New here - venting about Ground

STFXG

Grabbed my contract.

Drivers will be disqualified for...

Life for falsifying any DOT-related safety document.

36 months for six or more violations of hours of service in a 12 month period

The other rules effect the contractor.

MAKAVELI

Grabbed my contract.

Drivers will be disqualified for...

Life for falsifying any DOT-related safety document.

36 months for six or more violations of hours of service in a 12 month period

The other rules effect the contractor.
And why do you suppose this is in your contract? Because the carrier is held responsible for dot violations not just the driver.

bbsam

Staff member
And why do you suppose this is in your contract? Because the carrier is held responsible for dot violations not just the driver.

Not necessarily. Could very well be that disqualification of the driver from service is the penalty paid by the company.

STFXG

We lease our vehicle to them and operate under their DOT number... Of course they are held responsible. The problem with the OP is that when he is not operating under FedEx's authority he is still operating for his employer. And his employer also needs to be tracking his hours of service (for him) or he will directly be held responsible for the violations by the DOT. That's how I understand it anyways, kind of a gray area...

bbsam

Staff member
I have never heard of Fedex being fined for hours of service violations. Could happen I imagine.

MAKAVELI

We lease our vehicle to them and operate under their DOT number... Of course they are held responsible. The problem with the OP is that when he is not operating under FedEx's authority he is still operating for his employer. And his employer also needs to be tracking his hours of service (for him) or he will directly be held responsible for the violations by the DOT. That's how I understand it anyways, kind of a gray area...
All parties involved will be held responsible either directly or indirectly. I can see if it happened once in a blue moon due to uncontrollable circumstances. But from the OP's description both FedEx and the contractor are aware of these controllable incidents and with other drivers. This is where the shi t could hit the fan with the DOT.

MAKAVELI

I have never heard of Fedex being fined for hours of service violations. Could happen I imagine.
Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean they have not been fined. What do you think one of the reasons Ground has a poor fmcsa score ?

Last edited:

STFXG

I haven't either. But the FMCSA can fine them from 1000-11000 per violation or fine the drivers the same rate. State or local authorities can levy fines as well. They can also lower the carrier's safety rating :).

Federal criminal penalties can be brought against carriers who knowingly and willfully allow or require HOS violations, or drivers who knowingly and willfully violate the HOS regulations.

But I've also never heard of it happening...

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
All parties involved will be held responsible either directly or indirectly. I can see if it happened once in a blue moon due to uncontrollable circumstances. But from the OP's description both FedEx and the contractor are aware of these controllable incidents and with other drivers. This is where the shi t could hit the fan with the DOT.

Wait until Ground has a catastrophic "perfect storm" accident, as in over DOT hours, serious injuries or worse, and vehicle deficiencies. Their already low FMCSA score will trigger the enforcement watchdogs. If Ground drivers start ratting-out bad contractors, this could also create a tipping point situation. You see, Fred cannot buy his way out of FMCSA with the politicians. He would if he could.

Nick9075

I don't know how much of this is really true. If this were the case at least at my terminal in the NYC area, the contractor would have gotten his contract terminated long ago especially if a route is using a rented 'uhaul' for weeks on end as well as those other shady practices.. The senior manager can terminate the contract of any ground or HD contractor with only 30 days of notice which would most likely happen with "several dozen' (meaning more than 12?!!) DNA's and I assume other mistakes with scans.

bbsam

Staff member
The Senior Manager would love to have people believe he has that power. No Managing Director would ever see that happen.

Nick9075

Who is this managing director? is it someone who works in a corp office in the region or headquarters?? the senior manager & P/D manager both have tremendous power over the contractors. If you are not on their good side you better think of selling.

