New hire and already planned holiday

LuckyDucky

My husband passed the second test to be a PE Mechanic. he goes on Monday for paperwork and starts asap. We have a two week planned holiday mid August. It is paid for, non refundable tickets to England. But if the powers that be say John can't go then we'll just have to walk away from the tickets and the trip. What do you guys think? Do you think they'll let him go or say we need you here, if you want to take that holiday you cant have the job.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Are you from Canada by chance? The only reason I ask is that Canadians use the term "holiday" rather than "vacation".

To answer your question-----your husband will not have two weeks of holiday time built up by mid August so you should look at your alternatives.

Are the tickets transferable? If so, is there a family member or close family friend who would be able to go on the trip with you? If not, you may want to look in to selling the tickets to try to recoup some of your losses.

LuckyDucky

My husband is going to ask them, management, if they will let him go on the trip. He could start work when he gets back, which would be the firt week in September, or start now, go for the trip, and then come back. It wouldnt be a time off scenario, he doesnt want to be paid. He just wants to star work when he returns.

It seems so petty to not let him take the holiday since its four weeks away. They have had a hell of a time filling the mechanic position, they said as much. If they wont let him take the trip I"m well aware of all the options in terms of dealing with the tickets. Its going to be a real blow though, my five year olds only relatives are in England. My husband is English.

We'll see what happens. I'm betting they'll let him go. The worst part is that he has to explain it and ask. He wont enjoy that.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He's 53, just starting out at UPS and you relocated for the job?

As for the vacation, the right time to mention it would be while he is filling out the paperwork on Monday. Don't be surprised if they are not receptive to the idea of your husband taking two weeks off (unpaid) less than a month after starting the job, especially if the position has been vacant for some time.

LuckyDucky

No we didn't relocate for the job at all. Relocated to be closer to family. We/he just answered an online ad and he went in for the interviews/test.

I wont be surprised if they say no. I'll be sad.

Did he hit the jackpot getting the job? Do you think? Or is it not such a big deal. He was working via the Millwright Union for a bit, paid extraordinarily well but was off and on and involved travel, not to mention six weeks, 12 hour days with no days off, is harder when you're not in your twenties.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
My husband passed the second test to be a PE Mechanic. he goes on Monday for paperwork and starts asap. We have a two week planned holiday mid August. It is paid for, non refundable tickets to England. But if the powers that be say John can't go then we'll just have to walk away from the tickets and the trip. What do you guys think? Do you think they'll let him go or say we need you here, if you want to take that holiday you cant have the job.
How about going with the old boyfriend? No sense everybody not going?

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I'll give you $500. Take it or leave it.

LuckyDucky

For your paid non refundable vacation

OK right. sorry.
When he went to talk to the woman who handles the processing, she asked him when he could start. Of course he flat out forgot and said he could start asap. But the paperwork hasn't been processed, he goes back tomorrow. He's hoping its as easy as saying, you know I forgot about that holiday,I'd like to start sept 5. He's also not coming on as union, as he's being hired as a temporary. But I dont know if that makes any difference.

LuckyDucky

How about going with the old boyfriend? No sense everybody not going?
yah know, if I could drive on the other side of the road with the wheel on the other side of the car it might make more sense for just me and our five year old to go on our own. Or even take a friend, if it comes to that which I am so hoping it doesnt. But not being able to drive would be a huge pain in the butt.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
yah know, if I could drive on the other side of the road with the wheel on the other side of the car it might make more sense for just me and our five year old to go on our own. Or even take a friend, if it comes to that which I am so hoping it doesnt. But not being able to drive would be a huge pain in the butt.
Leave the kid home. You want to have fun.

LuckyDucky

What it comes down to, does he want the job, or to go on a trip?
Well, it hasnt come down to that yet. He'd be gong on temporary to permanent, so its non union to start. They said he had six or seven months to pass the electrical where he's weak, hes very strong on mechanical. This is for a PE Maintenance Mechanic job. They are having a hard time finding qualified people, maybe they will cut him some slack, maybe they wont.