New guy struggling

JonFrum

If you report for work as instructed, you are guaranteed three-and-one-half hours work as stated in Article 22 of the Contract. This guarantee applies to all part-time employees, even if they haven't made seniority; but you will probably have to invoke your guarantee when your Supervisor tries to send you home. If you go home voluntarily, you loose your guarantee. Talk to your Steward first. He may be able to correct the problem quietly.

JonFrum

my understanding is that i'm not guaranteed 3.5 hours until i've logged 30 working days
Many people believe you have to be in the Union, you have to have made Seniority, to be protected by the Contract. I don't think so. The Contract covers the entire Bargaining Unit, not just dues paying union members. The Contract really covers "the work" rather than any particular individual employee. In Right-To-Work States, for example, the Contract applies fully to non-union members and union members alike. Almost all the provisions of the Contract apply to a New Hire from Day One. The major exception, as stated in the Contract, is that UPS can fire you during your probationary period without protest by the Union. But even here, UPS can't fire someone as a ruse to evade the provisions of the Contract.

Of course, since you're new, you may want to "lay low" and not get a target on your back. I understand that. But your Steward should be quietly informed that the Company is violating the Contract, and everyone's standards are being eroded.

I'll bet the Company is trying to send seniority members home too!!!

klein

Für Meno :)
Like always JonFrum is right on the money !

So, like he suggests you go HIGHLY CONFIDENTIAL to your shop steward, and tell him not to approch management, but only the union hall, and they in turn need to keep it secret, too.

With some luck, after your probation period is done - you may receive a nice back pay :)

Jon, what happens if the OP does ask for his guarantee and then they turn around and lay him off? I think a few hours is better than no hours.

now, i'm really confused. i was wondering if anyone else was having a similar problem in their building? my trainer, a part-timer told me to patiently wait for the volume to pick up sometime after The Fourth. Is that advice consistent with anyone else's experience? As for talking to the union my shop co-chair has also told me I'm not in the union until after 30 days. I plan on going to the steward, where would I look to cite "The Contract"?

Or, as soon as your eligible, file on your 3.5 and let them know that you`re not another member of the sheep club who`s going to take whatever scoop of crap they give you. Your knowledge of your contractual rights should begin on day one. Not several years down the line after you`ve lost thousands of dollars.

I wish I knew then what I know now.

ymelord

now, i'm really confused. i was wondering if anyone else was having a similar problem in their building? my trainer, a part-timer told me to patiently wait for the volume to pick up sometime after The Fourth. Is that advice consistent with anyone else's experience? As for talking to the union my shop co-chair has also told me I'm not in the union until after 30 days. I plan on going to the steward, where would I look to cite "The Contract"?
copy of the contract http://www.teamster.org/sites/teamst...02008-2013.pdf
I wouldn't make to big of waves till you get your days in. There will be lots of grievences to file in time, lots.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Always avoid anything klein says. { he got canned for drinking on the job, and his comments are highly biased }
ps. don't eat anything from his hotdog cart.

JonFrum

Jon, what happens if the OP does ask for his guarantee and then they turn around and lay him off? I think a few hours is better than no hours.
Three-and-a-half hours is "a few hours"!!! Very few.

We are talking about an employee that UPS chose to hire, despite their general reluctance to hire additional employees, even when desperately needed.

This part-timer makes only $8.50 per hour. And doesn't yet qualify for health insurance or vested pension credit.

His expenses for car, gas, dues, and initiation fees alone require that he work a certain minimum number of hours just to make coming to work worth the time and trouble.

No matter what the situation, there will always be a New Hire who is struggling to get hours, and a Yet-To-Be-Hired who the Company keeps stringing along. All a union can do is try to keep the jerking around to a minimum.

There are proper proceedures for laying off an employee. Being laid off properly may be preferable to driving into work and being told to go home right now.
- - - -
MattRyan, the Contract clause is . . .

ARTICLE 22. PART-TIME EMPLOYEES
Sections 5.Wages
"All part-time employees governed by this Article shall be provided a minimum daily three and one-half (3-1/2) hour guarantee."

Note it says ALL. If the parties ment only Seniority part-timers, they would have said "Seniority part-timers . . ."

Are you being sent home without any work, or are they just sending you home after three hours or so?

menotyou

bella amicizia
If he gets laid off, then that is what happens. Letting UPS get away with cutting the pittance of time preload gets as it is is a travesty. If they can't take time out of their day to do their job-schedule, then they deserve a grievance. Several.