New Guy: Loading question

Thenewbie

hey guys im a new hire, been working for about a week or so. Today I was almost done with my 3 car set, but I had to get help from other loaders...The FT supe came and told me I could go home. Is that a good or bad thing?

cover32

they usually send people home by seniority order. so if you are the lowest senior person you leave first. you should be fine everyone needs help wrapping up every now and then

laffter

Sounds pretty typical. It's possible that since your seniority is very low (nonexistent), other guys wanted the extra time so they sent you home instead. There's no sense in them keeping everyone on the clock when the other guys can wrap up quicker than you can.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
hey guys im a new hire, been working for about a week or so. Today I was almost done with my 3 car set, but I had to get help from other loaders...The FT supe came and told me I could go home. Is that a good or bad thing?
Yes, it's typical....and until you make book, get used to it...won't be the last time.

I started a few months ago and I understand where you are coming from, but I quickly learned that unless they're actively saying you did something wrong, being sent home early isn't a sign you friend'd up. They just want to clear people out so they don't need to pay for more hands than they need. I made book two weeks ago and I -wish- I was getting sent home as early now as I was before. =p

BrownChoice

I started a few months ago and I understand where you are coming from, but I quickly learned that unless they're actively saying you did something wrong, being sent home early isn't a sign you friend'd up. They just want to clear people out so they don't need to pay for more hands than they need. I made book two weeks ago and I -wish- I was getting sent home as early now as I was before. =p

Then you will fit in well with this company.. I honestly cant see the reason to want to be sent home especially as a part timer making 100-130$/week when you first start...

Im not saying milk the clock, but dont break your back to get sent home early, for very little money.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Two weeks? Wait a few years....lol

BrownChoice

Two weeks? Wait a few years....lol

Hahah exactly bb58!! Ive been with Big brown 6 years come February.. I am a loader and utility drive, and i watch the new hires(unloaders) work as fast as possible, then come friday bit ch and complain about the measly paychecks they get.. Well, NO WONDER!!!!!

J

jibbs

I honestly cant see the reason to want to be sent home especially as a part timer making 100-130$/week when you first start...

When I've got a hangover the only words I want to hear from a supe are "Anybody lookin' to go?" As long as it's not the pay period my dues are coming out of I'll take that early ride home every now and again and reacquaint myself with my bed for a few hours.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Hahah exactly bb58!! Ive been with Big brown 6 years come February.. I am a loader and utility drive, and i watch the new hires(unloaders) work as fast as possible, then come friday bit ch and complain about the measly paychecks they get.. Well, NO WONDER!!!!!
7 years as a loader....lift heavy package, put it down...repeat lol.

cynic

They tend to let the senior (PT) people go early and keep the newbies on the clock.

Sup's like keeping an $8.50/hour newbie busting hump to be retained after the seasonal period.

Box Ox

I'd refuse to sign for any misloads the next day as I couldn't be certain they were mine. Would obviously be a problem for you as a new hire.

J

jibbs

Oh, yes I remember that game. Just last week, according to management, I magically had 17 misloads....while on vacation. lol

Last time they tried to have me sign, they said it couldn't be held against me or used as punishment in any way. I told them to get me a union steward. They brought the preload PT steward. I asked him which local we operate out of, he said he couldn't remember the number. I refused to sign anything with his representation.

I haven't been approached with that gosh darn clipboard since.

BrownChoice

When I've got a hangover the only words I want to hear from a supe are "Anybody lookin' to go?" As long as it's not the pay period my dues are coming out of I'll take that early ride home every now and again and reacquaint myself with my bed for a few hours.

I agree with you. Too bad around here no one knows when the dues come out.. Used to be first pay period of the month, now its whenever they want cuz its not consistent.. They take dues out end of month then the first week so its two weeks in a row... Pretty messsed up.. At least im netting around $380 now.. Now if the union did a dam thing for us around here, thats another story....

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I agree with you. Too bad around here no one knows when the dues come out.. Used to be first pay period of the month, now its whenever they want cuz its not consistent.. They take dues out end of month then the first week so its two weeks in a row... Pretty messsed up.. At least im netting around $380 now.. Now if the union did a dam thing for us around here, thats another story....

​I've heard of them storing up water.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Then you will fit in well with this company.. I honestly cant see the reason to want to be sent home especially as a part timer making 100-130$/week when you first start...

Im not saying milk the clock, but dont break your back to get sent home early, for very little money.

Some people will only do enough to get by, nothing else to better themselves. I have this co-worker that loves to say yes when my pt sup tells him he could take the day off. All he cares about is food and weed, nothing else to better himself. He even hops the subway thingy and never pays. Really a sad sad sad thing to see.