New here. saying hello

DownsizedUPS'er

missing my UPS family
so whats the latest lowdown on body fluids. do we accept blood and urine samples from labs?

that was a large part of dhl's service offering. are we going after it, or are we just going to lay down and give it away to fedex?

d

Danny- when i was in the PCA dept, we had a mega account. they were a kidney dialasis (sp) place. we picked up blood from the daily. the vial of blood was packed in an inner box with little air bags for cushining. that was placed in a plastic bag, wish was placed in a box with more air bags for cushining. best way to protect for breakage or leakage.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
Danny- when i was in the PCA dept, we had a mega account. they were a kidney dialasis (sp) place. we picked up blood from the daily. the vial of blood was packed in an inner box with little air bags for cushining. that was placed in a plastic bag, wish was placed in a box with more air bags for cushining. best way to protect for breakage or leakage.

all biological specimins have to have three layers of protections - one is the vile it is in, two is the box it is in, the third is either a lab pack or an over pack box.

The labs we are looking for are usually big inbound account for fedex, so look around at your deliveries.

DownsizedUPS'er

missing my UPS family
and please, stop viewing sales as customer service, our job is to fill the trucks - other people deal with service failures. I can't win business if I am helping a customer fill out a damage claim.

you speak about c/s as if it were a nothing position. i will tell you that when i started w/UPS i was in the CSTC, (but it was ups'ers then) it is outsourced now. but i worked in many different positions including some in operations. this is not a spitting contest about whose job is more difficult or worse or fill in the blank.

Customer Service, PCA, and other admin positions have been outsourced to outside agencies. these people do not work for ups. they don't care who they sound or what they say to a customer.

after i was downsized (after 18 years) and i was in a new job, i became the "UPS girl" because of my experience. well, i called the 800# for PCA and asked the phone rep to do something. their response was, "we can't do that. My computer won't let me access that" i responded with "sure you can, hold the control key down and press F4, the toggle........ so here i am, an outsourced PCA UPS employee, telling the agency person who is hired to "do what i did" and i am telling them how to do my job. i was also told by a CSTC (also outsourced) that we (note i still say we) no longer do OT/PU's. that i had to go to a Customer Counter (did that job too) or to a UPS store. all of this info of course is wrong. and that is b/c UPS has entrusted cust. svc. to non ups people. and the pca group, our mega, largest, national accounts, (where i was when i was outsourced) i maintained over 250 of our national mega accts. handled everything from problem resolution, reducing churn. making sure they were happy with our service. and fixing anything with the pkg once it leaves the drivers hands and enters the system. this is not cush job. btw, PCA was part of BD. no, i am not out in the hot, the cold, the rain, the snow breaking my back. but i am working just as hard for the same company. (i digress, sorry) but even PCA is now run by non-ups people, which is why people in operations our experiencing such problems with upset customers. the outsource agencies don’t have a clue and don’t care.

so, upssaleguy, please don't belittle C/S or PCA as if it were nothing. we (everyone) are all part of a chain, and that chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

A sales person who thanks people for hard work instead of saying "hey,we need more sales leads!" ? This guys a troll. Ha! Almost fooled us.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
[/font][/color]

you speak about c/s as if it were a nothing position. i will tell you that when i started w/UPS i was in the CSTC, (but it was ups'ers then) it is outsourced now. but i worked in many different positions including some in operations. this is not a spitting contest about whose job is more difficult or worse or fill in the blank.

