New hire here

T

tim

Proups you are out of line. As Opie said you don't work where he does. You have to believe Opie. He asked around and got the facts concerning his pay. There could be many reasons why his HUB has higher pay. Maybe all HUBS have raised pay? Maybe his HUB has a hard time hiring or retaining people? There could be a million reasons why. You sound jealous proups. Maybe you should do an investigation and find out what HUB's are starting at $9.50 for the PM shift. And get your facts straight. Because you are out of line.

P

parttimejon

national master
united parcel service
agreement
start preloader(sorter)9.50
all others 8.50
start plus 90 calender days 10.00
plus 1 year 10.50

O

opie

About 4 months ago everybody's pay in my HUB was raised by $1. That would be the loaders/unloaders/sorters etc. I'm not sure if pay was raised in other HUBs. My pay is $9.50 per hour, and I will be getting $10 in a matter of weeks. So it was never ever an error. And I think this type of job deserves $9.50 just to start. Most of the employees working in the inside are young, and it is good pay for them including me. Most teenagers and college aged kids are not getting $9.50. Sure, we don't get the hours but nobody is going to depend on the pay for a living.

F

frustrated

Well, after my second interview/tour;I was told to wait two weeks until a decision was made.

This is week two, and I am calling tomorrow.

My driver told me a guy is retiring in less than a year, at a location close to me.

Maybe things are lining up......finally

Wish me luck !!

P

proups

Tim/Opie: you say I am wrong and out of line....did you look at the post from parttimejon? Here - I'll help you out:

national master
united parcel service
agreement
start preloader(sorter)9.50
all others 8.50
start plus 90 calender days 10.00
plus 1 year 10.50

These are the facts right from the National Master Agreement between the Teamsters and UPS. Pretty hard to ignore CONTRACT LANGUAGE. Case closed.

O

opie

I know how much I am getting, and it's $9.50 per hour. Everyone gets $9.50 per hour to start at my HUB in the PM shift. If you don't want to believe me, then don't. But, it's a fact. Maybe the HUB you work at is paying $9.50 too. I can show my pay stubs every week here and it will always say $9.50 an hour for the pay rate. I already talked with management and they confirmed that $9.50 is the starting pay rate at my HUB.

P

parttiemjon

my hub pays 15.60. No wait thats my pay rate. seriously... i have heard from a roanoke driver that they are paying more than the contract states because they have a hard time keeping people.. also heard that they give away prizes for good attendance.

P

proups

opie: you finally did what I told you to do in the first place - talk with management. Now you are clear!

UPS can pay you what amounts to sorters pay contractually, and that appears to be what they are doing. Wonder what happens when they get a corporate audit?

O

opie

parttiemjon may be right. Some and maybe even all the hubs have raised the pay because of the high turnover rate or some other reason. Some of my fellow co-workers think they get $8.50 per hour, but if they took a calculator out, they would find out that it is actually $9.50...And as for my job, I guess I'm doing okay. I moved into a higher volume feeder a few days ago. Which gets 1000+ packages a day, sometimes less. And it can get tough at times. Like today everything came at the same time, so I was just overwhelmed and eventually my part-time supervisor and another guy and even some guy from management help me out by loading. I sort of felt bad, because they loaded many packages for me and all I did was scan. I felt disappointed in myself that I wasn't able to keep up with the flow. I wished that the packages would come in a steady stream and not at one time. I'm sure I've had some missed scans today, but don't think I got any missorts. I overheard the pickoff guy(s) said to my part-time sup that I'm too slow in loading the feeder I'm in. Maybe they are right. I try my best, I give it all I got. Then I think why don't they try to load my feeder and see how they do. They probably would do a better job because they have more experience and strength etc. But, if they think I'm not able to load those heavy volume feeders, then I shouldn't be put in that kind of situation.

P

proups

opie: has your PT Sup been reviewing your training pack with you? He/She should be reviewing your service and performance every day during your new hire period.

By the way, if you do some more math, you will see that 1000+ packages is what is expected of a loader at UPS. Look at this:

3.5 guaranteed hours per day minus the 10 minute break eqautes to 3.33 hours actually worked. A loader is expected to load at 500-600 pieces per hour. That would equate to 1665-1998 packages a night.

Good luck getting there....and by the way, you can do it. I've seen 98 pound women do it!

O

opie

No, I've have not seen my training pack in a while. About a week or two ago, some guy just came to me and wanted me to sign some of the pages in the training book. The 10 minute break is counted into the actual amount of hours worked. I did not get a break this past Friday, but I did receive breaks every day up to this past Friday. My part-time supervisor would load for me when I'm on break and he would do the same for the other guys on my belt. I don't know whether every part-time supervisor will be as helpful as mine. Because some people may not want to take a break if nobody is going to fill in for them for 10 minutes, because when they come back they will backed up to the moon. My trainer said at a minimum that you only have to load about 3 packages per minute. And it depends on the flow you get, sometimes it could be minutes before something comes down. The trailer which I was in this past week, is probably the best that I can do. Which is about 1000-1100 packages a night. I needed a lot of help on Friday, but on the two previous days I loaded/scanned the same amount with some help from my part-time supervisor. If I go in something like the "ride", I'm going to need help and usually nobody can do the "ride" by themselves. I think I should do okay at this job as long I try my best, people know that I'm not superman. That I'm going to need help in getting those over 70's into my trailer. Some guys can load those over 70's by themselves, but not me. So, if I show up everyday and on time and try my best, I hope to get of loading and go into something less physical. I need a lot of luck, proups, and I am not going to give in like so many have at this job.

P

parttimejon

i have... but in the case that i'm wrong what page is that on? cause this could raise some serious issues in my hub

O

opie

I'm hanging in. It can be tough at times and discouraging. My part-time supervisor is on vacation this week, so whoever takes his place, hopefully he won't put me in a position that I can't handle. I should be reaching senority this week, if they count the weekends into the days until senority. If they don't count the weekends then I'll have to wait 2 more weeks. So, I guess once I get senority I will have job security and some other incentives maybe, but I don't know what. As long as I try my best and show that I want to work at UPS, I will have my job. Even if I have problems loading heavy trailers, I shouldn't be let go. I believe that I have other qualities besides strength that make me an asset to UPS.

N

nevadapaul

The last two sentences of your last post makes me hope you get washed out. You really seem like management for the golden arches.

D

dammor

nevada,

I guess one has more time to be just flat mean during retirement. I'm working on my attitude as we speak. Watch out opie, 5 more years and I will be as cranky as nevada.

L

local804

Ptjohn, Its in article 5 section 3 of the 804 book.It states There shall be one relief break for all seniority part-timers up to ten minutes.I dont think it would be in the master agreement but do think its in your locals. The next time you see your business agent or shop steward, open your mouth and ask him what you are entitled to.I know all locals have different things added and taken away from them but you wont know till you ask or look in the book again.