new guy here

tre305

hey, whats up folks, Tre here, down here in miami at the Homestead hub. been at it for about 5 and a half months now and i love it, pretty much trained on everything from sorting to data ack (sp), to handling and imputing damages. looks like i got in just in time since they changed the whole contract as far as benefits and raises.

i heard about the whole thing of us possibly picking up some work from DHL but so far we've been pretty light, not even peaking over 20k as for other hubs ive heard upwards of 30k a day, maybe b/c we're a smaller hub.

but all in all just wanted to introduce myself and looking forward to meeting you all :-)

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
hello and welcome! I see you're in the land of Rick Ross and Flo-Rida not to mention Trick Daddy. Lots of stuff to check out here and this place is a wealth of information so make good use of it! Good luck with your career.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
20,000 per shift in a hub? You probably won't have a job after Christmas if your volume is that low. I think you probably work for a small center, not a hub. Correct me if I'm wrong though. Our hub does at least 80k per shift, sometimes upwards of 140k. Expecting 200k peak.

Welcome to BC.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
20,000 per shift in a hub? I think you probably work for a small center, not a hub. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
Welcome to BC.

We tend to think of hubs as the larger buildings with many centers in them and that usually works.
However, a hub can be a smaller hub.
Technically, a hub can be a smaller building where packages are processed from another UPS facility and where they make final center loads or intermediate hub loads.

These smaller hubs will run a night or sunrise sort where loads from multiple hubs will be processed and distributed to final destination center.
For example, the Tifton Hub, with only one delivery center, will process trailers from Pleasantdale, GA (PLEGA), Atlanta Hub (ATLGA), Jacksonville Hub (JACFL) and Orlando Hub (ORLFL) and make center loads to South Georgia centers, Southeast Alabama centers, Panhandle Florida centers and a few North Florida centers.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
We tend to think of hubs as the larger buildings with many centers in them and that usually works.
However, a hub can be a smaller hub.
Technically, a hub can be a smaller building where packages are processed from another UPS facility and where they make final center loads or intermediate hub loads.

These smaller hubs will run a night or sunrise sort where loads from multiple hubs will be processed and distributed to final destination center.
For example, the Tifton Hub, with only one delivery center, will process trailers from Pleasantdale, GA (PLEGA), Atlanta Hub (ATLGA), Jacksonville Hub (JACFL) and Orlando Hub (ORLFL) and make center loads to South Georgia centers, Southeast Alabama centers, Panhandle Florida centers and a few North Florida centers.

Ok but I am not sure why it matters. Any hub of significance has volume more than a small centers worth. Heck when I was at a tiny building in ENE our volume was routinely over 32-35k.

Welcome Tre ! =/

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Just because you dont believe it doesnt mean it isnt true

Amen to that, ML.

Welcome Tre, I'm in Stuart, Florida and we process less pkgs than you guys. Stuart is due east of the big lake. I'll be in Homestead at the last NASCAR race in a week. Look for me with the rest of the UPS guys. I'll be the one with the glasses and rubber nose, LOL.

Anyways welcome, and no question is a stupid question.

tre305

wow i completely forgot about my thread on here but thanks for the warm welcome guys! and to the one guy saying i wouldnt still be around after christmas, well im still here...9 months in now.

but yeah, our building is really small compared to HIA (where basically all of our work comes from) and other hubs, with our new building edition finally opening up we only have 7 unload doors from the feeder trailers, and only 3 main sort belts (anyone who has ever visited the homestead building would know)

ive been an data ac (sp) clerk for as long as ive been there now, plus i handle all damages and plus my supervisor is trying to get me into a class to become a hazmat responder to take some of the work off the person who does handle that stuff.

i pretty much do everything in the building except drive the feeder trucks moving the trailers to and from the loading doors.

as far as volume goes, i know on a daily we dont peak over 25k
but during peak i believe we reached up to 31-33k

Catatonic

Nine Lives
wow i completely forgot about my thread on here but thanks for the warm welcome guys! and to the one guy saying i wouldnt still be around after christmas, well im still here...9 months in now.

but yeah, our building is really small compared to HIA (where basically all of our work comes from) and other hubs, with our new building edition finally opening up we only have 7 unload doors from the feeder trailers, and only 3 main sort belts (anyone who has ever visited the homestead building would know)

ive been an data ac (sp) clerk for as long as ive been there now, plus i handle all damages and plus my supervisor is trying to get me into a class to become a hazmat responder to take some of the work off the person who does handle that stuff.

i pretty much do everything in the building except drive the feeder trucks moving the trailers to and from the loading doors.

as far as volume goes, i know on a daily we dont peak over 25k
but during peak i believe we reached up to 31-33k

Welcome back.
Spotting trailers is still a possibility.

tre305

Welcome back.
Spotting trailers is still a possibility.

ive been thinking about asking my sup about it
but we get so much work in data ac that when im pulled away
to do damages or repacks, it starts to build up on the other clerks left
upstairs. they really need to bring one or two more people in and train em
on it b/c with this new policy ive heard about going into effect next month
(no package left behind) i hope they dont expect me to make sure every package is corrected as well as processing and repacking damages

fethrs

Hi Tre, you sound like me except the hazmat training part, I have done just about every job at my hub in the 13 years i've been there.:peaceful:

helenofcalifornia

Tre, how long of a wait to go driving where you at? Do you want to go driving? And no kidding you got hired in the nick of time with the new contract and all. Sounds like you are the "go to" man where you work.