I can think of at least 5 instances contracts being terminated and there is alot of favoritism, nepotism and stuff on who the routes are given to.. Ex. one of my drivers got his own route in a very busy zip code of Manhattan and paid next to nothing, he will be making at least $2,000 a week net because he will be driving his own truck and using one helper

bbsam

Staff member
The Managing Director manages the region. He's the guy who with his staff audit the stations paperwork, plans peak strategy, and answers to Pittsburgh. Any contract termination has to go through him/her and legal as well.

bbsam

Staff member
How many contractors in your building? Were the contracts terminated or were they threatened and sold quickly? I understand if they did, but in those cases, the Managing Director would not have even seen termination work. Sounds to me like a Senior Manger has a building convinced that he is far more than he really is.

Epoisode7

Nick from NY, I wish I could say I was joking, but I'm not. Yes we routinely drive Uhauls. I just finished driving a 14footer for 3 weeks while my van had the entire rear end rebuilt. I named him Fred, in honor of the esteemed czar of cheap and unsafe package delivery. I was sad to see Fred go, because he actually ran and had a working radio and air conditioning. And Fred's rear door didn't smack me in the shins every time I opened it. We have 3 drivers and 3 vans, all with over 250k miles. No spare vans, no spare parts. All of the above shady practices do indeed happen. In fact, those are just the ones falling into the gray area. There are a few worse things I did not mention that have no bearing on my story, things that get people fired even at a place like FDXground. I'll admit, my terminal is small, very remote, and has little oversight... so it's probably as bad as terminals get.

I am lucky and I think have found some other lucrative employment. I hope FedEx Ground gets examined by the DOT the way the IRS is getting examined by the House. I hope Fred S gets his throne relinquished along with all of his lackeys. I then hope UPS and Express come in and split Ground right down the middle and each take half. I then hope to see all of the good Ground drivers offered a spot making a wage high enough to support a family with food not consisting of boloney and ramen noodles. The icing on the cake would be to scrape all the green vinyl lettering off of all the vans, gather all the pee bottles from all of the vans, along with the thousands of vision stickers that accumulate in the back of each truck, and melt them all into a giant green, vomit colored bow to send to Fred at his tennessee mansion.

Express ain't perfect, along with UPS I'm sure.... but I am a physics major in college and I can definitely say that in the world of math...
a job providing a living wage, benefits, and some time off here and there > (is greater than) the current Ground model. Peace!

thedownhillEXPRESS

Nick from NY, I wish I could say I was joking, but I'm not. Yes we routinely drive Uhauls. I just finished driving a 14footer for 3 weeks while my van had the entire rear end rebuilt. I named him Fred, in honor of the esteemed czar of cheap and unsafe package delivery. I was sad to see Fred go, because he actually ran and had a working radio and air conditioning. And Fred's rear door didn't smack me in the shins every time I opened it. We have 3 drivers and 3 vans, all with over 250k miles. No spare vans, no spare parts. All of the above shady practices do indeed happen. In fact, those are just the ones falling into the gray area. There are a few worse things I did not mention that have no bearing on my story, things that get people fired even at a place like FDXground. I'll admit, my terminal is small, very remote, and has little oversight... so it's probably as bad as terminals get.

I am lucky and I think have found some other lucrative employment. I hope FedEx Ground gets examined by the DOT the way the IRS is getting examined by the House. I hope Fred S gets his throne relinquished along with all of his lackeys. I then hope UPS and Express come in and split Ground right down the middle and each take half. I then hope to see all of the good Ground drivers offered a spot making a wage high enough to support a family with food not consisting of boloney and ramen noodles. The icing on the cake would be to scrape all the green vinyl lettering off of all the vans, gather all the pee bottles from all of the vans, along with the thousands of vision stickers that accumulate in the back of each truck, and melt them all into a giant green, vomit colored bow to send to Fred at his tennessee mansion.

Express ain't perfect, along with UPS I'm sure.... but I am a physics major in college and I can definitely say that in the world of math...
a job providing a living wage, benefits, and some time off here and there > (is greater than) the current Ground model. Peace!

That's one of the best anti Ground rants I've seen.

Bravo!!