New Hire- Looking at Road Driver or Feeder advice

Hey everyone,

So I just got hired as a seasonal package delivery driver up here in Oregon. I know the odds are stacked against me to stay on after the holidays, but I am still going to bust my a** and let them know I would like to make a career here. I have my CDL and got it so that I could eventually be a road driver or a feeder driver for UPS. My question is- Is there any way if I was with UPS for a few years and kept a good driving record that they might consider me for a road driver/ feeder position without having the 1 year tractor/trailer experience required? I only have a few months CDL exp. right now. I quit my over the road job to go to UPS, hoping I could stay on past the holidays. (Over the road pay is less than minimum wage when you factor in a 14 hour work day, plus 2-4 weeks away from the family.)
Any other advice in hoping to keep my position after 1/1/17 would also be appreciated! Thanks all!

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Even with a CDL, you will most assuredly be required to go to some kind of UPS feeder training, if anything to familiarize you with UPS equipment and procedures. Having a CDL doesn't give you a leg up over other drivers as far as I know. Everything is seniority.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
We hire feeder drivers every peak. They make more money too. $25 or more per hour.

Don't waste your time in package if you have a CDL.

Don't waste your time in package if you have a CDL.

I am just trying to get my foot in the door, I would love to use my CDL at UPS but just wanted to know if they'll count my time as a pkg delivery driver towards my 1 year exp required to drive a big rig. Thanks UpstateNYUPSer for the info!

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Hey everyone,

So I just got hired as a seasonal package delivery driver up here in Oregon. I know the odds are stacked against me to stay on after the holidays, but I am still going to bust my a** and let them know I would like to make a career here. I have my CDL and got it so that I could eventually be a road driver or a feeder driver for UPS. My question is- Is there any way if I was with UPS for a few years and kept a good driving record that they might consider me for a road driver/ feeder position without having the 1 year tractor/trailer experience required? I only have a few months CDL exp. right now. I quit my over the road job to go to UPS, hoping I could stay on past the holidays. (Over the road pay is less than minimum wage when you factor in a 14 hour work day, plus 2-4 weeks away from the family.)
Any other advice in hoping to keep my position after 1/1/17 would also be appreciated! Thanks all!

If you're thinking about feeders, busting your ass has nothing to do with the job. In fact, it's more likely to get you in an accident. It's all about working smart and safe, not hard.

If you're thinking about feeders, busting your ass has nothing to do with the job. In fact, it's more likely to get you in an accident. It's all about working smart and safe, not hard.
Awesome, thats more what I meant by that, working hard but efficiently and safely as well. Keeping a clean nose...

battym

If you put the time in with your otr job,you could have applied to be a seasonal feeder driver,and taken your chances with that to get hired perm. you would atleast have made good money in the short time with ups doing that. IF you were kept on as a package driver,you'd have to wait your turn to go feeder

fedx

Extra Large Package
If you put the time in with your otr job,you could have applied to be a seasonal feeder driver,and taken your chances with that to get hired perm. you would atleast have made good money in the short time with ups doing that. IF you were kept on as a package driver,you'd have to wait your turn to go feeder
Do package drivers really want to switch to driving feeders that often? I mean you'd be working 3rd shift and you'd have to learn how to drive a semi. Yeah it's a little more money, but is it enough to make them switch? I would think the whole going from 1st to 3rd shift would be enough that most package drivers don't want to go to feeders. True?

battym

Do package drivers really want to switch to driving feeders that often? I mean you'd be working 3rd shift and you'd have to learn how to drive a semi. Yeah it's a little more money, but is it enough to make them switch? I would think the whole going from 1st to 3rd shift would be enough that most package drivers don't want to go to feeders. True?
I would think most that want to go into feeders is because it's less physical..package is a tough job especially as you get older..a lot do want to switch but not all qualify

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
1st to 3rd shift would be enough that most package drivers don't want to go to feeders. True?
Yeah, you don't go into feeders and immediately work days. I worked nights for probably 5-7 years, then I worked afternoons/early nights for another 5 or so. I could have worked days my last 15 or so years in feeders, but I chose to work nights. Strictly a personal decision.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
They do it to flee management scum.