New hire here

P

pgraening

Opie, rushfan is sooo right. Stay with it. I have made huge changes in my life for this job, because I like it, and, thanks to my attitude and my willingness to improve, I've been approved for seniority. It took me a while to get there but now I'm happy. As for work methods, DO NOT let anyone who shows bad habits tell you what to do. We have a person like that in our hub, and he is yelled at often enough for his safety habits that his advice is pretty useless.

As for the making a sup lift an O-70, sorry folks, I know, union brothers should lift it, but when you're understaffed you just gotta go with the flow. We are not as militant as some people are when it comes to supervisors helping out, because we just want to get the job done, not bicker over who gets to do it. An "us vs. them" mentality won't make things any better.

As for the women, and other workers, don't try to compete with anyone, not yet. Give yourself a few months to get used to the workout - you can't just jump right it and hit the same speeds as a 2-year veteran unloader. I tried doing that my first night, and you know what happened? I threw up. Pace yourself the first few weeks and you'll be glad you did.

Have fun!

O

opie

We already yesterday had one person quit out of 5 on just the 4th day. I'm done with the classes, and now today I go training with a trainer. My HUB does not have the "Learn & Earn Program". So, my only option of getting aid for school might to take the early AM shift. I heard you have to get retrained if you transfer to a different time or different HUB. If the early AM shift does not give any money for school, then that will only increase the likelyhood of me leaving in the future. People who are in the "Learn & Earn Program" stay with UPS twice as longer than those who don't. I'm not in the union, and won't be until January. I will be loading and I better get good training. There is a lot more I need to learn. I don't care about the benefits, all I want is money for school and if my HUB doesn't offer any, then I don't know what I'll do. I also noticed that many of the loaders don't abide by many rules and regulations. They don't use the ladder/stand, they just throw packages to the top of the wall of boxes. They kick and toss boxes and curse when it gets to be too much. And they have to always go out and clear those stupid jams. When I am on my own, I'm going to try to go at my own pace. I will try not to care how many packages I have to load, because some guys when they see a lot of packages coming are overwhelmed and start to panic and cuss etc. So today will be my first taste of the action.

U

upslocal480

Opie...do the loaders in your building have to scan each package and check for missorts or do you just load them only? Also...Do you guys/girls typically get assigned 3 or 4 trailers to load or what? And how many PDs do you have there...if any. These might seem like stupid questions but the things I'm asking about mean a world of difference for loaders.

D

dannyboy

Jonny B, I am glad I re-read your post. I thought it said that my best freind came into the shower........well Im just glad I re-read

I got to work 6 days before Christmas, and then was laid off. I liked the work, and it fit into my school life, so I made a royal pain out of myself. Every morning on the way to school, I would stop by the center. On February 3rd they told me to start again on the 4th. Said "well since you are here anyway, you might as well work".

I think that UPS likes people to be motivated to go after the job. I guess they figure that if you work hard to get the job, you will work hard to keep it also. History is full of people that were rejected. The difference between the loosers and the winners is that the winners never quit, no matter how many times they were turned down. History is also full of loosers that had they known how close they really were to the goal, they might have kept on. But they didnt.

Now 30 years later I have just one small bit of advice for newcomers. Find a good worker that has been around for a long while and let him mentor you. You can learn a lot from him like working smart instead of hard. And most of the "lifers" at UPS will take you under their wings to help if you ask. Many of the part time management only care about numbers. To them you are just that, something to get the job done. They have their own little world to work in.

But as others have said, stay in school and get your degree. Then if your future and UPS can mesh, go for it.

The best!

d

O

opie

Yes, upslocal480, all loaders must read, scan and load every package. And they must check for missorts too. I'm not sure how many trailers we have to load. Maybe just one, but I'm not sure. What is a "PD"? Today was my first taste, supposedly with a "trainer". Those guys in the green shirts, but another kid not in a green shirt trained us. Basically telling us how to load and supervising us. I was loading with another new hire. On the red belt, which is considered to be pretty rough. I was told in my classes, that we wouldn't be thrown out there. But, we were. It was hard work, I worked up a sweat. My back is sore and my elbow etc. But, I guess my opinion as of now, it isn't that bad. We'll see as time goes along how I feel about working at UPS. I talked with the HR manager, and I'm sure that I will want to work the preload/Eary AM shift, because of the tuition reimursement and extra pay. Though preload is totally different so I might have to get retrained.
-
Frustrated, I would take the seasonal opportunity. Maybe you can get a permanent job if you do well and if some people "turn over". 45 miles is a long drive, there is no UPS Hub closer to you? Good luck.

F

frustrated

My other job is also around that area, so its really not "too far" for me. I also know people both inside and outside of UPS, that live near there, in case the weather gets bad.

A

attaboy

Frustrated, I count three strikes against you. You already have a full time job, which UPS assumes will be your top priority over a part time job, strike one. At 30 years old your pushing or past the age UPS considers prime for a part timer, the company likes 'em young and full of themselves, no kids yet that use benifits, they like you in school so you despritely need the money or are likely to move on after you get a degree, strike two. You want to stay, turnover is the name of the game for UPS and parttimers, the longer you stay the more raises you get, more benifits like vacations, time off and senority, and after 5-7 years in the part time most develope the "Attitude", strike three.