Customer Service, PCA, and other admin positions have been outsourced to outside agencies. these people do not work for ups. they don't care who they sound or what they say to a customer.

after i was downsized (after 18 years) and i was in a new job, i became the "UPS girl" because of my experience. well, i called the 800# for PCA and asked the phone rep to do something. their response was, "we can't do that. My computer won't let me access that" i responded with "sure you can, hold the control key down and press F4, the toggle........ so here i am, an outsourced PCA UPS employee, telling the agency person who is hired to "do what i did" and i am telling them how to do my job. i was also told by a CSTC (also outsourced) that we (note i still say we) no longer do OT/PU's. that i had to go to a Customer Counter (did that job too) or to a UPS store. all of this info of course is wrong. and that is b/c UPS has entrusted cust. svc. to non ups people. and the pca group, our mega, largest, national accounts, (where i was when i was outsourced) i maintained over 250 of our national mega accts. handled everything from problem resolution, reducing churn. making sure they were happy with our service. and fixing anything with the pkg once it leaves the drivers hands and enters the system. this is not cush job. btw, PCA was part of BD. no, i am not out in the hot, the cold, the rain, the snow breaking my back. but i am working just as hard for the same company. (i digress, sorry) but even PCA is now run by non-ups people, which is why people in operations our experiencing such problems with upset customers. the outsource agencies don’t have a clue and don’t care.

so, upssaleguy, please don't belittle C/S or PCA as if it were nothing. we (everyone) are all part of a chain, and that chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

I am not the one you need to pick your fight with. You have filled your entire post with mis-information and hate because you are not a PCA anymore.

Every account that is assigned to a Account Manager has access to the PCA team. That mean MORE of our accounts get personalized service. ALL PCA's are UPSers. the 1800pickups folks ARE outsourced and they are worthless.

ALL national accounts have access to the strategic account support team, including a national accounts manager and their admin, who handles daily interactions with those customers.

additionally, we promote our PCA's to Field Support who are trained to deal with irate customers and fix issues.

The problem is you say customer service - we are now business development and i bet you have no idea what we do all day. Unfortunantly, it is about 75% sales 25% problem resolution. I can't imagine how great it would be to be 100% sales, but that would never happen.

if you go back and read this thread, you will see i did not belittle anyone and thanked everyone for the hard work.

and i am out in the hot, cold, rain snow EVERYDAY - i just have to wear a suit. Have you ever had to answer a customer face to face about why we lost a package or why we missed a pickup 4 days in a row? Sure, I am not humping boxes, but I have performance standards like everyone else. The difference in mine is if i dont hit my numbers, I dont get paid - so back off. This was a crappy year for the economy and I took a HUGE pay cut - and no, that wasnt a pay cut off $100,000 I'm actually not sure where you would construe that I said I work any harder than anyone else at this company.

The UPS store transition brough more business to this company that you will ever know and created untold amounts of jobs and opporunities for those franchise owners and our customers to use UPS.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
A sales person who thanks people for hard work instead of saying "hey,we need more sales leads!" ? This guys a troll. Ha! Almost fooled us.

:surprised:

sorry, some of us have larger aspirations at this company then asking for sales leads all day. I strive to be a good manager as well as a great salesperson.

You need to understand why we ask for sales leads....

it is becasue fedex is asking for sales leads. I dont want them to find that huge account just because someone was too lazy to ask them to have a UPS person contact them. Are you asked to do more than that? If so, that is wrong. If FedEx finds a million dollar account and FedEx adds a non-union driver to take all that work, who ends up losing? UPS and the teamsters.

The last few months have been heavy on the sales leads solicitations - I understand that, but it is becasue we had one of competitors go out of business. That is a once in a generation thing and probably will never happen again. You know what management was doing while you all were asking for leads? We were cold calling, standing outside of DHL drop boxes and making phone calls to all customers who ever told us they ship with DHL.

I hate fedex and want us to grow 20% year over year...AGAIN...we can't do that unless we are all a team.

:surprised:

sorry, some of us have larger aspirations at this company then asking for sales leads all day. I strive to be a good manager as well as a great salesperson.

You need to understand why we ask for sales leads....

it is becasue fedex is asking for sales leads. I dont want them to find that huge account just because someone was too lazy to ask them to have a UPS person contact them. Are you asked to do more than that? If so, that is wrong. If FedEx finds a million dollar account and FedEx adds a non-union driver to take all that work, who ends up losing? UPS and the teamsters.

