New Here at Fedex

Mr. Sir

Box slinger
Hello all. new here at Fedex as a PT package handler ...pending a BC that I know is clean. Just a well known question for you all. Whether it's Handler to Driving or handler to supervisor, I would like to know how long it took you all to advance if you have. Just looking for a time frame of how much time to invest at the bottom of the totem pole. Thanks

bacha29

Hello all. new here at Fedex as a PT package handler ...pending a BC that I know is clean. Just a well known question for you all. Whether it's Handler to Driving or handler to supervisor, I would like to know how long it took you all to advance if you have. Just looking for a time frame of how much time to invest at the bottom of the totem pole. Thanks
Are you Ground or Express?

bacha29

Pretty sure it's regional hub. Fairly large
Question 1. Do you have or are currently pursuing a 4 year degree.? Question 2. Are you aware of the fact that the line haul tractors you see are not company owned .They along with the local final delivery satellite terminal trucks are not company drivers ? They are third party owner operators and contractors.

Mr. Sir

Box slinger
Yeah I'm aware they are contractors. I was more so referring to the Ground delivery trucks. I was wondering if compitition for those jobs are as big as as it is for UPS

bacha29

Yeah I'm aware they are contractors. I was more so referring to the Ground delivery trucks. I was wondering if compitition for those jobs are as big as as it is for UPS
Once you go to work for a contractor you are stepping out of the upward track for management. Contractors with a few exceptions here and there pay on a per diem basis meaning that the job pays the same whether you work 8 hours or 13 hours and very few pay benefits, health care pension.etc. Some contractors aren't bad to work for while others are terrible and of course they have the largest turnover. So the overall compensation package is about half what the average UPS driver gets. Getting in with a good contractor is the first and most important step as well as being assigned a route that can be serviced within the confines of a reasonable days toil and effort.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Ya, u not trolling, right?

If u wanna become a driver, go try the brownie side.

In my local area, I heard they're building new terminals on both team brownie and team eggplant... I may try becoming a brownie seasonal or better as soon s I procure a stick shift vehicle to practice on during the year.

But, then I have to burn my purple uniform or sell them on eBay once I make the switch

Ps, is UPS gonna allow windshield mounted GPS and have the stops integrated into their Orion mapping system anytime soon? I'm terrible at directions

bacha29

Hilarious ain't it?
Pay no mind to those aspiring comedians. Some of the things they do say are meant to be funny. But you're trying to get your bearings working in a non traditional corporate structure. They are right in the sense that if you want to be a traditional daily delivery guy then UPS is the pinnacle of that vocation. Getting in and what you have to do to ascend to a full time UPS driver is a long and arduous process. If you are young single and childless grinding your way through that process would be easier than it would be if you have a young family and a mortgage .

fdxsux

Once you go to work for a contractor you are stepping out of the upward track for management. Contractors with a few exceptions here and there pay on a per diem basis meaning that the job pays the same whether you work 8 hours or 13 hours and very few pay benefits, health care pension.etc. Some contractors aren't bad to work for while others are terrible and of course they have the largest turnover. So the overall compensation package is about half what the average UPS driver gets. Getting in with a good contractor is the first and most important step as well as being assigned a route that can be serviced within the confines of a reasonable days toil and effort.
Saying Ground driver's compensation is half of UPS driver's compensation is being awfully generous. UPS drivers make around $34/hr, have a great pension, lots of paid vacation, and the best health benefits you can find. The Ground drivers in my area make $110/ day for an average of 10 hrs or so a day, no pension, no health benefits, and very little if any vacation.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
I wasn't kidding about the 2nd part of my reply... the Garmin trip planner is making my route stress free even in the dark.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Purchasing a Ground route?

Oh hell no!.jpg