F

frustrated

So what you are saying, is that I'm not understanding the UPS philosophy ? I believe it is a good place to work, based on various independent reports. On their website, they promote families as part timers, not just college students. Some of the people I know, are slightly older than me, and have been hired.

I guess I can't see the logic, of creating a "churn and burn" workforce as you describe.

My belief is they would want dependable employees, rather than a group of " may shows"

D

dannyboy

Stike 4 is that you will probably stay with it long enough to draw some retirement. Many of the part timers that move through the system dont stay long enough to be able to draw.

d

T

tieguy

Frustrated,
I hired for UPS before I'll tell you what I see and what you have to convince UPS you can overcome. In telling you I'm not trying to piss you off. When I look at your information I see someone that is burning the candle at both ends. Working a full-time job , working this part time job and then taking your 45 mile drive home. That is a long , long hard day. Our past experience has shown us that most people don't stick it out because its just plain too hard to do everything your attempting to do. That part time benifit job will work you to death. It may be harder then anything you've done before. Your looking at a lifestyle where you will be dead tired all week with only about 4 to 5 hours of a sleep a day and very little time to see your family. Your turnover risk is very high. The HR department and the inside operation is held accontable for their turnover frequency. However because you keep calling all the time they think you might have the drive to stick it out. They are willing to take a chance on you. The safe answer for them is to hire you as a xmas/ seasonal hire. If you turnover as such it does not count against them as bad because all seasonals turnover anyway at the end of the year. The seasonal job is the chance you are looking for. If you do a good job you will certainly have the opportunity to get hired back permanently when positions open up next year.

F

frustrated

The beauty of my "full time " job is, it is essentially part time. I probably "work" 20 -30 hours a week. It is not physical labor. I drive that daily to my "job", so I'm there anyway. I'm a divorced Dad, so I have "extra" time to be productive. Weekends are free, at UPS & My other Job. I figure a 50-60 hour work week total. That is not out of the realm of normal employment. I appreciate all of your insight, and any additional would be helpful.

T

toonertoo

Frustrated, I have to tell you that you are thinking correctly. I used to drive 70 minutes to work at UPS. And I made it every day for 4 1/2 yrs, when some 10 minutes away couldnt get out of their driveway. It is "that" worth it. Then I moved 2 minutes away, and hated it, now I drive 45 minutes and its a walk in the park. The guy that hired me back in the early 80's also mentioned that and the fact that I had children which may take priority over work if they get sick or something. A good personnel management person would look at your work record, your schooling, and your references, and appearance. And the background check, and fingerprinting should rule out you being a terrorist. And a good personnel person should have the insight to see a good employee when they are sitting in front of them. With as much of a turnover as there is in PT employment, I would think a persistent person, driven to excel would be hired gladly, instead of admonishing them for "living too far away", by their standards. And if you are only applying for PT, I dont see the big deal as you would be working maybe 60 hrs a week, and many UPSERS get close to that every week.

F

fups

zzzZZZzzzZZZ...ZZZ home skillets....just cowboy up.... stop crying about any of this HUB RAT work and just do it... simple Ace shiznit!!!!i'll work m ost of you's guys straight out ...on a 4 beer buzz.... come on... ( and i have....in the past)

pgraening .... chill dude ... your a freakin' GREEN HORN...just hold up a minute with the question ,, put at least a year in then start saying something...DAMN.... who been drankin??? again

we ain't got no band RANDY!!!!!!!

F

frustrated

Is it common for UPS to bring you back for a "tour" of the job site. They didn't do that for me last time, which makes me optimistic. Anybody want to give me their take on the preload/unload job ? {Hard but not unbearable, brutal etc.}

A

afups

Frustrated:

Please read all the appropriate posts made to the appropriate threads during the last month. I am sure you will find all the answers you ever wanted and then some. Good luck to you.

T

tieguy

Second tour or second interview as it should be called. were you interviewed by an operations supervisor when you did the tour? Your definitely one step closer.

F

frustrated

I arrived around 5:15, for a 5:30 Tour {AM} I was the only one. Around 6:00 the HR person approached me, and asked if anyone had come over.The individual stated he/she may have been busy and not been able to give me the tour. The HR person graciously gave me a good tour. I was told the Operations individual would normally have been involved, but they are working on a new system.

I'm still very optimistic, and hope I get the call.

Anybody have any thoughts ??

O

opie

Today is my last day of training. And so tomorrow I will be on my own. I will be loading. And so far, I have no real opinion of my job at UPS. I've been loading the same trailer for the past 3 days and will probably load the same one again today. I've only had to load about 600 packages, and then they let me go home at about 9-9:15 p.m. I really don't care about hours, the sooner I go home the better. The trailer I've been loading is light compared to most of the other ones. I don't know if I can handle those trailers which have the really heavy volume and many over 70's. I have many bruises on my legs, scrapes and other minor injuries. I guess its expected at this kind of job. But, eventually I will have to go to the more difficult trailers, it might even be tomorrow. I'm with a trainer, and today is my last day with him. It is not an easy job, and if they don't put me in a position/situation that I can't handle, then maybe I'll do okay. I expect guidance from my superiors, I hope they won't let me die in there. Some of the other loaders I've talked to, don't like the job and may eventually just quit. A few might like it, I only met one who does. The average time somebody lasts is 6 weeks, I hope I can last that long. I am considering of exploring other options for employment just in case my job turns out to be hell. We'll see....