The last few months have been heavy on the sales leads solicitations - I understand that, but it is becasue we had one of competitors go out of business. That is a once in a generation thing and probably will never happen again. You know what management was doing while you all were asking for leads? We were cold calling, standing outside of DHL drop boxes and making phone calls to all customers who ever told us they ship with DHL.

I hate fedex and want us to grow 20% year over year...AGAIN...we can't do that unless we are all a team.

It`s called humor,a joke,jest.:happy2:

DownsizedUPS'er

missing my UPS family
I am not the one you need to pick your fight with. You have filled your entire post with mis-information and hate because you are not a PCA anymore.

Every account that is assigned to a Account Manager has access to the PCA team. That mean MORE of our accounts get personalized service. ALL PCA's are UPSers. the 1800pickups folks ARE outsourced and they are worthless.

ALL national accounts have access to the strategic account support team, including a national accounts manager and their admin, who handles daily interactions with those customers.

additionally, we promote our PCA's to Field Support who are trained to deal with irate customers and fix issues.

The problem is you say customer service - we are now business development and i bet you have no idea what we do all day. Unfortunantly, it is about 75% sales 25% problem resolution. I can't imagine how great it would be to be 100% sales, but that would never happen.

if you go back and read this thread, you will see i did not belittle anyone and thanked everyone for the hard work.

and i am out in the hot, cold, rain snow EVERYDAY - i just have to wear a suit. Have you ever had to answer a customer face to face about why we lost a package or why we missed a pickup 4 days in a row? Sure, I am not humping boxes, but I have performance standards like everyone else. The difference in mine is if i dont hit my numbers, I dont get paid - so back off. This was a crappy year for the economy and I took a HUGE pay cut - and no, that wasnt a pay cut off $100,000 I'm actually not sure where you would construe that I said I work any harder than anyone else at this company.

The UPS store transition brough more business to this company that you will ever know and created untold amounts of jobs and opporunities for those franchise owners and our customers to use UPS.

ha, you make me laugh. i have no hatred toward UPS. i gained much there, and grew up there since i was a teen ager when i started working there. but, i know of what i speak. PCA is outsourced. PCA was part of BD. and i was not picking a fight with you, i was simply stating that you should not knock one level of employee as less then you. we are all part of the same company.

As for answering the customer face to face, again, you know not of what you speak. I was on plenty of A/E rides. Plenty. And does it make you better then me that I didntdoiteveryday,hell no. nothing of what i said is untrue. if you call the 800 # desginated for PCA you will learn that it is an outsource agency, NOT ups.

there is no more PCA. at least in my dist, i was in that dept for over 5 years (total of 18 w/the company) my entire dept is gone. get a clue. And anyone that does not have a 4 year degree would not become a Field Service Rep.

Last edited:

BrownSuit

Sorry to disappoint but downsized is right, there are PCA Teams at Vendor Sites that are non-UPSers.

Generally speaking from my understanding if you perform well at a Vendor site, you are promted to a PCA Status/Group. But you are still an outside employee.

International Customer Service is also outsourced. The only International UPSers are at the ODS/Billing sites, in KC, and in Louisville.

Also, if you re-read Downsized's post a little bit more you'll realize that she was around back in the days when you call the 800 number, you got somebody there in the district office who often was not only a lot more responsive, they were local and could do something when the pickups were missed or the packages were damaged.

I'm curious salesguy, what District or at least Region are you in?

DownsizedUPS'er

missing my UPS family
Sorry to disappoint but downsized is right, there are PCA Teams at Vendor Sites that are non-UPSers.

Generally speaking from my understanding if you perform well at a Vendor site, you are promted to a PCA Status/Group. But you are still an outside employee.

International Customer Service is also outsourced. The only International UPSers are at the ODS/Billing sites, in KC, and in Louisville.

