New GPS Time Study: What they are not telling you

themidnightoil

Whether you choose to believe it or not, the new GPS "Virtual" Time Study added time to the allowances.

Most centers, and most drivers gained time.

The facts are clear...... It's your choice if you want to believe it or not.

I have been on the same route for 8 years and always ran even to a 15+ minutes under. was told I would gain another 20-30 minutes with the new time study meaning more bonus. I did, for a week. now I show up on the report as over 45 minutes to an hour over with the same area and sporh and have been asked what I am doing to cause me to run over.

"it's not me it's your numbers that have changed". besides, "my time allowance is how ever long it takes me to get it done safely, not what you paper says". Virtual Time Study is stealing my bonus in 'reality'.

the moral in our center is much lower since the beatings started. the quote "the beating will continue until the moral improves" is not working.

thecamel

Waiting to put the re in front of tired
I'm not sure if you are saying that I am wrong about PDF, or that UPS should do a better job of explaining how time studies, work measurement, and allowances work to its operators.

If you think I'm incorrect, then stop reading this. I have been time study certified long, long ago. I have one of the old coveted "blue" cards (now obsolete) that certified me to do original analysis. I know about the mechanics of PDF and how the systems work, and PDF is included.

If you are saying UPS does a poor job of explaining and teaching how the systems work to its operators, I fully agree. In the old days we used to do that. We used to have operators rotate for a year in IE so they know how allowances work.

We cut costs and lost the understanding we used to have. You are right that supervisors should not give the deer in the headlights look on the topic and should not blindly use the computer.

BTW, the planned day is assuming a proper job setup. If you got a bad load, you will be overallowed. It measures how the job should be and points out inefficiencies.

It should NOT be used to say a driver is doing a poor job. The driver may be doing the job correctly but was given a bad load.

Ok P-MAN: How does the "because I said so" solution factor into the allowances, becacuse that is more often than not the final answer handed to us by our management team when we ask the pointy questions. We are a small center. Does that mean that we get the small (minded) management team? Because they cannot explain these new allowances in a way that makes any sense to those of us that do the work, and from the look in their eyes they are completely dumb founded as well. If this helps there is a center manager, two on cars, and one fulltime pds. NONE of which can adequately explain the signifigance of how the time is calculated on our routes. Maybe all the valuable corporate training skips over the small towns?

Overpaid Union Thug

Whether you choose to believe it or not, the new GPS "Virtual" Time Study added time to the allowances.

Most centers, and most drivers gained time.

The facts are clear...... It's your choice if you want to believe it or not.

Dont believe it. Our center used to be rolling in bonus but after the last time study most people barely scratch or run over.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I respect P-man, and all, but I have seen them manipulate numbers like a bookie. I worked for the King of it-til he was caught. Yet, he still has a job and I was threatened with the big can for not touching one of the hundreds of packages that was tossed in the woods. The videotape made in house proving my innocence meant nothing. (Yes, I'm still pissed)

pretzel_man

Ok P-MAN: How does the "because I said so" solution factor into the allowances, becacuse that is more often than not the final answer handed to us by our management team when we ask the pointy questions. We are a small center. Does that mean that we get the small (minded) management team? Because they cannot explain these new allowances in a way that makes any sense to those of us that do the work, and from the look in their eyes they are completely dumb founded as well. If this helps there is a center manager, two on cars, and one fulltime pds. NONE of which can adequately explain the signifigance of how the time is calculated on our routes. Maybe all the valuable corporate training skips over the small towns?

I respect P-man, and all, but I have seen them manipulate numbers like a bookie. I worked for the King of it-til he was caught. Yet, he still has a job and I was threatened with the big can for not touching one of the hundreds of packages that was tossed in the woods. The videotape made in house proving my innocence meant nothing. (Yes, I'm still pissed)

I'm not sure how to (of if I should) answer......

We have now moved away from how the allowances are calculated...... I can assure you that the allowances themselves are NOT manipulated. There are way too many controls and audits around them. They are stored centrally and have an audit process and audit trail.

