new hire friend/t feeder driver orientation questions

I have just been hired for friend/t feeder driver (off the street) I feel very fortunate to have this opportunity. I know how rare it is.
I go to Pittsburgh next week for oriantation/driving school. I have searched and can't find a clear answer for what this is.
I want to be prepared the best I can.
So, what can I expect? Is it driver training? Tests? Paperwork?
All the above? I would appreciate any advice or tips!
I'm coming over from Roadway(YRC) and want to do my best to take advantage of this rare opportunity

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I have just been hired for friend/t feeder driver (off the street) I feel very fortunate to have this opportunity. I know how rare it is.
I go to Pittsburgh next week for oriantation/driving school. I have searched and can't find a clear answer for what this is.
I want to be prepared the best I can.
So, what can I expect? Is it driver training? Tests? Paperwork?
All the above? I would appreciate any advice or tips!
I'm coming over from Roadway(YRC) and want to do my best to take advantage of this rare opportunity
You already know how to drive a tractor so you should be good as far as that goes assuming you can back a trailer on to a door and put a set of doubles together. They'll teach you how to do everything the UPS way with a big emphasis on safety. Show up on time and do what they tell you and you'll be fine. Congratulations and good luck.

Worked for Roadway(YRC) for 14 years. Linehaul driver. NYC, NJ, most of northeast. Call board 7 days a week. 6 tripS to get 2 days off. Quit yesterday.

You already know how to drive a tractor so you should be good as far as that goes assuming you can back a trailer on to a door and put a set of doubles together. They'll teach you how to do everything the UPS way with a big emphasis on safety. Show up on time and do what they tell you and you'll be fine. Congratulations and good luck.
No problem with that. And Thank you.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Impressive credentials lol...yea right. Suck up? I would rather just do the job to the best of my ability.
You don't have to suck up to anybody, just do your job like you said. They hired you because they need you, in feeders all they really care about is safety so just get your loads from point A to point B without hitting anything and they'll love ya.

You don't have to suck up to anybody, just do your job like you said. They hired you because they need you, in feeders all they really care about is safety so just get your loads from point A to point B without hitting anything and they'll love ya.
Makes sense to me. Thanks

P

pickup

They are going to ram the 5 seeing habits and 10 points Depth of Knowledge commentary into your ears and eyes and expect you to spit them out of your mouth within 5 minutes of being exposed to them

http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/driver-training-pc-final-exam.356393/page-2

Above is one of the threads referring to 5 seeing habit, 10 point DOK and othe stuff. I got it from using the search function. I am sure that there is much more pertaining to this that can be found using the search function.
Thanks for the info. I have seen that info by searching. I was not sure which info was for feeder orientation. We have received nothing to study or uniforms.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
you should be OK. at UPS safety is the key. the mistakes I see new drivers make is that they think they can impress the company by going fast.

don't cut corners. do it by the book.

btw. you'll get a lot of negativity from "seasoned UPS feeder drivers" DON'T listen to them. they are spoiled brats.

I was hired off the street 25 years ago and know.

welcome.