Also, if you re-read Downsized's post a little bit more you'll realize that she was around back in the days when you call the 800 number, you got somebody there in the district office who often was not only a lot more responsive, they were local and could do something when the pickups were missed or the packages were damaged.

I'm curious salesguy, what District or at least Region are you in?

thank you Brown, i appreciate the support. i have been away from UPS for 4 years now. and, you took the words out of my mouth asking salws guy about his region/dist. i am very curious about that. thanks again for the back up.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
i'll keep region and district to myself for right now. I can tell you, I do not appreciate how my department (sales) is run and we are near the bottom of most scorecard elements. Overall, we are tops in service., though, so no complaining about that from me.

folks, i understand the difference, but as we are told, they are not outsourced. The PCA in the districts were outsourced to three locations nationwide, but the call centers all get paid by UPS. Additionally we have an inside sales group that make calls that are also all UPS. My manager toured both PCA sites when they were going live for everyone nationwide.

Newport News, VA is still where 1-800pickups calls go and it is not run by upsers, but they are well trained. those folks also do claims, etc. I've actually been to that location.

either way, i'll try to get clarification.

I know what you PCA's did, the ones still in our office doing other jobs are still the only people that can do 90% of what needs to be done. The problem is they are all retiring soon, which is a big issue in my book. They butter my bread and get nice presents from me around the holidays.

Thanks for all the work you have done, I'm not trying to be a jerk. Cheers.

DownsizedUPS'er

missing my UPS family
i'll keep region and district to myself for right now. I can tell you, I do not appreciate how my department (sales) is run and we are near the bottom of most scorecard elements. Overall, we are tops in service., though, so no complaining about that from me.

folks, i understand the difference, but as we are told, they are not outsourced. The PCA in the districts were outsourced to three locations nationwide, but the call centers all get paid by UPS. Additionally we have an inside sales group that make calls that are also all UPS. My manager toured both PCA sites when they were going live for everyone nationwide.

Newport News, VA is still where 1-800pickups calls go and it is not run by upsers, but they are well trained. those folks also do claims, etc. I've actually been to that location.

I know what you PCA's did, the ones still in our office doing other jobs are still the only people that can do 90% of what needs to be done. The problem is they are all retiring soon, which is a big issue in my book. They butter my bread and get nice presents from me around the holidays.

Hi Salesguy, i understand you are not trying to be a jerk, and no one said you were. but, let me explain things about the call sites. our 800#'s roll to various sites, VA, AZ, FL (Orlando) and another one that i cannot remember right now. then there are dedicated 800#'s for PCA accounts, these are not UPSers. it would not make sense to outsource a job that is local and where customers and PCAs are familure w/each other, to some out of state place, to pay the same money for the same job. there is no benifit to the customer, not UPS. While the call site may say the work for the company, they don't. UPS pays the outsource agency, which in turns pays them. UPS no longer has to pay benifits, unemployment, and the various other costs associated w/each employee. plus supplies each employee uses, chairs, desks, pads, papers, ect. rent on buildings. all these things UPS no longer pays because it is outsourced. this is the reason they do/did the downsizing.

BrownSuit

I'm curious as you said yourself that the role of sales is not to service, which your area is tops in. Is the role of sales not to produce revenue and volume? What other elements are out there?

There are a number of sites throughout the country run by UPS and by 3 different vendors (that I'm aware of) that handle various aspects of Customer Contact.

The majority of sites in the country are vendor run. Feel free to PM me if you want more confirmation, there is a lot that would not be appropriate to share here.

But rest assured, that there are PCA's at Vendor Sites. Yes, there are still a few PCA UPSers, but I would guess just like everything else, the majority is at vendor sites.

You mentioned that your sales manager had toured two out of at least three of the "PCA" sites. What of the third?

Also, you mentioned the Inside Sales Group, if I'm not mistaken, at least one of their facilities shares the same building as a vendor with a PCA team at that site.

As I said, PM me and I'll surprise you :funny: