New Health Care Legislation

Catatonic

Nine Lives
And if that's not bad enough, there is talk of a "means testing" rumor, that your social security benefits may be reduced, based on your retirement income. So as you and your employer paid into your account, and worked responsibly all your life, the government will thank you by reducing your benefit, based on your retirement pay. How is that for a stab in the back?

Expected.
Entitlement is only for those who have little - for whatever reason.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
In all probability the House and Senate will find a way to stick it to all in the middle class!
the working class stiff always gets the short end of the stick. people make from 40 grand to 200 grand a year are always the first to have to invest in vasoline.

corporations dont pay taxes, people do. corps just pass the tax burden to the customer, which is you and i

so those of you that dont understand how we get the shaft, understand, you will end up paying the tax on your health care, and within a few more years, your retirement program. ups is not going to pay, without getting the money from you in other ways. pure and simple.

the working stiff gets stiffed not only by the company, but the gooberment that "represents" him

d

blue efficacy

Didn't take long for Obama and the Democrat party (Labors friends, yeah right) to stab us in the back.
So he wants overpaid truck drivers to pay more so all of the underpaid truck drivers out there can more easily get coverage. Big deal.

We get great benefits working for UPS, and you get great pay. Be grateful.

Remember people, Sarah Palin spreading defamatory lies about something doesn't make it automatically bad.

delivery_boy

who gives a crap about sara palin? read the bill and educate yourself, blue, we will get taxed. at least another car payment out of our check each month. social justice at its worst. rob the working man to pay for the man who won't. has nothing to do with those so called underpaid truck drivers. if they want to make more they can always better themselves by getting a better job.

Last edited:

Babagounj

Strength through joy
this crap of a bill automatically starts taxing everyone while paying nothing out until 2014.
I call this the end of the insurance companies bill.
At first the government will keep costs low to entice employers to switch from private insurance companies, once that is done the private insurance companies will lose so much business that they will be forced to close.
Leaving everyone with no option but to join the government approved plan.
Think of it as currently one goes to a private doctor's office to seek treatment, in the future be prepared to go to a warehouse , stand in line forever and have some pencil pusher determine just what the government will allow you to be treated for.
Also you can kiss goodbye all regional & community hospitals .
And according to GAO after this law takes effect millions will still be without coverage; so that raise the question: If this bill was to provide the uninsured with coverage why doesn't it ?
Because this bill was never about health care reform.
Its about power; more for the government and none for the people.
All your freedoms are none gone.
How's that for hope & change.

blue efficacy

who gives a crap about sara palin? read the bill and educate yourself, blue, we will get taxed. at least another car payment out of our check each month. social justice at its worst. rob the working man to pay for the man who won't. has nothing to do with those so called underpaid truck drivers. if they want to make more they can always better themselves by getting a better job.
Thanks to Reagan and his policies, among other things you will not often find blue collar workers who live nearly as comfortable as you.

But you were lucky enough to find a high paying job that requires no skills, what is wrong with all of these other people? Oh yeah, there aren't millions of jobs like that to go around.

You have it very good. And very curiously you say "social justice" is a bad thing. May I ask why? And this legislation is not for the man who won't work (actually in most situations it is can't, being in your secure job it's easy to forget what the job market is like...) as they already have Medicaid and such.

Oh and Baba, with all due respect let's not taint the debate with completely unsubstantiated rhetoric like, "There'll be RATIONING and DEATH PANELS!!!"

island1fox

Thanks to Reagan and his policies, among other things you will not often find blue collar workers who live nearly as comfortable as you.

But you were lucky enough to find a high paying job that requires no skills, what is wrong with all of these other people? Oh yeah, there aren't millions of jobs like that to go around.

You have it very good. And very curiously you say "social justice" is a bad thing. May I ask why? And this legislation is not for the man who won't work (actually in most situations it is can't, being in your secure job it's easy to forget what the job market is like...) as they already have Medicaid and such.

Oh and Baba, with all due respect let's not taint the debate with completely unsubstantiated rhetoric like, "There'll be RATIONING and DEATH PANELS!!!"

Blue,
With all due respect --forget all the politicians --lets use common sense:
1. It appears the Senate Bill will become the law of the land.
2. This bill has the poor and the non paying tax citizens and illegal aliens all covered.
3. It forces the young and healthy to purchase health insurance from the private companies or pay a fine of 750$. Since the fine is lower that the thousand dollar premiums --the young will not buy Insurance. Now -when or if they get sick they can immediately buy insurance and cannot be turned down.
With more "sick" people covered --all premiums will go up. Some say so what --the union will not allow Ups to change Health care --HELLO--when Premiums go up 20 to 30 % --Ups will not be able to pay --Can you squeeze blood from a rock ?
4. Hard working UPS teamsters and other employees at 65 will automatically be covered by Medicare. To pay for the poor and the illegals the politicians have voted to cut the re-imbursment payment to medicare doctors by 22%. This is to save part of that 500 billion they keep bragging about.
The new law does not force doctors to take Medicare patients.
With 30 million baby boomers retiring and less doctors accepting medicare ---call them "LONG WAITING LINES" or Rationing or Death panels ---what ever you choose but you will not get care!!!
But as other people have pointed out --the working taxpayer gets screwed.
The only truth the Democrat Senators have said recently --This Bill WILL affect everyone !!
I agree with what you stated earlier --I do not care what Sarah Palin says or Nancy Pelosi ----but I can use my own common sense --there is no way in the world my health care and my family will be better by this rush to give Obama his glory !!
As even Liberal Howard Dean has said --this bill is a disgrace --only the private insurance companies will get richer ----the poor will get covered --the hard working middle class --union or not are screwed.
As pelosi has said --This is your Christmas Present !!!:angry:

