New hire and already planned holiday

SmithBarney

Well it does'n't hurt to try, you may want to mention it's a family reunion and you didn't expect UPS to hire so quickly.. I was able to go to my reunion several weeks after getting hired...
Otherwise I'd say, don't lose all the money, take the trip without hubby.. and have a nice time, he'll understand, plus he's English so chances are he's seen the place before.. ;)

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
I'd like them to allow him a later start date, yes. Many people cant start immediately, its not unusual. And it might be the case, and it might not be the case, that they are willing to cut him the slack. If its possible it would be better for all concerned to have a happy new employee.

You should be made aware right up front that ups does not care if their production units (employees) are happy.

Gear

Parts on Order
I'm not trying to argue driving is equal to plant engineering. However to say it's unskilled is an ignorant statement.

Im not trying to be a :censored2: about this, skilled positions arent filled by seniority. We all make about the same hourly rate, so we're all the same. If a PE mech, Feeder driver or Auto mech gets fired tomorrow, their skill set will find them another job or they could even start their own business.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Im not trying to be a :censored2: about this, skilled positions arent filled by seniority. We all make about the same hourly rate, so we're all the same. If a PE mech, Feeder driver or Auto mech gets fired tomorrow, their skill set will find them another job or they could even start their own business.
Feeders are filled by seniority though.

LuckyDucky

Well it was worry over nothing. John told them that he had the holiday planned and that he could either start work when he returned or start and then leave for the holiday. They said they really needed him asap, so he starts as soon as his background check is finished, they said the coming monday. There wasn't even any discussion about whether he could go on the holiday.

Apparently no one is passing the first written test, so they never even get to the interviewing process. Thats why they had him in the next day after passing the test, and did the hands on test/interview and offered him the job right off. If someone doesnt pass the test they can't move forward, they have no leeway. John passed the test, but not by much. He likely missed all the electrical stuff. Its a bear of a test.

He will be a temporary for 120 days and then they will assess his improvement on electrical. He was told to study three phase motor control theory.

We'll leave for the holiday and then restart work when he returns. So YAY! Employed at a great company and we are going on holiday and can enjoy ourselves knowing we dont have to look for a job anymore! Thank you everyone for chiming in.

LuckyDucky

Well it does'n't hurt to try, you may want to mention it's a family reunion and you didn't expect UPS to hire so quickly.. I was able to go to my reunion several weeks after getting hired...
Otherwise I'd say, don't lose all the money, take the trip without hubby.. and have a nice time, he'll understand, plus he's English so chances are he's seen the place before.. ;)
We

LuckyDucky

We were lucky. The holiday posed no problem at all and no one even mentioned his not going. They are in need of PE mechanics so he starts Monday and will leave for holiday and then restart on return.

Gear

Parts on Order
Well it was worry over nothing. John told them that he had the holiday planned and that he could either start work when he returned or start and then leave for the holiday. They said they really needed him asap, so he starts as soon as his background check is finished, they said the coming monday. There wasn't even any discussion about whether he could go on the holiday.

Apparently no one is passing the first written test, so they never even get to the interviewing process. Thats why they had him in the next day after passing the test, and did the hands on test/interview and offered him the job right off. If someone doesnt pass the test they can't move forward, they have no leeway. John passed the test, but not by much. He likely missed all the electrical stuff. Its a bear of a test.

He will be a temporary for 120 days and then they will assess his improvement on electrical. He was told to study three phase motor control theory.

We'll leave for the holiday and then restart work when he returns. So YAY! Employed at a great company and we are going on holiday and can enjoy ourselves knowing we dont have to look for a job anymore! Thank you everyone for chiming in.

He's in, its that simple. Temporary is just normal probation. He'll come in, do his job and go home. Ive never seen any IAM guys get fired during probation. He's good to go.