New here. saying hello

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
Hi guys, being in sales, I can't do my job without everyones hard work. I know this is a challeging time and we are always asking for sales leads, but please understand...the only way to prevent layoff is to GROW.

and some people who post here really hate their jobs...why do you still work at UPS?

thanks and i look forward to chatting with everyone.

Go Brown. Purple is a terrible color.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
thanks all. I feel welcome. good to see a place for upsers, by upsers.

if y'all want good news, I just got a committment for about $1,000,000 today from a customer - straight win from the competition.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
You're incorrect.

Most of us like our job, we just hate a lot of the idiots we have to work for.

fair enough. but it is a job. trust me, the people I work for are...well....I wont say it, but I know if I do my job, i will be successfull and UPS does a great job of promoting from within.

anyway, thanks for the welcome and good luck to everyone!

collegepreloader

Welcome! Hey I have a question for you being in sales. I have been working as a preloader for about 5 months so far, and I will be graduating in May 2009 with a bachelors in Business/Finance. I have been looking to stay with UPS after graduation, not necessarily as a driver, but something in sales, finance, or similar. Ive been looking at job openings and I have seen a few for the sales support rep. position, and it seems like a good place to start right out of college? What are some other options or paths I could choose?

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
Welcome! Hey I have a question for you being in sales. I have been working as a preloader for about 5 months so far, and I will be graduating in May 2009 with a bachelors in Business/Finance. I have been looking to stay with UPS after graduation, not necessarily as a driver, but something in sales, finance, or similar. Ive been looking at job openings and I have seen a few for the sales support rep. position, and it seems like a good place to start right out of college? What are some other options or paths I could choose?

Yes, SSR is where you will start in Business Development, as I did (well technically I was a sales rep at the time). If you feel comfortable talking to random people, you will do great. apply now for the SSR position and talk to your sup about a letter of intent.

I'm not too sure about the finance route, but it would essentially be the same thing - you see the position open, talk to your sup, and put in a letter of intent.

you make a mark, you will be promoted quickly. I was an Sales rep for about 2 months, then a key account mangaer for a year and a half, and I have been a senior account mangaer for over two years. Yeah, it sucks being in sales with declining volumes, but I love it. Nothing better than walking away with a signed contract - not just for you, but for the whole organization.

let me know if you have any questions.

drewed

Shankman

PM Minnesotazypher about the finance thing.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
so whats the latest lowdown on body fluids. do we accept blood and urine samples from labs?

that was a large part of dhl's service offering. are we going after it, or are we just going to lay down and give it away to fedex?

d

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
so whats the latest lowdown on body fluids. do we accept blood and urine samples from labs?

that was a large part of dhl's service offering. are we going after it, or are we just going to lay down and give it away to fedex?

d

I've been picking up lab pkgs from Planned Parenthood for quite sometime now. They hate FedEx, here in Stuart, and would love to ship those extra pkgs with me. They are not a scheduled p/u but I do them a favor and pick em up daily so they don't have to call for a p/u. Hope they're not shipping fetuses:sick:. I do this favor so I can get free STD screening:laughing:.....NOT!!!

Whoops, sorry salesguy, welcome to fantasy......, I mean The Brown Cafe!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

d
We have several P/U acct's that are lab samples, Danny. 1. Urologist - urine 2. Surgery center - tissue samples 3. Urgent care - urine.

diesel96

Hi guys, being in sales, I can't do my job without everyones hard work. I know this is a challeging time and we are always asking for sales leads, but please understand...the only way to prevent layoff is to GROW.

and some people who post here really hate their jobs...why do you still work at UPS?

thanks and i look forward to chatting with everyone.

Go Brown. Purple is a terrible color.

First off, welcome.....and :congrats:on your customer commitment.
Now, the reason some may reflect a hatred for their job in YOUR opinion is based from a position of an employee who at times are dealt with unmitigating circumstances piled on with unreasonable expectations. Brown Cafe is used at times as a place for some to vent, even for management and CS people, let it go. Until you have experienced yourself in a position such as a veteran Package or Feeder driver's perspective for example, you should reserve your questioning of ones will to work at UPS towards your own peers in customer service. Were all trying to make YOUR job easier, believe me. With this economy, we know whats inevitable this January......Layoffs. But, middle December might not be the best time to remind us of sales leads. We're just trying to survive peak season. :peaceful: In the meantime, keep up the good work.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
cool, thanks all.

YES! we accept biological specimins - incliuding urine, blood, tissue. AND IT IS NOT HAZMAT. All biological shipments have a marking with a diamond that sys UN3373. the diamond does not mean hazmat. The customer can even draw this number on the package and that is acceptable. These are not UPS regulations, they are the DOT.

Our lab packs are preprinted with the proper markings.

Fedex and DHL have always had an advantage in this industry, but we are going after healthcare.

keep in mind, those biological shipments contain people biopsies, blood, tissue and whatever else is needed to diagnose cancer and other health issues. No, you cannot be infected. UPS does not accept communicable disease packages like ebola.

as far as sales leads - you shouldnt have to be reminded!

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
First off, welcome.....and :congrats:on your customer commitment.
Now, the reason some may reflect a hatred for their job in YOUR opinion is based from a position of an employee who at times are dealt with unmitigating circumstances piled on with unreasonable expectations. Brown Cafe is used at times as a place for some to vent, even for management and CS people, let it go. Until you have experienced yourself in a position such as a veteran Package or Feeder driver's perspective for example, you should reserve your questioning of ones will to work at UPS towards your own peers in customer service. Were all trying to make YOUR job easier, believe me. With this economy, we know whats inevitable this January......Layoffs. But, middle December might not be the best time to remind us of sales leads. We're just trying to survive peak season. :peaceful: In the meantime, keep up the good work.

diesal, it aint all peaches in cream in management. we get laid off without explination....so don't think we sit in an ivory tower. UPS is a put up or shut up kind of company and that is what makes us successful.

my job will never be easy. Fedex is strong and relentless. Yes, the drivers and our network will be a differentiator, but Fedex does business differently and some MAJOR customers are easily persuaded by the lowest price or whatever fedex chooses to drop their pants and give a customer. (super bowl tickets, orange bowl tickets, etc). Some enjoy the seperate air and ground pickup.

and please, stop viewing sales as customer service, our job is to fill the trucks - other people deal with service failures. I can't win business if I am helping a customer fill out a damage claim.