island1fox

That is definitely a possibility.

My concern is the lack of cooperation between parties. I have no problem with someone being against the bill. My problem is when there isn't any alternatives offered up by those opposed. My other concern is when one or two senators (from either party) can hold the whole bill hostage until they get what they want. I don't think many are acting in the best interest of the country as a whole.

I'm totally against the idea of career politicians. I think they should all serve one 6-year term and be done. At the most be limited to two 4-year terms. There is a reason the presidency has term limits and that same reasoning should apply to congress as well.

This bill will shift some of the cost burden to those more fortunate. The matter will be which one of the fortunate (the rich or the middle class) will foot the bill. If I was a betting man......you know where my money would be.........

JUST TIRED,
There are many points in your post I can agree with. Term Limits--I am sick and tired of career politicians.
But please do not rely on our Liberal media to keep you informed -The liberal talking points that you have innocently repeated are false.
Every American -including the Repuplicans know that reform is necessary.
Here is a quick summary of what the Republican party has proposed--but has not been listened to and who have been shut out of all the behind the door deals and bribes the dems have cut:
1. The federal government will mandate that private insurance companies have to COMPETE state to state rather than only within state limits.
This will immediately through the free market lower premiums. While there are over 1300 private insurance companies --many state are now locked into one or two providers that have no incentive to lower premiums.
2. No american can be turned down for pre-existing conditions.
3. no american can be dropped by the private insurance company or have their premium raised because of serious illness.
4.Illegal aliens will not be covered .
Instead of thousand of pages of nonsense ---two to three pages we all could understand --It is sad our media hides this info from you --check it out !!!:angry:
P.S. After the Bribes were given to three Senators ----40 Senators could not block this horrible Legislation ??? Do not know where you are getting your info ????

UnconTROLLed

perfection
this crap of a bill automatically starts taxing everyone while paying nothing out until 2014.
I call this the end of the insurance companies bill.
At first the government will keep costs low to entice employers to switch from private insurance companies, once that is done the private insurance companies will lose so much business that they will be forced to close.
Leaving everyone with no option but to join the government approved plan.
Think of it as currently one goes to a private doctor's office to seek treatment, in the future be prepared to go to a warehouse , stand in line forever and have some pencil pusher determine just what the government will allow you to be treated for.
Also you can kiss goodbye all regional & community hospitals .
And according to GAO after this law takes effect millions will still be without coverage; so that raise the question: If this bill was to provide the uninsured with coverage why doesn't it ?
Because this bill was never about health care reform.
Its about power; more for the government and none for the people.
All your freedoms are none gone.
How's that for hope & change.

A bit extreme, but overalll that sounds about right.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Jones, I briefly checked out your link and you are right, that is a very comprehensive website which allows the user to sift through the rhetoric and get a better understanding of the pending legislation. I am going to bookmark the website. Dave.

jim50321

Here is a recent column by Bob Herbert at the NY Times that spells out just how disastorous this plan will be for hard hard working union members who have traded wage increases for quality health care for their families over the years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/29/opinion/29herbert.html?_r=1

I urge Teamsters to write, phone or email your Senators, congressmen and the White House and urge them to strip this funding provision. The president campaigned against this and the house version funds the reform by increasing taxes on those making over $250,000 a year, a plan consistent with Obama's pledge not to raise taxes on the middle class.

If you think this will be changed in conference without major pressure from union workers you are wrong.

Democrats simply want to pass a bill to say that reformed health care. By using this funding mechanisim they are blatantly taking union support for granted. They are wrong on that. I have already informed my Senator that I will not support him at the ballot box or or give money to any democrat in 2010 if HCR passes in its current form. I urge you all to do the same.

Last edited:

TheDick

They're still back-door dealing with the final wording($$) of the bill so i'll reserve opinions until it comes out. Health care reform is necessary weather u have a job or not. Anybody that comes here should have health care also. What good does it do to be healthy and the illegal dude next to you has something u could get by standing next to him?

klein

Für Meno :)
They're still back-door dealing with the final wording($$) of the bill so i'll reserve opinions until it comes out. Health care reform is necessary weather u have a job or not. Anybody that comes here should have health care also. What good does it do to be healthy and the illegal dude next to you has something u could get by standing next to him?

