New hire here

D

dammor

"I have many bruises on my legs, scrapes and other minor injuries."

Opie, sounds like it's time for you to file for workers comp. I don't mean to sound rude, but you don't sound like you have the moxie for this sort of job. That's OK though, many don't. Point is, if you have other interests you might want to pursue them. Good Luck.

E

eddie138301

Run like hell is coming. I have worked at ups for 21 years and I would not recomend this job for anyone. Part-timers are treated like crap from the drivers and management. I have never worked for a place that will make you lose your temper more than anything else on earth. They will try to get you to give your money to the united way but when something happens to you or your family and you need a day or two off to cope with it, good luck. RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F

feederdryver

eddie-

You must like being treated like crap or you wouldn't have stayed for 21 years !!

Why didn't you go full time? Or maybe you tried...
Probably just can't break it off with Mary Jane huh?

Guys like you really piss me off ! I was part time for 10 years before I got my oppurtunity to go full time. If I lost my job at UPS today I would be S___ out of luck ! The economy is still down, health care coverage is through the roof, manufacturing jobs in the US are nearly extinct, and unemployment is at it's highest in 20 years.

And your gonna sit there and whine like a little baby about how bad your treated at UPS. You sound just like a spoiled brat. You better be thankful you got a good job with a very good company that's holding their ground during these tough times. No wonder the drivers treat you like crap, I don't blame them.

Waaaaaaaaa Waaaaaaaaaa

P

proups

opie: the first two weeks are the hardest....then it is a piece of cake.

Read upslocal480's posts about the job.....he is correct.

O

opie

Maybe it's the other way around. The first two weeks are easy and then it gets harder. It's supposed to get harder. I'm on the training belt right now and hope to be eased in, and not overwhelmed. I have no plans on quitting anytime soon. I waited over two months to get this job. And plus I guess I am getting paid more than I thought I was. I thought I was getting $8.50/hr and then got my paycheck and I calculated it to be $9.50/hr. Unless it was an error. It would be very difficult to leave a job which I feel is paying me good money for someone my age. UPS signed a new contract with the union last year, so I don't know when I'll get my raises or benefits etc. I have the "moxie", I am going to try my best and hope that I made the right choice by deciding to work at UPS.

T

toonertoo

Bruises are good, sounds like you are being initiated. I was so bruised when I started I was asked by someone if I was beaten by my spouse. No just my job I replied. It is hard, and during peak it gets tougher. No one will leave you there to die, if you are sincerely trying, but if you are not and they have to carry you, they will bury you. Its not for everyone, but stick it out and it will make you stronger physically and you will be part of a very strong team, as only the best stay at UPS. That is why we are where we are in the package delivery world.

F

frustrated

Can anyone tell me the starting pay ? Is it $8.50, $9.50 etc.I was told that the new "system" will eliminate pre-load being a skilled job. Does that mean everyone will be $8.50. When are you eligible for benefits, and approximately, how much does it cost for a family plan.

D

dammor

Opie,
Sounds like you are hanging in. Perhaps you do have the moxie. Tooner is correct about peak. It's a month of hell. A fellow driver here made the statement that he liked peak because it showed what each of us are made of. That's a true statement. Some crumble, whine, and have a fit everyday, and some try to stay upbeat and just get it done even if it takes 12 hours to do it. Then we get up the next day and do it again.
Make an effort to be around the folks with good attitudes. It's amazing how much attitude and laughter can improve any situation. Good luck to you.

O

opie

I am proud to be working at UPS. Because in my opinion UPS is a highly respectable company. A mult-billion dollar company with a rich history which is nearly 100 years old. I used to work in a supermarket, but now I am getting paid like $4 more per hour at UPS. I work less hours and basically will be getting the same pay or even more per week then my old job. Plus, at my old job I would work at all different times, but at UPS the schedule always remains the same. And there are a lot of other benefits at UPS. There are many incentives for me to stay at UPS. It hasn't been that bad yet. I sweat and strain, but I deal with it. I mumble to myself and curse at the packages, but that's normal I guess. It's going to get harder, as I will be placed in more higher volume feeders soon. I'm going to give my best because so far I kinda like working at UPS.

P

proups

Opie: When I say the first two weeks are the toughest, it is because you are getting in UPS shape. I went from easy loads in my first two weeks to the hardest load on the belt in my third week - it filled up two forty foot drop frames a night. I just would not let it beat me.

With today's scanning added to checking every package for zip, state, city, I doubt you will be asked to load as much as the loaders 20 years ago, but you will be expected to pull your weight.

As other have posted - it's all about attitude! Stay positive.

O

over9five

"Make an effort to be around the folks with good attitudes"

Perhaps the best advice for all. Listening (too much) to negative people will bring you down. Remember websites such as this one and Teamsternet attract mostly people with complaints, and do not always reflect the opinions of the majority.

D

dammor

Were I the one that did the hiring here at UPS I would look for a person that was up, ready to get after it, and didn't have an established attitude. JMO

N

nevadapaul

Frustrated - don't you have an HR person to ask these questions??? Apparently you do not know how to ask a question of an HR person.

T

tieguy

Frustrated preload job is 9:50 once you gain seniority, 8:50 just about everywhere else. Beni's depend on your area and local supplement most have acquire some type of basic medical coverage after 90 days.

O

opie

For some reason I'm getting paid $9.50 per hour according to my first paycheck. I work in the evening shift in the outbound. I thought I was supposed to get $8.50. Could it be an error? They can't lower my pay, right? So, if my next check comes and it's $8.50 an hour, should I complain?

F

frustrated

Thanks for the clarification on rate, and benefits. I really just want to get in the door. Hopefully I hear in the next two weeks.

P

proups

opie: bring that to the attention of your Sup. If you are loading in the PM, and are not a qualified sorter, then you should get $8.50/hour.

Better you tell your Sup now than wait and let the company catch the error - better reflection of your character.

N

nevadapaul

Opie, you may have some orientation pay on your check that may not reflect the hours.

O

opie

Yes, I received $100 in orientation pay plus one day of work which was $32.11. Which totaled $132.11 minus taxes and deductions it came out to $111.34. I worked 3.38 hours and got paid $32.11. Multiply $9.50 by 3.38 and you get $32.11. I am not going to mention anything to anyone. If UPS is overpaying me, it's their problem. UPS knows that I am a loader. But, maybe at my HUB $9.50 is the starting pay. Maybe UPS raised the pay? I don't know, we'll see this Thursday if I'm still getting $9.50 an hour.

S

smf0605

OPIE: I am not going to mention anything to anyone. If UPS is overpaying me, it's their problem.

I'd take proups's advice. Not only will you come out the better person, but keep in mind, if you are being overpaid, when they find out,UPS will take the money back.