As I said before, you can choose to not believe me on this..... There is nothing I can say to change your mind.....

That being said, the system (like ALL systems) is flawed. Some UPS people (like all people) are flawed.

There certainly should be better answers than "because I said so".

There should be severe repercussions for any manipulation of numbers.

I can't answer more than that....... You have a right to be pissed when things are not fair, but this is an imperfect world.

It does go both ways.... I have seen cases of inequity on both sides.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I can see where this would take the ability to manipulate in the fashion they use to. As we always say here, a few bad apples......

I do know that I never looked at my 'allowed'. It just did the best I could every day. I didn't seem to get bothered, even with hands that didn't want to work and a fuse in my back that never took. When​ I go back, I shall do the same. I have no problem earning my pay. I won't donate, though.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Has anyone ever filed a success Ful grievance against this GPS based time study? We got shafted here at our center.

Grieve it how?
Under what article?
Was your hourly reduced?

You people need to find a way to divorce yourself from the allowances, planned days, dispatch, over/under, etc.
Come to work and do the work, by the methods, and cash your paychecks.
Accept the fact that you don't and won't have a 9 to 5 job.
If you are successful in adopting this mindset, you will be liberated.
When you don't buy into the game, they are powerless and the bastardized numbers become their problem instead of yours.

Bubblehead, I just asked a question here, didn't ask for the same response that management would have given me. My reasoning behind the question was just based on the fact that my loop partner has much less work than me and his allowances are much higher. That's all. Thanks for being a prick. Maybe you should submit your letter for management, youd do a superb job.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Bubblehead, I just asked a question here, didn't ask for the same response that management would have given me. My reasoning behind the question was just based on the fact that my loop partner has much less work than me and his allowances are much higher. That's all. Thanks for being a prick. Maybe you should submit your letter for management, youd do a superb job.

Are u serious?!?! If the union doesnt recognize the time studies please explain to me how or why you would even want to file on it. Bonus baby perhaps?

CharleyHustle

Bubblehead, I just asked a question here, didn't ask for the same response that management would have given me. My reasoning behind the question was just based on the fact that my loop partner has much less work than me and his allowances are much higher. That's all.

What Bubblehead is trying to say is that there is a line in the contract that everyone needs to remember, "The Union does not recognize company standards". If you go down the road of standards and allowances, at the end is slippery slope. UPS, or any workplace, is not fair. There are discrepancies everywhere, the union feels that trying to make the world fairer could very well end up being far worse for the members, and I tend to agree with this reasoning. The company needs to measure work, fine. If you just do your job to the best of your abilities and as close to the instruction you are given it really doesn't matter what your neighbor does or weather there is a + or - before your computer generated number.

@charliehustle. Thanks for the educated, polite response. I appreciate that. @Bobblehead. I bet your one of these guys that non stop bitches st work, and is never happy. It's not worth it, life is too short.

themidnightoil

lost 45 to 60 minutes on my route doing the same sporh and area. lost my scratch to 15 minutes daily bonus. hmmmm.

one driver (runner/gunner) in our center lost nearly 2 hours. went from 135 stops and 14 pickups for a 8.5 day to 175 and 14 pickups for 8.5 and sometime under dispatched. skips lunch and runs and he can't run under any more. when he was on vacation, the cover driver was 2 hours over ever day.

wonder what DOT or OSHA would think of these allowances? corporate greed $ucks!!!

tourists24

lost 45 to 60 minutes on my route doing the same sporh and area. lost my scratch to 15 minutes daily bonus. hmmmm.

one driver (runner/gunner) in our center lost nearly 2 hours. went from 135 stops and 14 pickups for a 8.5 day to 175 and 14 pickups for 8.5 and sometime under dispatched. skips lunch and runs and he can't run under any more. when he was on vacation, the cover driver was 2 hours over ever day.

wonder what DOT or OSHA would think of these allowances? corporate greed $ucks!!!
BUT feel good knowing that MOST centers and routes gained time.... keep smiling.... wink wink.