I'm not sure, how illegals will ever be able to get healthcare.
If they don't pay taxes, don't have a greencard.
How do you expect the government to ever find them, and send them a "free" medi-card ?
Doesn't happen in any other "socialized medicine" in all other countries of the world.

And no, I disagree, if they don't wanna pay taxes, and they are there illegally - then hell no - NOTHING for them !

But, some of you are so stubborn, that you think when HCR goes thru, every visitor on vacation in the states, can get free healthcare, including me, and the rest of the world ! NOPE, that won't happen.

Try visit here, and visit a doc without a provincial healthcare card.
Either show it, or pay !

TheDick

I'm not sure, how illegals will ever be able to get healthcare.
If they don't pay taxes, don't have a greencard.
How do you expect the government to ever find them, and send them a "free" medi-card ?
Doesn't happen in any other "socialized medicine" in all other countries of the world.

And no, I disagree, if they don't wanna pay taxes, and they are there illegally - then hell no - NOTHING for them !
My thinking is the H!N1 thing. Ireland for instance will cover you, a foreigner . I figure if you dont cover people then their just gonna goto the emergency room like they do now about to die suffering from something routine. Who can afford the ER at full retail anyway?

klein

Für Meno :)
My thinking is the H!N1 thing. Ireland for instance will cover you, a foreigner . I figure if you dont cover people then their just gonna goto the emergency room like they do now about to die suffering from something routine. Who can afford the ER at full retail anyway?

I knew that didn't sound right ! :

Next to the United Kingdom, Ireland is the only other place in the European Union where you can receive access to health care without having to pay in to the social security system. Unlike most other European Union countries, you do not make contributions to the social security system in exchange of access to health care services. Instead, your eligibility for health care services is decided by your residence status. To be eligible for health care services in Ireland you will have to have what is called 'ordinary residence' in Ireland. To qualify as an ordinary resident, you must be able to prove that you plan on staying in Ireland for at least a year. There are a number of ways that you can do this. You can produce an alien registration book or a residence permit or a work permit for proof of your time in Ireland. You can also show proof of a property rental or property purchase. For this, you will also have to prove that this place serves as your primary residence. You can also meet the requirement by showing a confirmation of being registered with an Irish college or university. Or you can meet the requirement by showing that you have an Irish bank account.

Just because you can meet the requirements of ordinary residence does not mean that your dependents meet the qualifications. You dependents do not automatically qualify as an extension of your meeting qualifications. Your dependents will have to prove separately that they too are ordinary residents. If you are unemployed or a student you can qualify for the public health care just by filling out the appropriate forms. If you are visiting Ireland and are from the European Economic Area (EEA) then you can get free treatment by filling out the appropriate paperwork.
(which will be billed back to that countries Healthcare System).

</U>http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/313521/an_introduction_to_the_irish_health.html?cat=5

And more :Current NHS policy The default is only to treat emergency cases and infectious disease cases (which might infect locals) for free. The rest is generally invoiced, unless there is a reciprocal care arrangement already in place, as is the case between the UK and Australia & New Zealand (and the entire EU).

Even there, without the right travel insurance, British travellers are subject to the same rules when treated in a country with a reciprocal arrangement e.g. in France, where the norm is to pay for minor treatment and then claim the costs back from your state-funded insurers, British tourists have to pay up front (for example, for skiing injuries :'( ) then claim back the costs from the NHS when they come home.

FAVREFAN

its simple, and no contract issue

your amount paid for insurance will be taxed to you as regular income. that means you will pay income, ss, state, and other taxes on what ups pays for you for insurance. they will have to kick in the part for ss, but that is about it.

so look for your take home to be smaller than what it is now, and your income bracket to be upped several notches.

and that is it in a nutshell for the union members. i would suspect that company insurance would follow suit?

d
This information is completely incorrect. Disregard this.

Number 2

So you think that UPS or Central States "absorbs" the tax on our cadillac plans? Prediction: After the tax is "absorbed" then they reopen the National Contract and renegotiate the "impact." I bet that impact is seen in our paychecks. So much for the "no tax increase on people making under $200 thousand/year..."

In political speech I guess that is not a tax increase on us though the net effect would be the same.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
This information is completely incorrect. Disregard this.
sure, wanna bet? we will let 9.5 hold the money.

klein, damn, finally find something you posted that i agree with.

but the problem is that illegals already get health care, for free. and that is one of the major issues in those states with large populations of illegals.

case in point. in north carolina there was a man that got a heart transplant. then, when they refused to give him the meds he needed for free, he sued. so now, for the rest of his life, we will be paying for all his medical needs.

to this day, he has never worked here, paid taxes, gotten a ss#, learned the language. but he can pull his quarter million of medical benefits out of our system, because the court system says he can.

so for all the bs about not covering the illegals, you cant un-ring a rung bell. they already get the benefits, and nothing in any of the bills addresses what already is a benefit.

d