New hire and already planned holiday

Gear

Parts on Order
Get over yourself. A lot of the dumbest guys I grew up with went on to be mechanics. Just try to keep the package cars from leaking in the rain please.

Ya bro, its me. I remember someone posting that a PC driver is the same as a UPS pilot. I wouldnt consider my mechanical skills the same as a aircraft mechanic, he would be a step above me.

Im a mechanic, I work on the mechanical and electrical parts of vehicles. Examples, engines, transmissions, rear carriers, drivelines and supporting electronic equipment. The leaks in a package car are in the body, which is a skill set a bodyman would have. I am not a bodyman. Your bodyman skills and mine are probably the same, maybe a rating of 0. See how there are different skills. There is a world outside of UPS, check it out sometime.

Gear

Parts on Order
UPS doesn't do a training class for Mechanics, PE, PC or Feeders. They do have classroom time for those going into driving for PC or Feeders though. All have skill involved, but the difference is does UPS expect it or train it. Also Feeders requires an extra certification on the drivers license that gives the person more opportunity outside of UPS aside from the standard drivers license a PC driver needs.

We're not talking about inside skilled positions that only involve taking a test and getting an extra $1/hr, these are skills that are useful outside of UPS to a large degree. While being a damn good driver is great, other companies find the skills of a Plant Engineer, a Feeder driver with a cdl or a mechanic who can work on fleet vehicles that includes tractor trailers more desirable.

Exactly.

Re-Raise

Ya bro, its me. I remember someone posting that a PC driver is the same as a UPS pilot. I wouldnt consider my mechanical skills the same as a aircraft mechanic, he would be a step above me.
What? Are you implying I said that?

I am very confident in my ability to have followed a number of different paths. I never had the opportunity to try to be a pilot. My brother married a girl from Louisville who's father was an engineer at Worldport. He took us around and we got to see the cockpits on some planes. My daughter is currently dating a pilot at Compass.

I never had any desire to be a mechanic.

Last edited:

Re-Raise

I dont think you can be dumb and do the electric stuff.

Trip is August 16 til Sept 2. I am in denial about how soon that is.
I never intended that to be directed toward your husband. It was a reply to Gear on how skilled and irreplaceable he feels he is. Have fun on your trip and I hope your husband enjoys his new job.

Gear

Parts on Order
I never intended that to be directed toward your husband. It was a reply to Gear on how skilled and irreplaceable he feels he is. Have fun on your trip and I hope your husband enjoys his new job.

What are you talking about? Im far from irreplaceable. Nobody is standing inline to take my job, but my job could be contracted out. You are just one of those self absorbed kool aid drinking employees who are never wrong. I enjoy arguing with people like you. You get butt hurt when people dont stroke your ego.

"What about me bub"

Re-Raise

What are you talking about? Im far from irreplaceable. Nobody is standing inline to take my job, but my job could be contracted out. You are just one of those self absorbed kool aid drinking employees who are never wrong. I enjoy arguing with people like you. You get butt hurt when people dont stroke your ego.

"What about me bub"
You confuse me. What am I wrong about?

You said the new guy would hard to replace because unlike unskilled drivers he is a skilled mechanic.

We have had about 6 different mechanics come and go through our small center since I have been there. A lot of people can turn a bolt "bub".

I kind of feel like being a jerk to our new mechanic now because of you....

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Im a mechanic, I work on the mechanical and electrical parts of vehicles. Examples, engines, transmissions, rear carriers, drivelines and supporting electronic equipment. The leaks in a package car are in the body, which is a skill set a bodyman would have. I am not a bodyman. Your bodyman skills and mine are probably the same, maybe a rating of 0. See how there are different skills. There is a world outside of UPS, check it out sometime.
We call'em "grease monkeys" around here

LuckyDucky

I didn't think you were making a jab at anyone. And John was weak on the electrical, thats why he's coming on as temporary, has four months to improve his electric skills. I just find the three phase motor theory, which is what you need to know, really difficult.

LuckyDucky

You said the new guy would hard to replace because unlike unskilled drivers he is a skilled mechanic.

We have had about 6 different mechanics come and go through our small center since I have been there. A lot of people can turn a bolt "bub".

I dont feel like any of this is directed to me/John. My husband began his apprenticeship in England as a mines mechanic at age 16 working down the pit. He's lived a life totally foreign to me, people in my family worked at universities and can't screw in lightbulbs. And he's had jobs where the entire day he worked outside, in climates that can get near freezing. His work ethic blows my mind. His mechanical skills blow everyone away, even the UPS managers who gave him the hands on test. BUT we all know that everyone is replaceable. Even the president has a vice president. There is always someone faster, stronger, and better than you are.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
How about going with the old boyfriend? No sense everybody not going?
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Gear

Parts on Order

You are confused. This guy is a PE mechanic which is different then a auto mechanic.

The reason you have seen 6 mechanics go through your small shop is because they can quit and find another job, we are not trapped. Alot of mechs have had several jobs, they get mad one day and bail. The skill they had before UPS stays with them and is useful outside of UPS. I wouldnt expect someone who spent their entire life at UPS in one building to understand.

We are both being rude to the new member. I just continued the rudeness by posting this reply.

Re-Raise

You are confused. This guy is a PE mechanic which is different then a auto mechanic.

The reason you have seen 6 mechanics go through your small shop is because they can quit and find another job, we are not trapped. Alot of mechs have had several jobs, they get mad one day and bail. The skill they had before UPS stays with them and is useful outside of UPS. I wouldnt expect someone who spent their entire life at UPS in one building to understand.

We are both being rude to the new member. I just continued the rudeness by posting this reply.
I should get mad and bail more often I guess