New Hire, Keep asking me to go to a supervisor role!

1Simplemann

Don't do it kid. As some one else on here said, either your the best employee they've ever seen or they just don't have anyone else to do the job. There's a reason why the job is open and it's not because the old PT sup got promoted. I'll let you figure out why the position is open. If you wanna drive then, pay your dues, work the crappy schedule and some day you'll drive. Long term investment.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
As the name suggest I recently (still haven't made seniority) and the hub I am at is short staffed across the board (drivers preload and supervisors) so basically I was "thrown to the wolves" when I started preloading the second day and did 3 trucks with very little help, which is fine I prefer to learn that way. Personally I love the job and apparently I am good at it. I am around 180 pph and it is only increasing.

On my second day working I was approached by HR, and they asked if I was interested in going into a supervisor role which I said I would have to get back to them ( in all honesty I want to drive and that's all) well, my belt line supervisor also has asked me recently and now a pretty high up hub manager (I have no idea what his official title is, but I know all the supervisors wait on him hand and foot basically) and I were walking together and then he said "Hey Steve (not my real name), I want to promote you to a pt sup as soon as possible, I have heard nothing but good things from all your sups." I honestly didn't think he would remember me (he came in to introduce himself the first day) and I told him I would have to think about it. Just to be clear I want to drive eventually and that's about it. In time that might change but for now I am pretty solid on the idea to move to a driver role after I wreck my knees and back preloading for however long it takes to drive.

Which I why I come to hear and ask some fellow upsers. Any info or guidance or suggestions will be appreciated.

You just got here, and they want to promote you into PT supervision. Doesn't that seem peculiar to you? Remember, you just got here.

Maybe they just need bodies in billets, and want to snag you before you become enlightened. Maybe they can't find anybody else to take it, because it's a dead-end, thankless, whipping boy job that no one else would even consider taking.

Loyal Teamster

As the name suggest I recently (still haven't made seniority) and the hub I am at is short staffed across the board (drivers preload and supervisors) so basically I was "thrown to the wolves" when I started preloading the second day and did 3 trucks with very little help, which is fine I prefer to learn that way. Personally I love the job and apparently I am good at it. I am around 180 pph and it is only increasing.

On my second day working I was approached by HR, and they asked if I was interested in going into a supervisor role which I said I would have to get back to them ( in all honesty I want to drive and that's all) well, my belt line supervisor also has asked me recently and now a pretty high up hub manager (I have no idea what his official title is, but I know all the supervisors wait on him hand and foot basically) and I were walking together and then he said "Hey Steve (not my real name), I want to promote you to a pt sup as soon as possible, I have heard nothing but good things from all your sups." I honestly didn't think he would remember me (he came in to introduce himself the first day) and I told him I would have to think about it. Just to be clear I want to drive eventually and that's about it. In time that might change but for now I am pretty solid on the idea to move to a driver role after I wreck my knees and back preloading for however long it takes to drive.

Which I why I come to hear and ask some fellow upsers. Any info or guidance or suggestions will be appreciated.

Nobody here can tell u wht to do, but i highly recommend u start thinking about long term perspectives. I think "management" is ur best option. It'll be a while b4 u start driving. And Amazon is predicted to take over the market in 10 years.
If you go into management now, at least you'll have some experience and a skillset applicable in the outside world. So long term ur looking @ 2 options, drive for Amazon @ min wage, or get a highpaying management position.

Thanks,
Ĺoyal Teamster

We Love Logistics
Make Amerixca Great Again 2016

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
image.jpeg
Nobody here can tell u wht to do, but i highly recommend u start thinking about long term perspectives. I think "management" is ur best option. It'll be a while b4 u start driving. And Amazon is predicted to take over the market in 10 years.
If you go into management now, at least you'll have some experience and a skillset applicable in the outside world. So long term ur looking @ 2 options, drive for Amazon @ min wage, or get a highpaying management position.

Thanks,
Ĺoyal Teamster

We Love Logistics

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day

Thanks,
Ĺoyal Teamster

We Love Logistics
You do have a point.
Every other thread on bc is about how much driving sucks and not to make it a career.
Consider management and use tuition reimbursement.
Then move on to greener pastures

BLACKBALLED

As the others have said, you dont want to be a pt sup. they will crap all over you, you will have little management support if you need to discipline a Union employee, the pay is good for a month until you realize you have accepted a dead end job.