company philosphy that it is an isolated instance of the time allowances and SPORH being rigged on routes, is simply lying or flat out mistaken. The entire system is rigged to not only like Sober said to try to manipulate drivers to work through lunches and breaks, it is also there to attempt to discipline and remove drivers who are slower than the 20 something year olds.

pretzel_man

For as long as there have been drivers running routes, there have been IE people following them around and screwing them out of time.

It doesnt matter whether the guy is on route walking behind you with a clipboard and stopwatch or sitting behind a desk looking at GPS and Google Earth, the outcome is still the same....99% of the time you are going to get screwed over.

The allowance was never intended to be "fair" in the first place, it was intended to create a "standard" that can only be met by working off of the clock. GPS and Google Earth have done nothing to change this basic fact; the technology simply allows the guy who is screwing you to do so from the comfort of an air-conditioned office instead of having to brown up and do it in the real world.

The last time I looked, the average center gained time with this new study. In fact, did you say that you gained time? Am I remembering that wrong?

Your statement about the purpose of the time study is just as bad as the poor manager that thinks every driver is out to "screw" the company.

After 33 years, I know both statements to be false.

P-Man

Dragon

Package Center Manager

Thats right.

UPSTATE - from my understanding they based the GPS data for not only that day but checked it (for lack of better terminology) against other days to see how close of a match it was for the route. Most routes were with in 10 - 15 %.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thats right.

UPSTATE - from my understanding they based the GPS data for not only that day but checked it (for lack of better terminology) against other days to see how close of a match it was for the route. Most routes were with in 10 - 15 %.

Thanks for the info. That would seem to be the only fair way to do it and now that time studies are virtual it is much easier (and cheaper) to not only do the time studies but to use several day's info for comparison.

brownIEman

Someone is not listening.

Mr "IE is just trying to find new ways to screw you" are you not seeing the folks who are tallking about all the time they are geting back on their allowances through the new gps time studies or are you just obstinately ignoring them?

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
None of that crap matters anyway, you all get paid by the hour. Read your contract books, it tells you exactly what you make in there!!!